British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   2022 Movie Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/2022-movie-thread-942091/)

Jerseygirl Dec 27th 2021 6:28 pm

2022 Movie Thread
 
Please post the movie title and your comments in this thread, Also a link to the movie is very useful...you can find it here...https://www.imdb.com.

Jerseygirl Jan 2nd 2022 9:58 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
Watching my 3rd fave movie…The Goodfellas.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/reference

dave_j Jan 4th 2022 12:56 am

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
For those old enough to have marvelled at this on their super yet cantakerous black and white set all those years ago.... one of my favourite early scifi/dystopean films is Alexander Korda's 1936 creation of HG Wells' 'Things to Come'.
It is of course dated and if you're picky it invites a degree of ridicule but to a youngster it fired the imagination and I still watch it occasionally.
The final scene ending with Raymond Massey's speech “Little animals. If we’re no more than animals, we must snatch each little scrap of happiness and live and suffer and pass, mattering no more than all the other animals do or have done. Is it this—or that: all the universe or nothing? Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?” still brings a lump to my throat.
This is a good description of the epic by Roger Russell who must have been as enthralled as I was.
http://www.roger-russell.com/thingscome/thingscome.htm

For anyone interested it's available for download on Kodi.

Shard Jan 4th 2022 9:57 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
We Need to Talk About Kevin (Netflix) 2011

Quite a disturbing film. Have been meaning to watch for ten years, finally did.

Bo-Jangles Jan 4th 2022 11:22 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
House of Gucci https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11214590/

Cinemas here only just reopened after lockdown, so it was a real treat to go to an actual movie theatre for the first time in months.

It's beautifully made and did go on a bit but the cast is great and Gaga is absolutely fabulous.

Jerseygirl Jan 4th 2022 11:32 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13086229)
House of Gucci https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11214590/

Cinemas here only just reopened after lockdown, so it was a real treat to go to an actual movie theatre for the first time in months.

It's beautifully made and did go on a bit but the cast is great and Gaga is absolutely fabulous.

Good to hear because I was looking forward to seeing it. So far all I have heard/read are bad reviews.

dave_j Jan 5th 2022 4:31 am

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
Another oldie but goldie, and of some relevance these days, the 1964 John Frankenheimer political thriller "Seven Days In May" is well presented, nicely paced and bears watching.
Like the US today, it more than hints at an unstable US political system where the ends justify the means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_in_May
I couldn't download from Kodi but it pops up occasionally on old movie channels and well worth recording when it does.

macliam Jan 6th 2022 6:34 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
Belfast - Kenneth Branagh's film based on events in the late '60s.

It could easily have lapsed into a darker place, prophesying the near future, but instead it shows, shock of shocks, a mixed working-class neighbourhood facing up to the impact of increased sectarian volence. Ordinary people with ordinary issues caught up in an extraordinary situation, neighbours who had the usual rivalries, those who thought to face up to violence and those who wanted to turn away.

Although we are all aware of what the future will bring, the film keeps focus on the problems of one family - and sectarianism is not one of them. It's not an action film, but it doesn't shy away from the problems of the times - not just "the troubles", but poverty, unemployment and the threat to a community. It makes you see that there is good reason to hope for better things, once the men of violence are off the scene.

Oh, and it's in black and white except for some segments (which is an interesting visual!)

Derrygal Jan 6th 2022 9:33 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13086595)
Belfast - Kenneth Branagh's film based on events in the late '60s.

It could easily have lapsed into a darker place, prophesying the near future, but instead it shows, shock of shocks, a mixed working-class neighbourhood facing up to the impact of increased sectarian volence. Ordinary people with ordinary issues caught up in an extraordinary situation, neighbours who had the usual rivalries, those who thought to face up to violence and those who wanted to turn away.

Although we are all aware of what the future will bring, the film keeps focus on the problems of one family - and sectarianism is not one of them. It's not an action film, but it doesn't shy away from the problems of the times - not just "the troubles", but poverty, unemployment and the threat to a community. It makes you see that there is good reason to hope for better things, once the men of violence are off the scene.

Oh, and it's in black and white except for some segments (which is an interesting visual!)

I saw it about a month ago. First movie I had been to in a couple of years. I loved it! I think the fact that it was in black and white just made it seem more real. Loved the music too!

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2022 11:02 am

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
Everest…true story of the May 1996 expedition.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2719848/reference

Jerseygirl Jan 22nd 2022 3:47 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
The Founder…the story of Ray Croc, who was responsible for turning a small restaurant into the McDonald’s we know today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276820/reference

Shard Jan 30th 2022 1:25 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
Twister. Saw it 25 years ago when it came out and I would say it's still a good rollicking Hollywood film.

macliam Feb 11th 2022 7:08 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
The King's Man, prequel to the Kingsman series.

I enjoyed the quirky humour of the first film, but felt that the second was milked and aimed at an American audience (nothing unusual there). This third outing takes that progression on steroids.

Given the cast of the prequel, I expected much and was bitterly disappointed.... setting reality to one side for the sake of entertainment is one thing, but trying to create a conspiracy based on historical characters is never going to work well..... particularly when their real stories are so well known. For me, several "key moments" of the plot failed to have any impact and the whole story was just too detatched from reality to stand up.

2/10

Shard Feb 12th 2022 6:03 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13094261)
The King's Man, prequel to the Kingsman series.

I enjoyed the quirky humour of the first film, but felt that the second was milked and aimed at an American audience (nothing unusual there). This third outing takes that progression on steroids.

Given the cast of the prequel, I expected much and was bitterly disappointed.... setting reality to one side for the sake of entertainment is one thing, but trying to create a conspiracy based on historical characters is never going to work well..... particularly when their real stories are so well known. For me, several "key moments" of the plot failed to have any impact and the whole story was just too detatched from reality to stand up.

2/10

I have not seen any of the Kings Man and don't know what history it's about. I did see the trailer and though, and thought I might give it a try. I have been warned !

Derrygal Feb 12th 2022 6:13 pm

Re: 2022 Movie Thread
 
I watched "Passing" on Netflix last weekend. It's directed by English actress Rebecca Hall. It's in black and white - I enjoyed it. Set in 1920s New York City. My 16 year old grand-daughter had read the book recently in her English class.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.