Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK driving license

UK driving license

Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default UK driving license

My pink card DL is about to expire, so has anyone got any ideas about renewal or changing it to an Italian one??
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license

Holders of a Driving Licence Issued by an EU/EEA Country

A valid driving licence issued by a European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) member state is automatically accepted in all other member states. People with EU/EEA-issued driver's licence who take up residence in Italy are not required to exchange it for an Italian licence although the holder may optionally exchange it at any time. If a traffic violation occurs and points must be taken from the licence, residents of Italy who are holders of an non-Italian EU licence will be required to exchange it for an Italian licence.

If the holder of a driving licence issued by another EU/EEA country wants to exchange it for an Italian licence, no theoretical or practical tests will be necessary.

Though holders of a driver's licence issued by an EU/EEA country are not required to exchange their licence for an Italian licence, they are encouraged to register to have their licence recognised by their local Comune and/or provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Motorizzazione Civile) within 90 days of obtaining residency in order to facilitate renewals and replacement in case of loss or theft. If the driving licence is stolen or destroyed and it was not registered, it will be necessary to go through the relevant Consulate or Embassy for the issuance of a new one.

For those holding an EU/EEA licence that does not conform to current international conventions (for example the "old" UK license that does not include a photograph), it is suggested an official translation be carried with the licence. This translation can be obtained through a relevant Consulate or Embassy or through the Automobile Club of Italy (Automobile Club d'Italia, ACI).

I had the old UK licence and was stopped at least 3 times by the Carabinieri. They were confused by it( did not have a translation) and advised me to change it to an Italian one, which I did to avoid being pestered again.

Regards,

Isacat
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Isakat, can you please include a link to the website or page you got all this info from. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna, I did not include a link because I did not know if I was allowed.
It might be publicising another expat website?

Isacat
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:25 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Lorna, I did not include a link because I did not know if I was allowed.
It might be publicising another expat website?

Isacat
Oh OK - I was thinking of rule 7. which says ...

7. You cannot legally post entire articles or news, or other copyrighted material in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article/material correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.

Other expat sites have been mentioned before. You're just not allowed to slag them off in public.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, my mistake-please remove the text.
I will post the link though.

Thanks Lorna
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here is the link for the above text:

http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/exlicence.asp

Isakat
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Isakat
Here is the link for the above text:

http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/exlicence.asp

Isakat
Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by giuliana
My pink card DL is about to expire, so has anyone got any ideas about renewal or changing it to an Italian one??
To the OP. Is renewing it in the UK not an option? From what I understand they just want the photocard renewed every ten years and is easy to do, as long as you still have a UK address. If you are not going to be in Italy forever it is worth considering.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you can renew it in the UK, however, if the authorities find out that you have given false info( UK address when in fact you do not live there), there is a fine( 1,000/2,000 pounds if I remember well).
I did ponder on doing this as a friend of mine did it, but in the end decided it was not worth the risk.

Isakat