Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Taking lemon trees back to the UK?

Taking lemon trees back to the UK?

Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Sarah Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking lemon trees back to the UK?

Hi,

Does anyone know if I am able to take 2 lemon trees in terracotta pots back to the UK? We may be transporting them ourselves or they could go with our shipping.

Thanks, Sarah
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:41 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking lemon trees back to the UK?

Hi,
the guy next door to me left two weeks ago and the recognised movers took his plants back, not sure what the process is mind you. Do private movers not require a licence, something to do with the soil. Could be worth checking the www.defra.org.uk site
regards Kenny
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Kenny, I'll look at the website.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I did this a few weeks ago. Dear lemon tree came backto the UK in a van. It was thriving in Naples, lost a few lemons on the way then suffered a few days in wind and rain but the past few days it has been basking in the sun so fingers crossed I'll be making limoncello before long
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ariel, You didn't have any problems at customs then?? My main worry was getting them as far as France and then having them confiscated!! Someone mentioned to me that you may need a special licence to transport them back ... Thanks again, Sarah
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I wasn't in the truck, but as far as I know there weren't any special requirements. I don't think that within Europe you'll have problems. I can't imagine the guys who took our stuff had made any special arrangments regarding the lemon tree as we only ddecided to put it in at the very last minute (when we realised there was enough space).
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:24 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi All,
Importing plants into UK used to be a thing about the soil, not sure it still applies though, Did you check the website Sarah?
Have a great day - Kenny
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You may get them confiscated for fear of starting a lemon tree influenza pandemic in the UK. :-))