British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Uk passport renewal from Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/uk-passport-renewal-italy-940466/)

jonwel Dec 2nd 2022 4:10 am

Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

I see. I thught you needed some kind of code anyway, but if you can just upload from the mobile phone that solves the problem.

Thanks philat98!

philat98 Dec 2nd 2022 4:29 am

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13157975)
I see. I thught you needed some kind of code anyway, but if you can just upload from the mobile phone that solves the problem.

Thanks philat98!

Follow the instructions carefully. Good luck.

pugliese Dec 2nd 2022 5:01 am

I did exactly the same thing, dead easy ;)

pugliese Dec 2nd 2022 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 13148756)
Really? That doesn't come with a recorded delivery notice does it? The ricevuta di ritorno?

No, but you have a bar code and can track it on poste italiane website. I always use it .

modicasa Dec 2nd 2022 4:28 pm

I think the digital photo code is for GB photo booths - I had the same problem and ended up using a photo I took myself. In the end it was the only one they would accept.

tpw21 Dec 2nd 2022 11:45 pm

Those taking selfies - have you managed to get through the automated gates at airports since using that picture?

pugliese Dec 3rd 2022 2:16 am

Originally Posted by tpw21 (Post 13158120)
Those taking selfies - have you managed to get through the automated gates at airports since using that picture?

of course

tpw21 Dec 3rd 2022 3:54 am

Originally Posted by pugliese (Post 13158139)
of course

Ah ok - I have heard stories where people have taken them so that they are the opposite side of the face as they’re seen at the automated gates.

jonwel Dec 10th 2022 9:18 pm

From a close look at my photo (done by a photographer because I did't really have a suitable wall in the flat to take it against) I see there's a little bit of shadow that I hadn't noticed before sending it off (silly b***er I am). The photo is not supposed to have any shadow so they're bound to tell me it's no good. So what is the procedure? Do they send you a link where you can insert the replacement photo?
Actually I didn't really like the photo anyway, but my stepdaughter persuaded me to send it in.

Another question: I'm going to the Comune tomorrow for a certificate of residenza plurilingua because I haven't got anything else issued within the last 12 months that can ptrove my address. But I just wonder what HMPO means by residence. They ask for "address and/or residence", but in Britain you only have an address; "residence" doesn't mean anything different, so we don't really know what the person who thought up the rule actually had in mind.
And does the Comune print out the residence certificate there and then or do they tell me to come back?

pugliese Dec 10th 2022 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13159578)
From a close look at my photo (done by a photographer because I did't really have a suitable wall in the flat to take it against) I see there's a little bit of shadow that I hadn't noticed before sending it off (silly b***er I am). The photo is not supposed to have any shadow so they're bound to tell me it's no good. So what is the procedure? Do they send you a link where you can insert the replacement photo?
Actually I didn't really like the photo anyway, but my stepdaughter persuaded me to send it in.

Another question: I'm going to the Comune tomorrow for a certificate of residenza plurilingua because I haven't got anything else issued within the last 12 months that can ptrove my address. But I just wonder what HMPO means by residence. They ask for "address and/or residence", but in Britain you only have an address; "residence" doesn't mean anything different, so we don't really know what the person who thought up the rule actually had in mind.
And does the Comune print out the residence certificate there and then or do they tell me to come back?

HMPO will advise you whether the photo is acceptable or not.
I had to explain to my comune that plurilingual certificates exist in Italy !!! :banghead:( No, signora, sono 30 anni che sto qui e non l'abbiamo mai fatto. Non esiste, solo italiano!!).:argue:
Have you checked with yours :unsure:
Anyway, in the end I succeeded, but I had to come back because it is a 4 page document they have to fill in which is attached to the original italian one.

Good luck

jonwel Dec 10th 2022 10:47 pm

Thenks, Pugliese!
Well, I'll go in to the Comune tomorrow morning. Hopefully the Milan offices will be a bit more cosmopolitan than Gallipoli! but you never know!
As for the photo, I realise it's up to them to decided whether it's acceptable, I was just wondering how you rectify if it's not accepted, But they'll tell me.

