Reload this Page >

Weather in Puglia

Weather in Puglia

Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:20 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

miacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weather in Puglia

Hi there

Stepping in from another country because I am about to holiday in Puglia and have been shocked at the temperatures the weather channel tells me I will have in late October in Puglia - and rain! So I don't know what to bring. I have read the messages about those of you who have had to put your heating on - but truly what is like in Southern Italy? - am I really going to need my waterproofs and not be able to sit outside to eat?. Should I have stuck to Portugal after all?

And if you live there what really has to be seen? Got my Lonely Planet but there seems so much I don't know where to start.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in Puglia

Originally Posted by miacat
Hi there

Stepping in from another country because I am about to holiday in Puglia and have been shocked at the temperatures the weather channel tells me I will have in late October in Puglia - and rain! So I don't know what to bring. I have read the messages about those of you who have had to put your heating on - but truly what is like in Southern Italy? - am I really going to need my waterproofs and not be able to sit outside to eat?. Should I have stuck to Portugal after all?

And if you live there what really has to be seen? Got my Lonely Planet but there seems so much I don't know where to start.
Where abouts in Puglia are you going. We live just outside San Vito Dei Normanni, and you really shouldn't expect Tenerife type weather here. My best advise is to pack "layers", the weather really is unpredictable at this time of year. We have our heating on at the moment, but according to the BBC the weather is set to improve from Thursday.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:38 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up north in Verona and yes, it's cold by our standards, but not by u.k.'s. We do not have our heating on yet, but we'll no doubt need it in the next few days. We moan about the cold because unlike the u.k, we go from hot to cold with little in between. As Mageret say's, you need layers and don't expect Spanish weather.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:52 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Where abouts in Puglia are you going. We live just outside San Vito Dei Normanni, and you really shouldn't expect Tenerife type weather here. My best advise is to pack "layers", the weather really is unpredictable at this time of year. We have our heating on at the moment, but according to the BBC the weather is set to improve from Thursday.
We are staying near Alberobello - looks wonderful. Did not really expect Spain temps but hoped it would be mild and not wet but it is not looking like it!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:14 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

We are staying near Alberobello - looks wonderful. Did not really expect Spain temps but hoped it would be mild and not wet but it is not looking like it!
Miacat - keep your eye on this website.

It has live cam pictures. It's all in Italian but dates and temperatures are the same of course. Doesn't look like it's a nice day there today.

Hope you have a good holiday anyway.

http://www.meteoalberobello.com/Default.asp?sWidth=1440
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

Yes, I agree wear layers and you'll be fine. You will like Alberobello and the Grotte di Castellana is worth a look at if you're interested in stalactites and stalagmites. Ostuni is worth a trip too. If you can get down further to southern Salento and have a hire car do drive from Otranto (and see the remains of the 800 martyrs in the Cathedral) to Santa Maria di Leuca (terre finibus/land's end, fantastic). Gallipoli on the otherside of the heel (drive there via Maglie) is great, walk round the old town across the bridge. We do get bright sunny days during the winter despite it being chilly in the house, we ate out on the pavement in Gallipoli one January. Have a good holiday.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:39 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by PAT M
Yes, I agree wear layers and you'll be fine. You will like Alberobello and the Grotte di Castellana is worth a look at if you're interested in stalactites and stalagmites. Ostuni is worth a trip too. If you can get down further to southern Salento and have a hire car do drive from Otranto (and see the remains of the 800 martyrs in the Cathedral) to Santa Maria di Leuca (terre finibus/land's end, fantastic). Gallipoli on the otherside of the heel (drive there via Maglie) is great, walk round the old town across the bridge. We do get bright sunny days during the winter despite it being chilly in the house, we ate out on the pavement in Gallipoli one January. Have a good holiday.
Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice and ideas. Really looking forward to it - would have been even better if I had not got home today to find Easyjet have cancelled my return flight back from Bari - less than two weeks away - have I been angry!!!! As we meet a connection in Rome have had to book with Alitalia at more cost.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

Close to Milan, -1° on Saturday night... it's really too cold to be October, we should see higher temperature in the next few days but rain will come... in the souther Italy, it's really unpredictable and it's been some years that weather is changing...all over Europe I suppose.