Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italian that left Italy a long time ago

Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italian that left Italy a long time ago

Old Jan 27th 2023, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

guy coventry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italian that left Italy a long time ago

Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italians that left Italy a long time ago to keep their property that the parents gave them after generation of living in the village
it seems that Italians who are now pensioners in the uk (buy the way have worst pensions than Italians need to find the money and pay)

The Italian government class the property in Italy as second home that’s why IMU needs to be paid? (but not if you’re a RESIDENT of Italy and you have just one home not paid at all)
Is it because the Uk that it has go up so much is no longer in Europe ?

Can anyone tell me if the statement below is correct?
(IMU reduction for pensioners residing abroad (art. 1, paragraph 743, of Law 234/2021- Budget Law 2022). Limited to the year 2022, the IMU relative to a single real estate unit for residential use, not rented or not given on loan for use, owned in Italy by way of ownership or usufruct by non-residents in the territory of the State who are holders of a pension accrued under an international agreement with Italy, residing in a State of insurance other than Italy. This means that while in 2021 for these subjects the tax reduction was equal to 50%, in 2022 it will rise to 62.5%)

Both my parents are pensioner
Mum UK PENSION ONLY CAN SHE CLAIM THE 50% discount on the IMU property TAX
DAD UK PENSION PLUS SMALL Italian pension Can he claim the 50% discount on the IMU property TAX

I don't want this to become Financial problem and with no discount it will be

Can I get some advice

THANK YOU

Last edited by guy coventry; Jan 27th 2023 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italian that left Italy a long time ag

Originally Posted by guy coventry
Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italians that left Italy a long time ago to keep their property that the parents gave them after generation of living in the village
it seems that Italians who are now pensioners in the uk...
Is it because the Uk that it has go up so much is no longer in Europe ?
Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are trying to say but surely if your parents live in the UK but own another property in Italy then the property in Italy is inherently a second house? And then I believe the IMU 2nd property charge applies to everyone who has a second property (and any subsequent property). Therefore everyone with a second home pays it, don't they? Including Italians who still live in Italy. As for the cost, well that isn't set by the UK government. So I don't think it has anything to do with UK leaving the EU.
​​​​​
​​​​It's a decision by the Italian authorities isn't it? And the politics of Italy mean that increasing taxes on 2nd home owners, whom many Italians see as "rich foreigners" is a vote winner

Old Jan 27th 2023, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Why IMU cost have gone up so much for Italian that left Italy a long time ag

Thank you for the reply I wii try to explain, like may things in life pensioner get a discount because there on a fixed income

I understand it a second house and the will have to pay
the point I was trying to make is that if your a pensioner in a EU country
then I believe you get a 50% discount on the IMU cost for being a pensioner in a EU country

now the UK is not in the EU can they get the discount from the Italian council buy filling out the form F24

Italian law states to receive the discount the following criteria needs to be met

And I quote
(IMU reduction for pensioners residing abroad (art. 1, paragraph 743, of Law 234/2021- Budget Law 2022). Limited to the year 2022, the IMU relative to a single real estate unit for residential use, not rented or not given on loan for use, owned in Italy by way of ownership or usufruct by non-residents in the territory of the (

State who are holders of a pension accrued under an international agreement with Italy, residing in a State of insurance other than Italy. )

MY QUESTION DOES THEUK HAVE A INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT LIKE THE REST OF EUROPE AND THE US as per the statement above in Italian law above

This means that while in 2021 for these subjects the tax reduction was equal to 50%, in 2022 it will rise to 62.5%)

Last edited by guy coventry; Jan 27th 2023 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that makes it clearer. The title you gave the thread is quite confusing I think, so hopefully now somebody's might be able to give you a reply. There was an earlier similar thread on this subject, but I don't know if any of those people got an answer or if they're in the same situation as your parents. Anyway I wish you luck

Here's the previous thread:
IMU Reduction for non resident pensioners
Old Jan 27th 2023, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Can pensioners receive a 50% on IMU 2nd homes in italy if on a pension Uk

Thank you for your input

So simple question can Italian citizens who do not have residency in Italy but have a 2nd home there qualify for a discount for 50% because they’re pensioners in the country they live in which is the uk
Old Jan 28th 2023, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you parents registered in the AIRE as being resident abroad (ie not in Italy)?
Old Jan 28th 2023, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Thank for your reply

I don’t know what AIRE was so I looked

What is AIRE?