Anyway, my situation is a lot simpler than yours. I'll let you know how I get on!

philat98 Dec 11th 2022 12:40 am

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13159588)
Thenks, Pugliese!
Well, I'll go in to the Comune tomorrow morning. Hopefully the Milan offices will be a bit more cosmopolitan than Gallipoli! but you never know!
As for the photo, I realise it's up to them to decided whether it's acceptable, I was just wondering how you rectify if it's not accepted, But they'll tell me.

Anyway, my situation is a lot simpler than yours. I'll let you know how I get on!

You can use your ID card for proof of address. It is printed on the reverse side.

jonwel Dec 11th 2022 1:14 am

Are you sure of that? I've still got the old paper identity card, which gives the address, certainly, but is in Itallian only and wasn't issued in the last 12 months (2015).
On the other hand, my new Brexit card has the English translation but doesn't give the address and in any case it's more than 12 months old.

Lorna at Vicenza Dec 11th 2022 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13159604)
Are you sure of that? I've still got the old paper identity card, which gives the address, certainly, but is in Itallian only and wasn't issued in the last 12 months (2015).
On the other hand, my new Brexit card has the English translation but doesn't give the address and in any case it's more than 12 months old.

The new plastic ID cards have the details in both Italian and English.

jonwel Dec 11th 2022 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 13159717)
The new plastic ID cards have the details in both Italian and English.

Hi Lorna,
Well, I went to the Comune in Milan this morning and it seemed that I'd almost got what I wanted. - but then they saw that they had to state what country it was intended for... It had to be for an EU country. Very polite and sympathetic but no go. Maybe there isn't a national standard form and in other comunes they don't have to state what it's for.
I've still got the old paper ID card, which doesn't give the translations (but anyone with a bit of horse sense would understand immediately without a translation, certified to boot!).. I've got the permanent residence card (issued in June last year), which gives translations but not the address!

Looking at the list of possible documents it seems very inconsistent how each document has to be. They accept a simple letter from your employer as long as it's written in English, but for other things they want a translation sworn in the court offices (cancelleria)!
I'm retired, but I wonder if I could go to a translation agency I used to work for (and I did actually do a quick job for them this year) and get them to write me a letter in English, about anything at all - it seems that it doesn't have to be in connection with the passport application.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

37100 Dec 11th 2022 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13159744)
Hi Lorna,
Well, I went to the Comune in Milan this morning and it seemed that I'd almost got what I wanted. - but then they saw that they had to state what country it was intended for... It had to be for an EU country. Very polite and sympathetic but no go. Maybe there isn't a national standard form and in other comunes they don't have to state what it's for.
I've still got the old paper ID card, which doesn't give the translations (but anyone with a bit of horse sense would understand immediately without a translation, certified to boot!).. I've got the permanent residence card (issued in June last year), which gives translations but not the address!

Looking at the list of possible documents it seems very inconsistent how each document has to be. They accept a simple letter from your employer as long as it's written in English, but for other things they want a translation sworn in the court offices (cancelleria)!
I'm retired, but I wonder if I could go to a translation agency I used to work for (and I did actually do a quick job for them this year) and get them to write me a letter in English, about anything at all - it seems that it doesn't have to be in connection with the passport application.

I use a cert. contro le doppio imposizioni from the AdE in Italian/English. It doesn't matter if you don't have an Italian income, just x 'other' on the request. The AdE were well aware that Brits use it for passport. I think that they assumed that we can't get a passport if we aren't up to date with our taxes -there is a similar restriction for an Italian passport. It take a few days to get it and cost me €5.12.

jonwel Dec 12th 2022 3:54 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 13159768)
I use a cert. contro le doppio imposizioni from the AdE in Italian/English. It doesn't matter if you don't have an Italian income, just x 'other' on the request. The AdE were well aware that Brits use it for passport. I think that they assumed that we can't get a passport if we aren't up to date with our taxes -there is a similar restriction for an Italian passport. It take a few days to get it and cost me €5.12.

