Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Gbinitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk passport renewal from Italy

It seems the process now has to be done online and not through the usual paper form.
Any experiences?
Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

I renewed mine about 2 years ago: did the paper work online and then had to send the expiring passport back to the UK - which I did using a courier service for security and speed. My renewed passport was posted back and it arrived 8 days later.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 8:18 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy. Did mine last year and just about to renew my son's.
You can even take and upload your own photo now and the passport website tells you if it's acceptable or not.
Something else that's good to know but not many people do yet, you can get a certificate of residency from your comune in multi-languages which the passport office will accept as proof of address.
The comune themselves don't all know this, my small comune didn't but had to agree that I was right when I told them that it's a new regolamento europeo that came into 'vigore' in February 2019.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

But is it still possible to download a paper form if I prefer using a photo booth instead of a digital picture?
Old Sep 8th 2021, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Well you certainly can still do a paper application from the UK, and they will charge you an extra £10 for the pleasure(£9.50 to be exact). So there is nothing to stop you doing so, even if it means downloading the application (if you don't have one) and either post it from Italy or to someone in the UK to send it on for you. I suspect they are trying to discourage paper applications from anyone.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 8:13 am
Just Joined

What document did you send as proof of residence?
I don’t want to send the health card as suggested on their website.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Our was done in the UK, as far as I can recall we needed nothing other than our old passport and credit card details...
Old Sep 9th 2021, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gbinitaly
I sent a UK bank statement. You could use a certificate of residence that Lorna mentioned in another thread.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Just did mine and waiting for it to come back. Unbelievably simple and everything online. Did the photo with my phone following their instructions and they approved it. Paid online (used to have to get an Assegno circolare). I sent them a copy of my Carta di identità as proof of residence.

Only thing I did "wrong" was sending my old passport and documents as a Racommandata with Poste Italiane on 13th August and got an email from HM Passport office to send them 7 days later because they hadn't received them! They finally arrived on 31st August, would you believe - of course we would!

Use DHL or some other courier!
Old Sep 12th 2021, 8:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

You don't send the actual document but a colour photocopy. Your Italian tessera sanitaria doesn't have your address on it anyway.
You can get a multi-language residency certificate from your comune.
If you have the new plastic ID card, that is also written in English and a colour photocopy will be accepted front and back.
If you have any older Italian driving license, they have your address on and a colour photocopy will be accepted. The newer licenses don't have addresses printed on them anymore though.
You can send a bank statement.

Old Sep 12th 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by pugliese

Only thing I did "wrong" was sending my old passport and documents as a Racommandata with Poste Italiane on 13th August and got an email from HM Passport office to send them 7 days later because they hadn't received them! They finally arrived on 31st August, would you believe - of course we would!

Use DHL or some other courier!
I did the same thing last year as it was the cheaper option. I also received emails and text messages from HMPO saying they were waiting for my documents. When I checked the tracking, it had taken over a week just for the bloody envelope to get from my house to Milan and then leave the country. Once my stuff arrived at HMPO, everything happened very quickly after that and my new passport arrived in no time.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:32 pm

New updates.
A friend last month paid something like €27 at the Italian PO to send her docs to Durham with a raccomandata internazionale. The PO explanation for the price hike was of course Brexit. 10 days later and her docs hadn't arrived at HMPO.
I have to send my son's off now so I spent some time today online shopping and phone enquiries for courier quotes. I have a home pick up scheduled for tomorrow with UPS for €18.
DHL's best quote for a 'privato' was around €43.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
New updates.
A friend last month paid something like €27 at the Italian PO to send her docs to Durham with a raccomandata internazionale. The PO explanation for the price hike was of course Brexit. 10 days later and her docs hadn't arrived at HMPO.
I have to send my son's off now so I spent some time today online shopping and phone enquiries for courier quotes. I have a home pick up scheduled for tomorrow with UPS for €18.
I bought some stuff from the UK and the postage had increased from £25 to £45. Uk online sellers are going to struggle selling anything into Europe.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
New updates.
Hi,
thanks for the update.
Can I ask you a couple of things?
First, what website has this €18 courier fare?
Second, I found out that all my residence documents have my name spelt in Italian, it’s just an extra letter different from the ‘original’ name on the passport. Do you know if people had any problems with this?
Thank you

Last edited by Gbinitaly; Sep 28th 2021 at 7:28 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 9:11 pm

Hi,
thanks for the update.
Can I ask you a couple of things?
First, what website has this €18 courier fare?
Second, I found out that all my residence documents have my name spelt in Italian, it’s just an extra letter different from the ‘original’ name on the passport. Do you know if people had any problems with this?
Thank you

Hi. The website was the normal UPS.com website that came out n English but accepted all Italian addresses and regions. Just because I am a cynical cow and like to second check nowadays, I phoned them to make sure I was getting the right price without any surprise Brexit customs payments. The number I used is: 02/30303039

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Sep 28th 2021 at 9:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.