AIRE is also known as Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all’Estero, which translates to the Registry of Italian Citizens Residing Abroad. It was first introduced in 1988 as a way for the Italian government to keep track of all of its citizens’ records, including those who aren’t currently living in Italy.
I think so because my dad receive the right to vote in Italian elections to his uk address
so does my mum

so if your on the list to vote in italian elections while living in the uk then yes hopefully but I don’t know how to check
Old Jan 28th 2023, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

OK For last year they would pay 37.5% of the IMU total, this year it will be 50%.
They need to be above state pension age. Early retirees dont qualify.
Assuming they each own 50% of the property then they will pay at 50% each.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help
To receive this discount, do they have to fill out the form F 24 with the local council?
I believe it’s not automatic, will they have to do it every year to receive the discount.
and one last question because the United Kingdom is no longer in Europe is it still applicable? Because they live in the uk

your help is very much appreciated

there must be must be a lot of second generation Italian,going through the same with there parents
Old Jan 28th 2023, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I would first suggest using an Italian Government website, or even better, paying a visit to the relevant authority next time you are in Italy and getting up to date information.

I would not be too hopeful about this having been included in the post-Brexit agreements.

Many of us in other parts of Europe are also discovering strange side effects of Brexit as time goes on.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 28th 2023, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

i Have continued to do some research on this subject to I’m not a lawyer, but I believe facts are
  • You must be a Italian citizen, not registered in Italy put registered as living abroad with the Italian government
  • There is DTA agreement between Italy and UK which is another stipulation of the discount available?
  • even after uk left the EU there still has a DTA which mean that if your pension was accrued in the UK over the year which had a international agreement with Italy,which the United Kingdom did have and continues to have. I believe this meets the stipulation Italian law for IMU discount
  • So if you are Italian citizen, and have reached pension age in the uk and are registered with ARIE which means you are registered as living abroad as an Italian citizen and you don’t rent the property out that the IMU charge as been requested for from the local Italian Council.
  • And you need to fill out the form F24 with the local council yearly (no form no discount applied.
  • you can get a % reduction on your IMU cost for second home in Italy they will class your home in the UK as your first home so there will be always a IMU to pay
  • the % of discount can be as per Italian government policy at the time.
If anyone knows any more information or I am no correct, add it to the post
I have investigated everywhere to answer this question and this is my interpretation

Last edited by guy coventry; Jan 28th 2023 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 7:06 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guy coventry
i Have continued to do some research on this subject to I’m not a lawyer, but I believe facts are
  • And you need to fill out the form F24 with the local council yearly (no form no discount applied.
The F24 is a generic form for paying tax. You need to know how much you need to pay first. AFAIK ( things could have changed) it doesn't accept a foreign bank account numbers, but some foreign banks do have an agreement with Italy and can pay a F24 for you. Otherwise, you will need to contact the comune directly to obtain their IBAN and pay it that way.
Old Jan 29th 2023, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

1. The rules apply if your are an Italian pensioner abroad with a property in Italy and you are registered in the AIRE. It has nothing to do with Brexit.
2. Each comune can apply the rules as they see fit. Check the comune website to see their requirements. If your parents' AIRE registration is at the same comune where the property is located it should be easy.
3. Use th F24 to pay the tax from an italian bank acccount or contact the IMU department of the comune to get the IBAN and BIC for direct payments. If doing this, send the proof of payment to the comune along with the codice fiscale of the payeeì directly to the IMU department of the comune.

Old Jan 29th 2023, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you
why do the comune/council not explain this to older generations of Italians
older people don’t use the WEB like the younger generations
it seems they generate worries for the older generations of Italian that have left the country
Old generations they like to visit the comune offices and try to ask which is the way they have always done it
I am not sure this discounts are widely understood by the comune or the older generations
because these discounts are not available to Italian living in Italy and most don’t pay the IMU anyway they can’t explain it to
there relatives who live abroad

I understand the reasons behind the IMU tax but my pensioner are on a fixed income so a little help goes a long why

hopefully we have all help explain it to people in the same situation

Old Feb 25th 2023, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi all so an update my my father went to Italy this week
And went to the local council house, comune which is in Campania province of Avelino serino at sala
and was he was told and I quote that because the United Kingdom has left the European community. He would have to pay the full IMU
As I understand it, the United Kingdom has an agreement with Italy. Even now we have left the European Community. The double taxation will not occur which know as a DTA
  • There is DTA agreement between Italy and UK which is another stipulation of the discount available?
  • even after uk left the EU there still has a DTA which mean that if your pension was accrued in the UK over the year which had a international agreement with Italy,which the United Kingdom did have and continues to have. I believe this meets the stipulation Italian law for IMU discount
Can someone please help
as I see it, my father meets all the criteria to receive this discount he has now been told that it’s because United Kingdom left Europe which means it can only be the DTA which is the problem

I just don’t understand what’s going on and we really appreciate if someone could help me out if you are a member of staff of the Italian consulate. I would really appreciate some help on this.

it seems that Italian citizens residing in the United Kingdom are being punished because of Brexit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.