Very interesting! I don't think anyone has mentioned it before in this thread.
In my last post, above, I said I was thinking of asking my old translation agency to help. They said yes, so it ought to do the trick, but if any unforeseen problems crop up I'll definitely go for the AdE.

Lorna at Vicenza Dec 12th 2022 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13159744)
Hi Lorna,

I once used my Italian driving license. The passport office didn't give two hoots that it hadn't been issued in the last 12 months, just that it was valid. It had my name, photo and address on it. New licenses don't have the adress anymore though.

jonwel Dec 23rd 2022 4:53 am

Made an appointment with AdE a week ago for 27/12 and also got a letter from my translation agency, which I sent off with my old passport. Kept the AdE appointment in case the letter wasn't accepted. Lo and behold, I got a message today from HMPO saying my application had been accepted and they were already printing my passport. Pretty quick compared with the weeks and weeks that some people have had to wait. Still, I won't cry victory until I have it in my hands.

Just a couple of other points:
1) I don't know why HMPO wants proof of my address; I could move house just after receiving the passport. Or do they have a register of addresses of Brits living in Italy? Well, the DWP has got my address anyway.
2) I spoke to a person who works in a law office and she told me that from there they could download a certificate of residence in any EU language... except English! I suppose that was because of Brexit, but I thought Ireland was still in the EU...

37100 Dec 23rd 2022 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13161588)
I spoke to a person who works in a law office and she told me that from there they could download a certificate of residence in any EU language... except English! I suppose that was because of Brexit, but I thought Ireland was still in the EU...

You cannot download certificates in any EU language. Non Italian certificates are only available in bilingual regions. i.e. german in TrentinoAltoAdige. As the official language of Ireland, English is still an EU language.

jonwel Dec 23rd 2022 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 13161612)
You cannot download certificates in any EU language. Non Italian certificates are only available in bilingual regions. i.e. german in TrentinoAltoAdige. As the official language of Ireland, English is still an EU language.

Actually I said I had spoken directly with this person for the sake of brevity. In reality it was a reported conversation. So I'll have to find out exactly what was said and get back to you.

jonwel Jan 3rd 2023 12:29 am

Got it! It arrived on Friday, just a week after I sent off my old passport. They accepted the photo, which I didn't think much of, and the letter from my (mainly ex) employer.
I can confirm what others said about those months added on - in spite of applying 5 months early, they gave me exactly 10 years' validity, not 10 yrs 5 mth. So why they have to tell us a load of codswallop I don't know.

philat98 Jan 3rd 2023 3:12 am

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 13163103)
Got it! It arrived on Friday, just a week after I sent off my old passport. They accepted the photo, which I didn't think much of, and the letter from my (mainly ex) employer.
I can confirm what others said about those months added on - in spite of applying 5 months early, they gave me exactly 10 years' validity, not 10 yrs 5 mth. So why they have to tell us a load of codswallop I don't know.

Well done. You got there in the end. I renewed mine 5 years ago and it has been sitting in the draw ever since.

jonwel Jan 10th 2023 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13163139)
Well done. You got there in the end. I renewed mine 5 years ago and it has been sitting in the draw ever since.

Same here! My old one had only been used once in those ten years.:lol:

tpw21 Jan 15th 2023 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 13161612)

The first official language in Ireland, according to the constitution, is Gaeilge.

jonwel Jan 16th 2023 12:26 am

Originally Posted by 37100 View Post
"You cannot download certificates in any EU language. Non Italian certificates are only available in bilingual regions. i.e. german in TrentinoAltoAdige. As the official language of Ireland, English is still an EU language".

I haven't had a chance to check up on this but my guess is that what our lawyer acuaintance is talking about is not official certificates issued in other languages but translations that serve to accompany the original.

expat12 Oct 25th 2023 5:51 am

Hi, it's my turn to try the renewal procedure.
Has anyone sent a utility bill as residence document?

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 31st 2023 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by expat12 (Post 13223349)
Hi, it's my turn to try the renewal procedure.
Has anyone sent a utility bill as residence document?

