Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Literally! Pre-decimalisation public toilets used to need 1d (1 old penny) in the slot on the front of the toilet door to open it! Now you probably need your Oyster card. 'I'm going for a swipe.' Will it catch on?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ruby2
Literally! Pre-decimalisation public toilets used to need 1d (1 old penny) in the slot on the front of the toilet door to open it! Now you probably need your Oyster card. 'I'm going for a swipe.' Will it catch on?
Just a tad ambiguous perhaps?
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Palomar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! I'm trying to learn italian, and since i'm really into tv shows i was wondering about some italian shows, so i look up and find that italians are crazy about "Gomorra" (if you want to know more Gomorra – La Serie TV | Sky Atlantic ), it's about mafia and stuff like that. The big problem with Gomorra is that it's totally in Naples dialect, it's insane ! Does some one of you understand Naples dialect? Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Palomar
Hi everyone! I'm trying to learn italian, and since i'm really into tv shows i was wondering about some italian shows, so i look up and find that italians are crazy about "Gomorra" (if you want to know more Gomorra – La Serie TV | Sky Atlantic ), it's about mafia and stuff like that. The big problem with Gomorra is that it's totally in Naples dialect, it's insane ! Does some one of you understand Naples dialect? Thanks
Most Italians don't understand it either and at least the film was shown with Italian subtitles. Isn't that option provided for the series?

If you want to find out about the camorra and Neapolitan dialect, by all means persevere, but if your aim is to learn Italian I suggest you start with something more standard!
Old Jun 18th 2016, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's why I'm called 'o nonno (grandad). But I do speak a bit of Italian too.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Neapolitan and Sicilian are not too bad with the odd word that catches me out, some of the very local Sicilian dialects are difficult, but the worst I have found in 30yrs in Italy were tight Ligurian and Sardinian dialects!!
To learn, watch the news and cartoons will give you that basic 500 word 'get by' vocabulary. Back in the 70s I was in Germany, I bought an 'Italian in 3 months' book and attempted to read Topolino, worked quite well but it took a little bit longer than 3 months to get me going well.
An Italian romantic connection also keeps the interest up too!
Old Jun 18th 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Does some one of you understand Naples dialect? Thanks
You can listen to the Naples accent every weekday night on Rai3 on "Un Posto al Sole".
Old Jun 19th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
You can listen to the Naples accent every weekday night on Rai3 on "Un Posto al Sole".
Ah, but there you talking standard Italian with just a slight burr, not proper Neapolitan. For that you need local channels like Canale 21 or Televomero. Or Mario Merola films. :-)
Old Jun 19th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Ah, but there you talking standard Italian with just a slight burr, not proper Neapolitan. For that you need local channels like Canale 21 or Televomero. Or Mario Merola films. :-)
Those boys in Franco Boschi's boxing gym have strong accents. Without subtitles I cannot understand a word.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked in Naples for 6 months, the first weeks were hilarious but you do get into it and there weren't too many misunderstandings by the end of my stay. Great place for tourists off the beaten track, you're the only tourist!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

AgingHippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao, I've read all 96 pages of this thread and I just wanted to pop in and say hello to the contributors and thank you for the smiles and knowledge. (That took forever!).

I'll be stopping in and hopefully, not become a pest asking questions. I just wanted to let you know that there is someone crazy enough to read this thread, no matter how long it was. I've never done that before so you can imagine my interest was high. Thanks again for your contributions. I've learned a lot already. Ciao.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I've just been back and re-read a lot of old posts and see that I made the same point (about the value of learning grammar) twice! Going senile, I expect. No, but probably the second time I knew I'd already posted it but thought it was in another thread / on another forum!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
carie is the word for the cavity.

otturazione is the word for a filling.
That word's going in the diary! When I turned up for the first time at my lovely dentist he took one look at my dishevelled person and sorted me at once. Grazie for the word.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what a Direct Debit payment is ?

PSG
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PSG2014
Does anyone know what a Direct Debit payment is ?

PSG
Addebito diretto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.