British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   2022 Movie Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/2022-movie-thread-942091/)

Jerseygirl Dec 27th 2021 6:28 pm

2022 Movie Thread

Please post the movie title and your comments in this thread, Also a link to the movie is very useful...you can find it here...https://www.imdb.com.

Jerseygirl Jan 2nd 2022 9:58 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread

Watching my 3rd fave movie…The Goodfellas.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/reference

dave_j Jan 4th 2022 12:56 am

For those old enough to have marvelled at this on their super yet cantakerous black and white set all those years ago.... one of my favourite early scifi/dystopean films is Alexander Korda's 1936 creation of HG Wells' 'Things to Come'.
It is of course dated and if you're picky it invites a degree of ridicule but to a youngster it fired the imagination and I still watch it occasionally.
The final scene ending with Raymond Massey's speech “Little animals. If we’re no more than animals, we must snatch each little scrap of happiness and live and suffer and pass, mattering no more than all the other animals do or have done. Is it this—or that: all the universe or nothing? Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?” still brings a lump to my throat.
This is a good description of the epic by Roger Russell who must have been as enthralled as I was.
http://www.roger-russell.com/thingscome/thingscome.htm

For anyone interested it's available for download on Kodi.

Shard Jan 4th 2022 9:57 pm

We Need to Talk About Kevin (Netflix) 2011

Quite a disturbing film. Have been meaning to watch for ten years, finally did.

Bo-Jangles Jan 4th 2022 11:22 pm

House of Gucci https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11214590/

Cinemas here only just reopened after lockdown, so it was a real treat to go to an actual movie theatre for the first time in months.

It's beautifully made and did go on a bit but the cast is great and Gaga is absolutely fabulous.

Jerseygirl Jan 4th 2022 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13086229)
House of Gucci https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11214590/

Cinemas here only just reopened after lockdown, so it was a real treat to go to an actual movie theatre for the first time in months.

It's beautifully made and did go on a bit but the cast is great and Gaga is absolutely fabulous.

Good to hear because I was looking forward to seeing it. So far all I have heard/read are bad reviews.

dave_j Jan 5th 2022 4:31 am

Another oldie but goldie, and of some relevance these days, the 1964 John Frankenheimer political thriller "Seven Days In May" is well presented, nicely paced and bears watching.
Like the US today, it more than hints at an unstable US political system where the ends justify the means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_in_May
I couldn't download from Kodi but it pops up occasionally on old movie channels and well worth recording when it does.

macliam Jan 6th 2022 6:34 pm

Belfast - Kenneth Branagh's film based on events in the late '60s.

It could easily have lapsed into a darker place, prophesying the near future, but instead it shows, shock of shocks, a mixed working-class neighbourhood facing up to the impact of increased sectarian volence. Ordinary people with ordinary issues caught up in an extraordinary situation, neighbours who had the usual rivalries, those who thought to face up to violence and those who wanted to turn away.

Although we are all aware of what the future will bring, the film keeps focus on the problems of one family - and sectarianism is not one of them. It's not an action film, but it doesn't shy away from the problems of the times - not just "the troubles", but poverty, unemployment and the threat to a community. It makes you see that there is good reason to hope for better things, once the men of violence are off the scene.

Oh, and it's in black and white except for some segments (which is an interesting visual!)

Derrygal Jan 6th 2022 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13086595)
Belfast - Kenneth Branagh's film based on events in the late '60s.

It could easily have lapsed into a darker place, prophesying the near future, but instead it shows, shock of shocks, a mixed working-class neighbourhood facing up to the impact of increased sectarian volence. Ordinary people with ordinary issues caught up in an extraordinary situation, neighbours who had the usual rivalries, those who thought to face up to violence and those who wanted to turn away.

Although we are all aware of what the future will bring, the film keeps focus on the problems of one family - and sectarianism is not one of them. It's not an action film, but it doesn't shy away from the problems of the times - not just "the troubles", but poverty, unemployment and the threat to a community. It makes you see that there is good reason to hope for better things, once the men of violence are off the scene.

Oh, and it's in black and white except for some segments (which is an interesting visual!)

I saw it about a month ago. First movie I had been to in a couple of years. I loved it! I think the fact that it was in black and white just made it seem more real. Loved the music too!

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2022 11:02 am

Everest…true story of the May 1996 expedition.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2719848/reference

Jerseygirl Jan 22nd 2022 3:47 pm

The Founder…the story of Ray Croc, who was responsible for turning a small restaurant into the McDonald’s we know today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276820/reference

Shard Jan 30th 2022 1:25 pm

Twister. Saw it 25 years ago when it came out and I would say it's still a good rollicking Hollywood film.

macliam Feb 11th 2022 7:08 pm

The King's Man, prequel to the Kingsman series.

I enjoyed the quirky humour of the first film, but felt that the second was milked and aimed at an American audience (nothing unusual there). This third outing takes that progression on steroids.

Given the cast of the prequel, I expected much and was bitterly disappointed.... setting reality to one side for the sake of entertainment is one thing, but trying to create a conspiracy based on historical characters is never going to work well..... particularly when their real stories are so well known. For me, several "key moments" of the plot failed to have any impact and the whole story was just too detatched from reality to stand up.

