Dead Wood

Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:45 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Dead Wood

Have been informed (not by an Italian I may add) that one is allowed to collect dead and fallen wood from other peoples land. Does anyone know about this?
Ern
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:19 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dead Wood

Originally Posted by ernesto
Have been informed (not by an Italian I may add) that one is allowed to collect dead and fallen wood from other peoples land. Does anyone know about this?
Ern
Ernesto, you're not even supposed to bring home drift wood, dead wood, pebbles etc from along a river bed as you could get caught for stealing from the state.

If you're on somebody's land, with or without gathering bits of wood - surely you're trespassing.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:14 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been led to believe that Italy has "Open country" laws, like they do in parts of Britain - so if there isn't a fence or any sign to warn you off you can enter that land. It's why you find hunters all over the place - they need a permit but not, as far as I'm aware, permission to hunt if the land is unenclosed. It's why we had the "Enclosures act" in the UK to stop the serfs hunting and gathering - if it's enclosed it's illegal, if it isn't, it's a free for all - that's my belief anyway!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I've often wondered a bit about this law as it seems that many people here just seem to wander on local farmland for walks etc. but we don't really know what the rules are. I have been told by my friend who is a keen walker that all these new signs that say 'private property' are not enforceable, you are only not allowed on land if there is a fence round it or a gate.... I have no idea how true it is though... and have no idea what the rules are re: collecting wood etc
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

I remember years ago, my Italian friend told me that his father, a landowner, had to build a pen to keep his dogs in while hunters trapsed across his land shooting pheasants. By law they can walk onto land without the owners permission. Previous to that they, the hunters, complained that the dogs were attacking them while they pursued their game shoot and informed the local police who then told him to lock his dogs up while they are on his land!! Never heard anything like it before!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:59 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Think of Wainright and his rambling campaigns when he was alive - it all amounts to the same thing, but the UK's hunting laws are tighter and you have to have permission to shoot. Italy still has a lot of the feudal system going! Some laws are probably from the 1300's!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:04 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Think of Wainright and his rambling campaigns when he was alive - it all amounts to the same thing, but the UK's hunting laws are tighter and you have to have permission to shoot. Italy still has a lot of the feudal system going! Some laws are probably from the 1300's!
You can't shoot anything here without a licence and you have to respect the certain months. Started this month I think - they'll be getting their little birds ready for the traditional November 1st dinner. I think you need a licence to go mushroom picking too.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:17 am
The Original Red Head!

Sorry, I was meaning permission to go on someone's land. I guessed you would need a gun permit and a licence to hunt.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Sorry, I was meaning permission to go on someone's land. I guessed you would need a gun permit and a licence to hunt.
I've never really thought about the topic of fields, land and bounderies before as all the people here just go up the hills and mountains - of which there are plenty.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I've never really thought about the topic of fields, land and bounderies before as all the people here just go up the hills and mountains - of which there are plenty.
Yeah it is kinda the same here, but these signs are going up on a lot of the river banks and grassy areas alongside the roads up the mountains etc which is why I wondered. Being a Brit I like to follow the rules and it don't seem right just to march down to a river right pass the sign that says private property....
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ernesto
Ern
I may suggest you not to take anything, it's against the law as it is property of the State (it's called "Demanio pubblico"). It may seem some places are left there without any care, but if the forestry Police finds you while you are collecting wood, you'll face many troubles... if you don't want problems, just get what you want and then say you are gitan...