Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Travel to Italy via Dublin, Irish passport holders living in NI

Travel to Italy via Dublin, Irish passport holders living in NI

Old Aug 29th 2021, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

cmac86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to Italy via Dublin, Irish passport holders living in NI

Hello guys apologies for my second post here. We are booked to travel to Italy next month (original post is below in threads).

As far as we are aware we can travel to Italy if fully vaccinated and don't have to isolate for 5 days (read this today via daily mail, although still have to see tomorrow on 30th if true). We are in a bit of a pickle because we only receive our 2nd vaccine (8th September) only 6 days before entering Italy on the 14th September and I believe that we will still have to isolate since we weren't vaccinated 14 days prior to entry.

What I want to know is, if we decide to go ahead and travel how will we know if we will have to isolate on arrival? Will we get the information on that once landed in Italy? Or because we will all be double vaccinated do we not have to do the isolation? What do the authorities look for when you show them your covid cert? Do they check your final vaccine date against your arrival date into Italy?

We live in Northern Ireland and once fully vaccinated will have the NI digital cert and plan on applying that to the covid tracker Ireland app to help with our travels.

Anyone living in Ireland don't have to isolate at all when arriving in Italy as long as they have their covid cert or a negative test. We are Irish passport holders and while living in North of Ireland I am not sure if we have the same rights as one living in the republic in terms how we travel.

Are there any folks on the Italy forum here who are in the same situation as us? Would just like a little more information if it's available. We've spoken and are trying to have our last vaccine earlier so as to not mess with the 14 day cooling period before travel. We've tried emailing and broken phone lines to get more info but again still unsuccessful in our attempts to get what info we need.

Sorry for the long post, we are getting a little worried about it now as it's getting closer to our travel date.

Thanks alot.

Last edited by cmac86; Aug 29th 2021 at 1:50 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Travel to Italy via Dublin, Irish passport holders living in NI

You will need to fill in a passenger locator form and you will need to isolate upon arrival for 5 days as you won’t (technically) be fully vaccinated. On the PL you have to include countries that you were in 14 days prior to entry into Italy.

The north of Ireland is included with Great Britain, not the island of Ireland.

I arrived yesterday and had to include where I was isolating and notify the local health authority as well. I had a call today to check that I was complying with this.

You may not be told to isolate but that’s not going to cut it if you get caught and fined.

Not sure how it’ll work with the green pass as here they’re valid after only one dose, it may be different for those coming from outside the EU.

Last edited by tpw21; Aug 29th 2021 at 4:12 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tpw21
You will need to fill in a passenger locator form and you will need to isolate upon arrival for 5 days as you won’t (technically) be fully vaccinated. On the PL you have to include countries that you were in 14 days prior to entry into Italy.

The north of Ireland is included with Great Britain, not the island of Ireland.

I arrived yesterday and had to include where I was isolating and notify the local health authority as well. I had a call today to check that I was complying with this.

You may not be told to isolate but that’s not going to cut it if you get caught and fined.

Not sure how it’ll work with the green pass as here they’re valid after only one dose, it may be different for those coming from outside the EU.
Thank you for your reply I do appreciate it. I am in the process of trying to get our vaccine early. Hopefully we can achieve it and won't have those problems of isolation when we arrive. Thanks again
Old Aug 30th 2021, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cmac86
Thank you for your reply I do appreciate it. I am in the process of trying to get our vaccine early. Hopefully we can achieve it and won't have those problems of isolation when we arrive. Thanks again
You're very welcome and good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2021, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tpw21
You're very welcome and good luck!
Hello again tpw21 and sorry for another reply. We were lucky enough to get our 2nd vaccine a full week before our original date. This I believe has us with in the full 14 days before entry into Italy so we think no isolation is needed but I'd like to ask because we are a little worried we may actually still have to isolate.

We got our 2nd jab at 9am on the 31st of August, our flight is at 9:40am on the 14th September. I think that actually gives us a full 14 days to 9am on the 14th? With 40mins to spare before boarding the flight.

Will we get called up on this? Technically it's a full 14 days right up until we board. Do you think that will be problematic for us? Again sorry for quoting you.

Thanks again.

Ciaran
Old Sep 12th 2021, 9:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again tpw21 and sorry for another reply. We were lucky enough to get our 2nd vaccine a full week before our original date. This I believe has us with in the full 14 days before entry into Italy so we think no isolation is needed but I'd like to ask because we are a little worried we may actually still have to isolate.

We got our 2nd jab at 9am on the 31st of August, our flight is at 9:40am on the 14th September. I think that actually gives us a full 14 days to 9am on the 14th? With 40mins to spare before boarding the flight.

Will we get called up on this? Technically it's a full 14 days right up until we board. Do you think that will be problematic for us? Again sorry for quoting you.

Thanks again.

Ciaran

I checked the Italian Health Minister's website for you and it says nothing at all about 14 days. I believe that is just on the UK side of things. The Italian one says that people arriving from the UK must have two things: have a vaccine certificate and have a negative Covid test taken within 48 hours of entering Italy.
  • certificato di avvenuta vaccinazione
  • tampone molecolare o antigenico effettuato entro le 72 ore prima dell’ingresso in Italia. Nel caso di ingressi da UK e Irlanda del Nord e dalle isole il tampone deve essere fatto entro le 48 ore dall’ingresso in Italia.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I checked the Italian Health Minister's website for you and it says nothing at all about 14 days. I believe that is just on the UK side of things. The Italian one says that people arriving from the UK must have two things: have a vaccine certificate and have a negative Covid test taken within 48 hours of entering Italy.
  • certificato di avvenuta vaccinazione
  • tampone molecolare o antigenico effettuato entro le 72 ore prima dell’ingresso in Italia. Nel caso di ingressi da UK e Irlanda del Nord e dalle isole il tampone deve essere fatto entro le 48 ore dall’ingresso in Italia.
The 14 days after the second dose also applies in Italy for a person to be considered fully vaccinated - it’s an EU wide measure.

Last edited by tpw21; Sep 13th 2021 at 8:17 am.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again.

Ciaran
Hi Ciaran,
I’m an Irish national vaccinated in Italy and flew into Italy a couple of weeks ago and only had to hand in the paper copy of the passenger locator form and then isolate.
I’m actually flying back to Italy today, so will
let you know how I get on. In theory you need to inform the local health authority upon arrival and send them a copy of your COVID cert but I doubt many tourists actually do this.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

I flew in yesterday and they checked the PL and Green Pass in the UK - including whether it has been done over 14 days ago.