Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK car in Italy

UK car in Italy

Old Jul 20th 2023, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

keithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the rough
Default UK car in Italy

Apologies to all on here if this topic has been discussed before.

I understand that I can drive my UK registered car in italy for up to 6 months then I will have to remove it back to the UK.

We will have elective visas before we travel over.

When can you then bring the car back after the 6 months in Italy ?
1 week, month year ??

Again,sorry to go over old ground!

Old Jul 20th 2023, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Italy

Originally Posted by keithrogers

I understand that I can drive my UK registered car in italy for up to 6 months then I will have to remove it back to the UK.

1 week, month year ??

I think the period is 60days.
https://www.expatsinitaly.com/articl...-in-italy.html
Old Jul 20th 2023, 4:12 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithrogers

1 week, month year ??

You have 90 days from the date of residency to register your car. You can't bring the same car back and forth on a UK plate if you have residency.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 4:15 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I think that they've changed it. again. to 90 days.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a permanent resident in any country and certainly in the EU you generally cannot own and drive a vehicle registered in another country,apart from the period allowed under local law to re register it in the country in which you are permanently resident.So for example in France you have one month in the UK you cannot use a foreign reg vehicle at all until it has been reregistered.
Please DO NOT be tempted to do what you are asking about.Firstly spot checks in Italy by just about every law enforcement agency is a daily occurence.When I lived in Italy I was actually stopped five times in a week so the risk is not worth it.
However more seriously if you have an accident your insurance will drop you like a hot potato leaving YOU to face the financial and emotional cost of sorting it out.When I lived in Italy there was a brit couple who did exactly what you are suggesting-the inevitable happened they had an accident and the insurance walked away from them,they lost their house and caused a huge clampdown on expats locally.
My advice to you would be to re register your vehicle in Italy (using the services of ACI) or sell it and buy a car in Italy,otherwise you will be putting yourself at risk
Obviously this applies if you are resident in Italy and I assume that you will be if you have an elective visa.

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Jul 21st 2023 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Firstly spot checks in Italy by just about every law enforcement agency is a daily occurence.When I lived in Italy I was actually stopped five times in a week so the risk is not worth it.
They must have been keeping an eye on you. Good thing you weren't here during the Covid lockdowns.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
They must have been keeping an eye on you. Good thing you weren't here during the Covid lockdowns.
Yeah they kept stopping me because I was wearing a seat belt, was not on my mobile phone whist waving both hands in the air, and travelling below the speed limit