Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk Driving licence exchange for an Italian one.

Uk Driving licence exchange for an Italian one.

Old Oct 20th 2021, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk Driving licence exchange for an Italian one.

Salve a tutti - Hello Everyone!
quick question, if I move to Italy and have a UK/British Driving licence, can I just swap it over to an Italian one, as we could before brexit.
or do I need to start from scratch and apply for a Driving/Test course with a scuola guida?
TIA
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Driving licence exchange for an Italian one.

Sorry for the bad news:

"If you live in Italy you should obtain an Italian licence. You will need to take a driving test. If you started exchanging your UK licence before 1 January 2021, you do not need to take a driving test (in Italian)....If you moved to Italy after 1 January 2021, you can use your valid UK licence for 12 months from the date you became resident." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy
Those of us who were here pre-Brexit had the opportunity to apply for an exchange, but that's no longer possible. There's talk of an agreement between the two countries to exchange licences, but nothing agreed as yet. So yes, as it stands you would need to take a test and a specified number of lessons with an instructor and a theory test in Italian, and then the licence will be restricted to vehicles with a small engine for a period of time... I can't remember the exact details but if you search this forum you'll find it's discussed in other threads.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Driving licence exchange for an Italian one.

Originally Posted by C.2s
Sorry for the bad news:

"If you live in Italy you should obtain an Italian licence. You will need to take a driving test. If you started exchanging your UK licence before 1 January 2021, you do not need to take a driving test (in Italian)....If you moved to Italy after 1 January 2021, you can use your valid UK licence for 12 months from the date you became resident." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy
Those of us who were here pre-Brexit had the opportunity to apply for an exchange, but that's no longer possible. There's talk of an agreement between the two countries to exchange licences, but nothing agreed as yet. So yes, as it stands you would need to take a test and a specified number of lessons with an instructor and a theory test in Italian, and then the licence will be restricted to vehicles with a small engine for a period of time... I can't remember the exact details but if you search this forum you'll find it's discussed in other threads.

Thank you so much C. S
As I thought
Thanks for confirming