Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Working in Sicily

Working in Sicily

Old Nov 23rd 2023, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Working in Sicily

What sort of work is it? Teaching English?
Old Nov 23rd 2023, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tpw21
What sort of work is it? Teaching English?
Yeah. It's the only sort of work that I can find in Italy.
Old Nov 23rd 2023, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mah88
Yeah. It's the only sort of work that I can find in Italy.
Almost all English teaching jobs in Italy are going to have that contract until they’re not able to - i think there are only a certain number of years they can use it though. If you’re looking to work in Italy as a teacher you’re either going to have to accept those contracts or open a P.IVA.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tpw21
Almost all English teaching jobs in Italy are going to have that contract until they’re not able to - i think there are only a certain number of years they can use it though. If you’re looking to work in Italy as a teacher you’re either going to have to accept those contracts or open a P.IVA.
I might as well give up looking for work in Italy then since teaching is my plan B and my Italian isn't fluent.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

I might as well give up looking for work in Italy then since teaching is my plan B and my Italian isn't fluent.
Unfortunately it’s the reality of the situation but they’re fine as a starting point if you’re desperate to live here, especially if the school will give you a better contract after a few years.

Have they said if you’d have a fixed monthly salary? I’d give it a go, personally…my first job here was TEFL in Sicily but now run my own business in something different.

Last edited by tpw21; Nov 24th 2023 at 10:22 am.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I taught on CO CO CO and CO CO PRO contracts when I was teaching. It was like being self employed in the UK. You dont get sick pay and obviously, given the fact that you dont work from June to September, you dont get holiday pay either. But mother tongue English teachers are too valuable to lose to the competition, so (in my experience) you get paid if you're working for a smaller school. The teachers who had problems with wages were those who worked for the big franchised language schools which seemed to work more like a pyramid scheme.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

You don't need any Italian at all to teach English. It might help if you teach low levels (A1 and A2) to understand a bit of Italian, or if you teach Young Learners.

I second tpw21 - give it a go, mah88. You haven't got anything to lose, and one thing may lead to another.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
I taught on CO CO CO and CO CO PRO contracts when I was teaching. It was like being self employed in the UK. You dont get sick pay and obviously, given the fact that you dont work from June to September, you dont get holiday pay either. But mother tongue English teachers are too valuable to lose to the competition, so (in my experience) you get paid if you're working for a smaller school. The teachers who had problems with wages were those who worked for the big franchised language schools which seemed to work more like a pyramid scheme.
I never had issues with getting paid and i received a fixed amount each month. There was a set number of hours we had to do in a year and most of the time most teachers would get paid extra because they’d end up doing a few over that. It’s hard work with the late finishes but it’s all about getting a foot in the door and actually living and working in the country.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Hearsay or not, I remember reading a blog article a couple of years ago. It was written by an expat wife from the States. With a low level of Italian language knowledge, her Ivy League degree certificate was worth literally nothing. Job centres here in Italy referred her to cleaning or service jobs.

English teaching jobs are decent for people from the Anglosphere who don't speak Italian. The labour market here is less skilled, less flexible and more precarious than those in other developed countries.

There seems to be less social stigma in Italy regarding unemployment, idleness or claiming benefits too. Correct me if I'm wrong - that's just my partial understanding of the country.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daniel_t

There seems to be less social stigma in Italy regarding unemployment, idleness or claiming benefits too. Correct me if I'm wrong - that's just my partial understanding of the country.
Yes nobody seems to care if you are unemployed in Italy. I have been unemployed for 12 years and nobody suggested taking up work. Unemployment benefits are very poor too.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 7:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Yes nobody seems to care if you are unemployed in Italy. I have been unemployed for 12 years and nobody suggested taking up work. Unemployment benefits are very poor too.
WHAT unemployment benefits? I lost all of my contracts in Covid and couldn't even claim the sum whatever whatever €600 I can't remember because I own my house so my ISEE isn't at destitute levels. I signed up to the Centro Per Impiego as a disoccupata after hearing that they might have some job offers not advertised elsewhere and all I got was spam and bollocks from them. I did get a really informative email all about free classes for the unemployed to better their job opportunities. The class was BEGINNERS ENGLISH.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 27th 2023 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
WHAT unemployment benefits? I lost all of my contracts in Covid and couldn't even claim the sum whatever whatever €600 I can't remember because I own my house so my ISEE isn't at destitute levels. I signed up to the Centro Per Impiego as a disoccupata after hearing that they might have some job offers not advertised elsewhere and all I got was spam and bollocks from them. I did get a really informative email all about free classes for the unemployed to better their job opportunities. The class was BEGINNERS ENGLISH.
Yes in Italy the job centre isnt likely to find anything. In the UK they used to hand out terrible jobs. They had the reddito di cittadinanza for a while but Meloni has killed it off. It doesnt help that a lot of Italians dont pay tax.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
Yes in Italy the job centre isnt likely to find anything. In the UK they used to hand out terrible jobs. They had the reddito di cittadinanza for a while but Meloni has killed it off. It doesnt help that a lot of Italians dont pay tax.
My mum is earning as much as I generally do, but she's only working part-time (50% full-time scale) in Manchester! I suspect an average worker can earn more in a developing country than in Italy.