2/10

Shard Feb 12th 2022 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13094261)
The King's Man, prequel to the Kingsman series.

I enjoyed the quirky humour of the first film, but felt that the second was milked and aimed at an American audience (nothing unusual there). This third outing takes that progression on steroids.

Given the cast of the prequel, I expected much and was bitterly disappointed.... setting reality to one side for the sake of entertainment is one thing, but trying to create a conspiracy based on historical characters is never going to work well..... particularly when their real stories are so well known. For me, several "key moments" of the plot failed to have any impact and the whole story was just too detatched from reality to stand up.

2/10

I have not seen any of the Kings Man and don't know what history it's about. I did see the trailer and though, and thought I might give it a try. I have been warned !

Derrygal Feb 12th 2022 6:13 pm

I watched "Passing" on Netflix last weekend. It's directed by English actress Rebecca Hall. It's in black and white - I enjoyed it. Set in 1920s New York City. My 16 year old grand-daughter had read the book recently in her English class.

kimilseung Feb 12th 2022 9:01 pm

"Kimi" (no, nothing to do with me)
A Stephen Soderbergh film on HBO
Kimi, is a an AI speaker like Alexa, or Google, the main characters job is to listen to failed requests, and update the system with what should have happened.
One audio recording suggests a crime, that leads to her trying to report it, and the company trying to stop it.
The film is very much an updated version of "Rear Window" Its very open about that. Its a low key action movie too.
I do recommended, but its not going to be at the top of many peoples lists of movies of the decade. Maybe close for the year, so worth a watch, but no sweat if you dont have HBO access, either.

kimilseung Feb 13th 2022 6:16 pm

Belfast
I was surprised how much I was able to relate to this film, up until a point of course.
I recognized the streets, the sense of community, the free roaming as a kid. It had a nostalgia for family and community, that I recognize from what Terrance Davies had with "Distant Voices, Still Lives", I recognized the mixed community, the singing of Danny Boy (cliché though it may be) the few Catholics in a Protestant street., One family story was of the neighbors laughing at me, good naturedly as a Catholic kid following the Lodge band down the road, at the back, banging my own drum. Funny how so much seems familiar, from another country. The similarities end there of course, the communities I remember were broken because of the slum clearances, as well as people getting on their bikes for work, moving away, and getting funds for better housing. Work takes characters away in Belfast too, but its the violence and threat of violence that makes them move. Reluctant to do so, wishing to hold on to that community, that was being torn apart. Then aware that the Shangri-La, never was such.
The film seems to work because it is intimate, one family for the most part, and one small street. This macro focus seems to help paint a good picture for the whole. Its also welcome to have a drama, of this time and place, centered around a protestants' community. The film is also fairly devoid of politics, as much as the circumstances allow. and that too helps in seeing the chaos happening around a family, just wanting to live, how so often people can not isolate themselves from conditions and events. You are either drawn in or you manage to leave.

Shard Feb 18th 2022 3:05 pm

Munich: The Edge of War. Netflix. 8/10

Interesting dramatization of Chamberlain's ill fated attempt to avoid European war. Focus is on two young civil servants who in theory have the opportunity to change history. Great production quality, and always interesting to see pre-war Germany through a neutral lens.
​​​

Derrygal Feb 20th 2022 12:04 pm

I watched "The Lost Daughter" (Olivia Coleman and Dakota Johnson) on Netflix last night. I enjoyed it.

Derrygal Mar 6th 2022 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13095602)
Munich: The Edge of War. Netflix. 8/10

Interesting dramatization of Chamberlain's ill fated attempt to avoid European war. Focus is on two young civil servants who in theory have the opportunity to change history. Great production quality, and always interesting to see pre-war Germany through a neutral lens.
​​​

I watched this movie last night - very good movie.

BristolUK Mar 9th 2022 5:58 pm

I'm not watching it now but I intend to very soon because it's a classic that I just remembered.
Volere Volare. Or To Want To Fly.
The male character is a sound effects guy for cartoons and gradually turns into a cartoon of himself. It's very funny...cute too.

Derrygal Mar 12th 2022 9:45 pm

I just spent a snowy afternoon here watching "The Railway Man" on Netflix. Based on a true story. I think it was made back in 2013 (Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman). Some scenes were hard to watch but a good ending. About World War II and British prisoners of war held by the Japanese.

macliam Mar 12th 2022 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 13100934)
I just spent a snowy afternoon here watching "The Railway Man" on Netflix. Based on a true story. I think it was made back in 2013 (Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman). Some scenes were hard to watch but a good ending. About World War II and British prisoners of war held by the Japanese.

I watched it again when it was on TV a few weeks ago. It's a bit of a stretch from the actual story, but a good illustration of the long-term affects of traumatic events.

My late uncle was in the east during the war and met guys coming back from Burma.... he said that he understood the shock that those who liberated the concentration camps had felt, because it was almost impossible to think of those stick-men as having been young soldiers - and a good percentage still died after being liberated. After his "easy" war training engineers, he felt both guilty and relieved that he had never been caprtured......

