Advice Needed

Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice
Default Advice Needed

Hi all I posted a topic about international schools etc and I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to do etc. I've enquired at some schools and two of them Tenby & ELC will have vacancies for my youngest who's 11 years old but not my eldest who's 14 yrs old (sods law!)

I really need them both to attend the same school, but I'm panicking now just in case this isn't possible. We're looking to relocate from the UK in August this year but trying to sort out a school isn't as straighforward as I thought it would be.

I've also enquired at Garden International and there names would go on a waiting list which I understand is the usual practise in Malaysia, but we're trying to plan a family visit in June this year with the hope of tying in the kids sitting entrance exams etc at whichever school can accomodate them.

I have also enquired at Nexus International, but is sounds pretty much like a waiting game.

Did any of you guys find yourself in the same situation at all?

Thanks all
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:54 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed

Whybirda, is there a reason why you wouldnt consider AS? It is no more expensive than Garden International and has a far better reputation than Tenby and ELC.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

Hi AJW you are being a god send to me in my hour of need!, I've looked at AS but I think this maybe a little too far out from where we will be living in Subang?. I've already discounted ELC and Tenby so they aren't on the agenda anymore. I've also just had a reply from Nexus International to say they have vacancies in Sept for both of them which has given me a bit of hope, but the only thing is it's about a 30-40 min drive from where we will be living.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:19 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Whybirda, the Equine Park campus for AS is far from everyone! Practically all the kids who go there catch the bus so your kids wont be alone in having a longish journey home. Ask them about the bus routes. Really recommend you try and get info on the campus as its supposed to be amazing!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:38 am
ajw

Failing this, there also the International School at Desa Park City. Only been open for a year or so I believe.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot, I've looked at the International School in Desa Park City but they only cater for up to year 9 at the moment which is a shame. What school do your children attend?
The only thing that is putting me off AS is all the additional fees which some of the others don't charge, but anyway I'll keep thinking!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:50 am
ajw

I completely understand about the additional fee's, I felt that way also, but after almost a year later, it seems inconsequential. My son is in Reception at AS (so I am rather biased!). But I can honestly say that you hear nothing but positives about the school.... My little one is at kinder so a few years before we have to worry about her :-)
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

We have friends with children in AISM and NEXUS and they are very happy with both schools. It is very common for kids to catch the school bus here, even at a young age.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thnaks very much, I'm actually very interested in AISM as they've been very helpful and informative plus the price is quite reasonable and within our budget!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Hi saw you on another forum....I would add that at my school we have waiting lists long enough to build a new school. This is because the Malaysian government recently allowed Malaysians to send children to non-Malay schools ("International"=taught in English) so mad rush by mostly Chinese Malaysians to get out of Malay language schools. Of course many of these "international" schools are 95+% Malaysian and "fiddle" their figures as this is not allowed, but no one cares (Malaysians are very much like the Greeks - laws and taxes are only advisory lol) so often you have to take what you can get. Alice has has some issues so I hear (bad in-fighting within Management and some staff may leave) but like GIS is a "proper" International School - ie international students and properly qualified teachers