Reload this Page >

Permanent Residence Visa

Permanent Residence Visa

Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Nthn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residence Visa

Hello,

I have some questions about the permanent residence visa because I've been in Japan 8.5 years, but would like to go back to my own country, but I'm not sure whether to stay another couple of years to apply for permanent residence. I like Japan and might want to come back in the future, but really feel the need to go back home now for a decent amount of time, but I would reset to 0 years if I stay away longer than 3 months or give up my visa.

1. If you have P.R and then go back to your own country for let's say 3 years, do you still have to pay pension, health insurance, and taxes to Japan during those 3 years you are away from Japan?
2. Is it even worth getting P.R if you don't care about getting a bank loan and are happy enough with your job on your current visa? What are the other benefits of having it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residence Visa

1. Similar to many other countries, Japan uses a "183 days" rule to determine whether you have to pay taxes and social insurances. Meaning that you only have to pay if you are more than 183 days in the country. Vice versa, if you are not contributing then that period does not count towards your eligibility to e.g. pension. You have to contribute at least 10 years to be eligible to receive pension.
2. A benefit is that you don't have to go through the process every x years to have to renew your visa. And that your work permit is no longer limited to a certain profession or industry sector. With a PR you are allowed to do any kind of job you want.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Nthn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SushiFan
1. Similar to many other countries, Japan uses a "183 days" rule to determine whether you have to pay taxes and social insurances. Meaning that you only have to pay if you are more than 183 days in the country. Vice versa, if you are not contributing then that period does not count towards your eligibility to e.g. pension. You have to contribute at least 10 years to be eligible to receive pension.
2. A benefit is that you don't have to go through the process every x years to have to renew your visa. And that your work permit is no longer limited to a certain profession or industry sector. With a PR you are allowed to do any kind of job you want.
Thanks for your reply Mr sushifan! The info about the 183 days is very useful.
I don't mind renewing every 3 years, and apart from teaching or translating there aren't any other jobs i wanna do. Good to know though so thanks!
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware though that city taxes (a.k.a. local income taxes) are based on your residence as of January 1st of any year. This means that if you move out and notify town hall on January 2nd you still have to pay the residence tax for that entire calendar year. The 183 day rule I mentioned relates to the national taxes.

Taxes in Japan for foreigners has recently become more complicated as changes were made in 2019. I am no longer in Japan and don't know the finer details. However, what I do recall is that an "exit tax" is now being levied on foreigners who decide to leave Japan after having lived there for 5 years or longer. I don't know how they will calculate this if you live a few years in Japan, leave, then return to Japan, live there for a couple more years and then leave again.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

You may also want to check as to what the tax treaties are between Japan and your home country. For example you may be allowed to substitute your pension, etc. taxes back to Japan rather than your new place of residence. That would allow you to qualify if there is a 10 year "requirement". See for example the Totalization Agreement b/w Japan and the USA.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Ag...ets/japan.html