BristolUK Mar 12th 2022 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 13094449)
"Kimi" (no, nothing to do with me)
A Stephen Soderbergh film on HBO
Kimi, is a an AI speaker like Alexa, or Google, the main characters job is to listen to failed requests, and update the system with what should have happened.
One audio recording suggests a crime, that leads to her trying to report it, and the company trying to stop it.
The film is very much an updated version of "Rear Window" Its very open about that. Its a low key action movie too.
I do recommended, but its not going to be at the top of many peoples lists of movies of the decade. Maybe close for the year, so worth a watch, but no sweat if you dont have HBO access, either.

I watched this tonight. Great fun. I certainly thought 'Rear Window' from the view from the apartment and many of the IMDB reviews mention it too.

I thought it also had the feel of Run Lola Run but that may have just been the character.

Shard Mar 13th 2022 1:18 pm

Not a movie, but almost (7/8) through Vikings Valhalla and really enjoy it. Thinking of converting to Norse paganism, a bit more interesting than atheism. Netflix.

Jolly Good Mar 13th 2022 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 13100934)

The book the movie was made from is also very good and tells the real story.

Rose68 Mar 13th 2022 6:00 pm

Hello, I came across this thread which I find very interesting, I've always been a keen film lover, and I just wanted to say how I was amazed and flabbergasted at the way Joaquin Phoenix interpreted his role in the film Joker. He really deserves the Oscar, absolutely fantastic.

macliam Mar 15th 2022 12:08 pm

Re: Lesbianshow in Wichita USA view 15 profiles

Originally Posted by Earlejearf (Post 13101403)
nothing relevant

yeah, I think you can find your own way to the door.... thank you for your short visit!

Shard Mar 15th 2022 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rose68 (Post 13101043)
Hello, I came across this thread which I find very interesting, I've always been a keen film lover, and I just wanted to say how I was amazed and flabbergasted at the way Joaquin Phoenix interpreted his role in the film Joker. He really deserves the Oscar, absolutely fantastic.

There is one for 2020 and 2021 if you're interested in past discussions. It's called the 2020 Movie Thread I believe.

Have not seen Joker yet, but I've heard it's better than the other superhero films.

Rose68 Mar 15th 2022 5:36 pm

I was a bit skeptical in fact about watching this film, but it's really nothing to do with the usual 'superheroes' movies.

Jolly Good Mar 16th 2022 12:14 am

The Bombardment. On Netflix.
A British WWII bombing mission goes wrong and accidentally target innocent residents in Copenhagen. This is based on true events.

A heart wrenching story.

BristolUK Mar 22nd 2022 11:37 pm

Last night I watched an oldie but goldie. 1984's Top Secret from the Zuckers and Abraham team that brought us Police Squad, Naked Gun, Airplane and so on.

I hadn't seen it for over 30 years. I was killing myself with laughter throughout.

BristolUK Apr 16th 2022 12:07 am

This Is the End

Six Los Angeles celebrities are stuck in James Franco's house after a series of devastating events just destroyed the city. Inside, the group not only have to face the apocalypse, but themselves
It has its tiresome moments but some funny parts too, including an Exorcist scene, and a great ending that made the annoying bits worth it.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2022 11:56 pm

If anyone wants a light hearted giggle, there's Murder on the Blackpool Express.
It's a little cringey but I enjoyed it.

I have Death on the Tyne lined up for tomorrow and in getting the link above, I see there's another one - Dial M for Middlesbrough. :lol:

BristolUK Apr 23rd 2022 9:51 am

I enjoyed Death on the Tyne a couple nights ago and then watched the new version of Death on the Nile last night..

I was surprised to see 'Maeve' from the very good Sex Education show as well as French and Saunders. My, do they look a lot older than I remember them. :ohmy:

Jolly Good Apr 24th 2022 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13109645)
I enjoyed Death on the Tyne a couple nights ago and then watched the new version of Death on the Nile last night..

I was surprised to see 'Maeve' from the very good Sex Education show as well as French and Saunders. My, do they look a lot older than I remember them. :ohmy:

Death on the Nile was a bit odd, I thought. But it might be because there will only ever be one Poirot for me!

( I did like the French and Saunders input though)

BristolUK Apr 25th 2022 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jolly Good (Post 13109985)
Death on the Nile was a bit odd, I thought. But it might be because there will only ever be one Poirot for me!

( I did like the French and Saunders input though)

Did you try KB's Murder on the Orient Express? I think that one was a bit more traditional.

Jolly Good Apr 25th 2022 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13110213)
Did you try KB's Murder on the Orient Express? I think that one was a bit more traditional.

Yes. It was better.

Expatrick Apr 26th 2022 8:33 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13110213)

Didn't think it was as good as previous versions.

Jolly Good May 18th 2022 6:09 pm

Netflix. Operation Mincemeat with Colin Firth.

Based on a true story from WW2. I enjoyed it but the husband said the book is a lot better and the original movie was better as well. He thought there were too many extra unnecessary stories that ruined the flow of the real story.

The original movie was made in 1956 and called The Man who Never Was. I guess we need to watch it so I can see if I agree with him!