Hi. A utility bill isn't on the list of accepted documents ....... scroll down to Table A.
If you've got the new plastic ID card you can send a colour photocopy because it's written in English too.
You can also ask your comune for a certificato di residenza plurilingua. They might give you some shit about this though saying that it's only for use in the EU. I told them I'd risk it anyway and the UK passport office accepted it. You could also tell your comune that it's for an Irish passport or tell them to mind their own business - not helpful in most comune as it's usually better to just smile sweetly at them.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_G2_07.22.pdf

Plan B Nov 1st 2023 4:21 am

Kudos to the UK Passport Office. I have just been assisting a dual nationality here in Italy to renew his UK passport online. Very straightforward and his smart new black (or is it midnight-blue) passport arrived 1 week after we sent the old one and supporting document. The recipient can't believe the clarity and speed of the process.
I've experienced the same excellent service, via the 'phone, from the UK pensions office on behalf of another Italian earlier this year. Uncomplicated, helpful and very quick.
It is so refreshing to have state services run so professionally and courteously; it has astounded the Italians as it's so unlike their own experience.

Solarcower Feb 15th 2024 4:58 am

Jumping on this thread as I am applying for a first child British passport from abroad for my child born in Italy, which i know is going to be fun. I have an Italian birth certificate for my child and I received at the same time the Modello A certificate with all the translations on of what is written on the birth certificate. I believe this is issued to avoid unnecessary translation requests. Has anyone used this with success for the official birth certificate translation? I would rather not pay to get it translated if I don't need to and I know what I am told on the phone may be different to what the person issuing the passport might think.
Thanks

Lorna at Vicenza Feb 16th 2024 8:40 pm

If it looks something like this then it will be fine ..................
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c67e19e149.png

Solarcower Feb 25th 2024 11:33 pm

It looks almost exactly like that!
Thanks.:thumb:

expat12 Mar 15th 2024 9:36 am

Hello, I had to postpone for various reasons so I'm still at the extra document stage.
Has anyone tried sending a UK bank statement? I have one with name and address on it.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 15th 2024 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by expat12 (Post 13244797)
Hello, I had to postpone for various reasons so I'm still at the extra document stage.
Has anyone tried sending a UK bank statement? I have one with name and address on it.

A bank statement isn't on their list, Just get an international residency certificate from your comune. Have you got a new plastic ID card?

For all other passport applications, you must provide from the list below: • at least one document with photo identity; and • one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year • Your British passport (if you are renewing) • Non-British uncancelled passport • National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy) • Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy) • Tax record (for example, a letter from a tax authority) • Educational record (for example, a school report) • Employment record (for example, an official letter from your employer) • Letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • Medical/health card • Voter’s card • Immigration documents

philat98 Mar 19th 2024 6:33 pm

You can get a residence certificate online from https://www.anagrafenazionale.intern...i/certificati/

expat12 Mar 21st 2024 12:25 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13245384)
You can get a residence certificate online from

This would be useful, the only problem is it's not in English. Would they still accept it?
Unfortunately I don't have the new plastic id card yet.

philat98 Mar 21st 2024 12:40 am

Originally Posted by expat12 (Post 13245538)
This would be useful, the only problem is it's not in English. Would they still accept it?

Its pretty simple Italian. Have you downloaded it? I gave an Italian bank statement as proof of address to a UK bank.When I applied for my passport they accepted an NSI statement.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 23rd 2024 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by expat12 (Post 13245538)

You can't get international certificates from the ANPR website but you can get one in your actual comune. If I remember correctly they don't call them international certificates but multi-lingua. I got one for my son's passport renewal in 2021. It's 10 pages of print , cost €16 for the marca da bollo and 55 cents for diritti di segreteria.

expat12 Mar 25th 2024 4:06 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13245540)
Its pretty simple Italian. Have you downloaded it? I gave an Italian bank statement as proof of address to a UK bank.When I applied for my passport they accepted an NSI statement.

What's an NSI statement?

philat98 Mar 25th 2024 5:55 am

Originally Posted by expat12 (Post 13246137)
What's an NSI statement?

National Savings Account.