British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   UK car in Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/uk-car-italy-948750/)

keithrogers Jul 20th 2023 1:38 pm

UK car in Italy

Apologies to all on here if this topic has been discussed before.

I understand that I can drive my UK registered car in italy for up to 6 months then I will have to remove it back to the UK.

We will have elective visas before we travel over.

When can you then bring the car back after the 6 months in Italy ?
1 week, month year ??

Again,sorry to go over old ground!

philat98 Jul 20th 2023 4:07 pm

Re: UK car in Italy

Originally Posted by keithrogers (Post 13204690)

I understand that I can drive my UK registered car in italy for up to 6 months then I will have to remove it back to the UK.

1 week, month year ??

I think the period is 60days.
https://www.expatsinitaly.com/articl...-in-italy.html

37100 Jul 20th 2023 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by keithrogers (Post 13204690)

1 week, month year ??

You have 90 days from the date of residency to register your car. You can't bring the same car back and forth on a UK plate if you have residency.

37100 Jul 20th 2023 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13204722)

I think that they've changed it. again. to 90 days.

Listen Very Carefully Jul 21st 2023 4:08 pm

If you are a permanent resident in any country and certainly in the EU you generally cannot own and drive a vehicle registered in another country,apart from the period allowed under local law to re register it in the country in which you are permanently resident.So for example in France you have one month in the UK you cannot use a foreign reg vehicle at all until it has been reregistered.
Please DO NOT be tempted to do what you are asking about.Firstly spot checks in Italy by just about every law enforcement agency is a daily occurence.When I lived in Italy I was actually stopped five times in a week so the risk is not worth it.
However more seriously if you have an accident your insurance will drop you like a hot potato leaving YOU to face the financial and emotional cost of sorting it out.When I lived in Italy there was a brit couple who did exactly what you are suggesting-the inevitable happened they had an accident and the insurance walked away from them,they lost their house and caused a huge clampdown on expats locally.
My advice to you would be to re register your vehicle in Italy (using the services of ACI) or sell it and buy a car in Italy,otherwise you will be putting yourself at risk
Obviously this applies if you are resident in Italy and I assume that you will be if you have an elective visa.

philat98 Jul 21st 2023 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully (Post 13204897)
Firstly spot checks in Italy by just about every law enforcement agency is a daily occurence.When I lived in Italy I was actually stopped five times in a week so the risk is not worth it.

They must have been keeping an eye on you. Good thing you weren't here during the Covid lockdowns.

Listen Very Carefully Jul 22nd 2023 9:24 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13204898)
They must have been keeping an eye on you. Good thing you weren't here during the Covid lockdowns.

Yeah they kept stopping me because I was wearing a seat belt, was not on my mobile phone whist waving both hands in the air, and travelling below the speed limit :)