Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

has anybody ever found any salted butter here ?

I have sometimes brought big tubs of Lurpak back with me. I don't crave for it but it is nice on toast sometimes or fresh country crusty bread.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

fransarda is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I have sometimes brought big tubs of Lurpak back with me. I don't crave for it but it is nice on toast sometimes or fresh country crusty bread.
I once found Irish butter in Eurospin ( don't know if you have them over your way) It was such a treat and really cheap. They only had it for a month or so though and if I see it again I'm going to buy the lot and freeze it, hah. After reading the threads below I'm seriously thinking about making my own bread - have you noticed how hard it is to come by fresh wholemeal bread and rolls? The four rolls they seem to get in our local supermarket are usually snapped up by the time I get there.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:35 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fransarda
I once found Irish butter in Eurospin ( don't know if you have them over your way) It was such a treat and really cheap. They only had it for a month or so though and if I see it again I'm going to buy the lot and freeze it, hah. After reading the threads below I'm seriously thinking about making my own bread - have you noticed how hard it is to come by fresh wholemeal bread and rolls? The four rolls they seem to get in our local supermarket are usually snapped up by the time I get there.
I was staying with friends this summer in ireland and the Irish butter was a treat - it was so lovely and flavoured I could have happily lived on bread and butter that week.

Is it bland here because they only use it for cooking? It's certainly never spread on any bread or sandwiches ......... no doubt better for their cholesterol levels though.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I like the butter that is made from the milk they make parmesan from. I just like the butter, actually! Hate the unsalted Florentine bread, like the butter.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:48 pm

oh yes - the bread down there is only good when dipped in soup.

Maybe you should invest in a bread maker - lol
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

fransarda is on a distinguished road

Its strange about not putting bread in rolls and sandwiches, I just asked Stef and when he were a lad way back when, they did do that, but not now. It wasn't used as well as other fillings though, just on its own. They would often use pureed tomatoes or mashed olives like butter too.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:05 pm

It's hardly surprising that the people here need a litre of wine to wash down their bone dry salami or cheese sandwiches !

I do like tramezzini though with the soft white bread and "mushier" fillings.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

yet again Esselunga saves the day. They have Lurpak Slightly Salted.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:45 pm

Right that's it ............... I have to send them an email and get them to open a branch near here !
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

I did start a thread on UK shopping on-line. I see I should have put it on here, as you've already been through some of this stuff and so it was just a repeat.
Anyway, I've looked at several sites and now have to decide between British Corner Shop and British food direct. They are the cheapest - both about 15.90 for up to 30kg. The prices are just about the same. I think I'm tipping towards BFD as they have more choice. I won't get up to 30kg so it's not a problem that they add weight to offset volume. I just thought I would treat us all for Christmas.
Does anyone have any comments on these?
ps they don't have Christmas crackers but then maybe I can't expect everything1
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:04 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I think I replied to your other thread, BCS was quick and reliable. I'm getting loads of Christmas e-mails from them at the moment with all sorts of offers. I'll look out for crackers!!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice

Speaking about bread machines again if and when any of you begin to make bread tell me because I have tried and tested all the flours and can give you some recommendations.

And by the way I cook it in my oven not the machine some people think that is defeating the purpose but never had a loaf baked in the machine yet that I could eat.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I think I replied to your other thread, BCS was quick and reliable. I'm getting loads of Christmas e-mails from them at the moment with all sorts of offers. I'll look out for crackers!!
Yes, you were the only one!
I see they have lots of crackers on Amazon and I'm ordering things there too so that should solve the problem.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:37 pm

I've been here too bloody long ......... I read your post and thought "crackers - but they sell them everywhere" - thinking of the bread kind.

Only after reading the post a second time did i click.

Somebody give me a kick !!!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

passingcloud is on a distinguished road

Great news that the British Corner Shop has been quick and reliable...I've being toying with the idea of ordering from them for a while and now I'll take the plunge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.