Wikiposts

Woe are we?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woe are we?

So, David Cameron has pledged in 'in or out' (of the EU) referendum if the Conservative Party is returned to power in 2.5 years' time!

What short and long term effects might the UK exiting the EU have on the British expat. community in Italy? How might things change if we become 'extracomunitari?'
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woe are we?

An excellent essay topic. I'll pass on the 10,000 words but the implications for the expat community could be negligible to immense. The real key is to what extent the right to live and work and by implication own property and have access to healthcare, schools etc could change. (Same for foreigners living and working in the UK). In essence free movement of labour and capital could no longer be taken as given on an UK exit. If a 'Swiss' or 'Norwegian' model is negotiated then maybe not too much will change. Anything stronger and the exit doors could open as the whole concept of residency, for example, as it currently stands could see fundamental changes especially with regards to healthcare and property taxes. Don't want to scaremonger but I think that it is certainly true that a vote to leave has the potential to be very damaging to the expat community.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Jan 23rd 2013 at 6:26 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pinco Pallino
So, David Cameron has pledged in 'in or out' (of the EU) referendum if the Conservative Party is returned to power in 2.5 years' time!

What short and long term effects might the UK exiting the EU have on the British expat. community in Italy? How might things change if we become 'extracomunitari?'
marry an Italian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

watch sterling start to wobble now , and see that out of Europe sterling would be at least parity with the euro.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
watch sterling start to wobble now , and see that out of Europe sterling would be at least parity with the euro.
Hmm Modicasa I have to confess I am not sure about that assertion, partcularly in the medium to longer term as the Euro is weakening too and has even more dead ducks that in UK (Ireland, Portugal and Spain to name but 3 and the previously strong German economy, which has limited damage in the Eurozone, is stalling now).

If the fundamentally weaknesses in most of the Eurozone are overcome yes you will be right; however, Draghi and the ECB have just created a bit of breathing space not solved the underlying problems - they have kicked the can down the road......

Of course if you are saying that parity is both Sterling and the Euro are effectively worthless, which is a distinct possibility in the longer term, then I am d'accordo.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

On a UK exit sterling would undoubtedly collapse against the euro. The situation would be very similar to sterling's exit from the ERM. Unofficialy, a currency fall would probably be welcomed in the political arena as this would partially offset the risk of the UK going into deep recession.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pugliese
marry an Italian
..and hopefully get citizenship ...

I brought this subject up a couple of months ago and I think we concluded that applying for Italian citizenship would be such a nightmare, that we'll just have to grin and bear it and get used to being extracomunitari .. permesso di soggiorno and all the rest of it.

Anyway it's obviously all just an economic issue, as usual. Nothing to do with people and how it would affect their lives.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

You don't think that renegotiating the UK's position in the EU would affect people's lives ?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
You don't think that renegotiating the UK's position in the EU would affect people's lives ?
Absolutely! Sorry, what I meant is that they don't think about the people, only about the money .. Cameron hasn't got a single thought about UK citizens actually living in the EC . .only about investors, business etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:46 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Absolutely! Sorry, what I meant is that they don't think about the people, only about the money .. Cameron hasn't got a single thought about UK citizens actually living in the EC . .only about investors, business etc.
No he is not that deep - it is only about getting re-elected methinks
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:48 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
On a UK exit sterling would undoubtedly collapse against the euro. The situation would be very similar to sterling's exit from the ERM. Unofficialy, a currency fall would probably be welcomed in the political arena as this would partially offset the risk of the UK going into deep recession.
undoubtedly collapse - bit strong methinks - might be a downwards adjustment but a collapse is highly unlikely given the inherent flaws in the Eurozone (not that British economy is much better).
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
No he is not that deep - it is only about getting re-elected methinks
From what I have heard / read a lot of people are worried about the numbers of immigrants arriving and claiming benefits swapping the system . A referendum could be a good idea but they'll have to wait and see what deal can be negotiated , its not as if he can just turn up and write it himself !
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

From what I have heard / read a lot of people are worried about the numbers of immigrants arriving and claiming benefits swapping the system . A referendum could be a good idea but they'll have to wait and see what deal can be negotiated , its not as if he can just turn up and write it himself !
spot on Hadenough - it will all depend on the deal
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

From what I have heard / read a lot of people are worried about the numbers of immigrants arriving and claiming benefits swapping the system .
That's already an issue and he'll be usuing arguments like that to get his anti-EC message across. It's all populismo .. I come from a very, er, Conservative area and when i get home I hear all those sorts of comments all the time, people moaning about the Polish and so on .. I have to keep reminding them that I live as a 'foreigner' myself.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by MarkRD
That's already an issue and he'll be usuing arguments like that to get his anti-EC message across. It's all populismo .. I come from a very, er, Conservative area and when i get home I hear all those sorts of comments all the time, people moaning about the Polish and so on .. I have to keep reminding them that I live as a 'foreigner' myself.
I actually think his message will be anti-EU but pro-EEC/EEA; which is, coincidentally, pretty much what we (the oppressed masses) actually voted to join and not what Maggie Milk Snatcher (Mastricht) and Gormless Gorden (Lisbon) subsequently signed us up for (the latter having lied about a Referendum).

How that affects expats freedom of movement within has to be a real worry. But as Hadenough says all depends on the deal, which will take time. Bound to be lots of scaremongering in the interim from both sides of the debate.

BTW you, like me, are a "DAMNED jOHNNY FOREIGNER" here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.