Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

getting bacon sent

getting bacon sent

Old May 31st 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting bacon sent

A long time ago there was a thread on how to get food delivered from the UK. So far I've had 3 parcels from British food direct and have no complaints.
I remember, though, that some people were getting bacon etc and so today I went to look at what I remembered was the site.
British Bacon now appears to be called William's Pork. I'm confused 'cos it seems to be based in the States.
Can anyone help with this? Do you have info on any sites in the UK I could use?
Old May 31st 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

wanabethere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: getting bacon sent

Originally Posted by nbrome
A long time ago there was a thread on how to get food delivered from the UK. So far I've had 3 parcels from British food direct and have no complaints.
I remember, though, that some people were getting bacon etc and so today I went to look at what I remembered was the site.
British Bacon now appears to be called William's Pork. I'm confused 'cos it seems to be based in the States.
Can anyone help with this? Do you have info on any sites in the UK I could use?
I don't know if this is of any help as I don't know if you have relations or friends that can send bacon over to you but I have sent bacon to a friend in Abruzzo a couple of times by post in a jiffy bag. Checked with the local post office and as long as it is vacuum packed there is no problem sending it. It is the one thing that my friend misses. I live in Ireland so I am not sure if that is the difference . For me it would be Hellmann's mayonnaise that I could not live without.
Old May 31st 2009, 9:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanabethere
For me it would be Hellmann's mayonnaise that I could not live without.
Yes, there really is nothing like it here! I have had friends bring it over for me. The closest, but not the real deal by any stretch, is MacDonalds Mayo, which I can get without any problem. It's the best of a bad bunch!! Calve is truly dreadful, but I like their ketchup. My kids prefer Heinz which we can get, along with HP BBQ sauce, which nearly makes up for the mayo!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

jenny g is an unknown quantity at this point

You must try the Calve without the 'novita' on the jar!!! The fools tryed adding omega 3 fish oils to it, this is why it was horrendous!!!!!!!! Jenny
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:12 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

This was the stuff in the tube. Is that the same? It was gross....! The smell put me off more than the taste!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

jenny g is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes probably!!! they do it in tubes and jars. For some unknown reason about a year ago they decided to put fish oil in to make it more 'healthy'!!! If you shop at the Esselunga, you will see that they cant give the stuff away. Fortunately at the coop they have reverted back to the old recipe..so i have happy sons once again!!!!!!!!! Bye for now
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

Esselunga own brand is okay in a jar too. The MaccyD's stuff isn't bad tbh.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, I'm trying to avoid asking relatives to post bacon! I already ask for too many favours.
The mayonnaise problem is solved by getting an order from one of the many companies which ship it.
Come on! There WAS info about shipping bacon from the UK on this site, maybe it was a year ago?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

Have you tried a search on the forum? I can get bacon here so it isn't something I can help with. It could be on the thread relating to things you miss about the UK or products people buy when they are back there?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.englishbacon.co.uk
Just did a search of this forum. I haven't looked at the site yet though, I'm in a hurry.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

SuzyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: mayonnaise, I don't mind the Kraft version - it isn't quite Helman's but not half bad.

Now bacon is another story.... how I long for bacon...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

The grass is always greener eh. I'm back over here (UK) and we're figuring out how to get Neapolitan sausages.

Funny how pigs are the same all over but the cuts / cures are so different
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:54 am
The Original Red Head!

Have you tried the Sicilian ones from Sainsbury's? Probably v. different to Neopolitan, but they are similar to the fennel sausages that are popular here in Florence and very good! I may even be mixing two different flavours up! There is one that is a little spicey and one with fennel but both labelled as Italian/Sicilian sausages.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks Testa. The Neapolitan ones have chunks of meat in, rather than the pureed stuff. I'm going to Sainsburys tmrw so I'll have a look.
We've discovered a site actually (nifeislife) which sends Italian sausages - plus other groceries, not bad prices either so we might have a whirl at that.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:07 am
The Original Red Head!

Hopefully you have some kind of decent sausage by now!! TTD Saussies from Sainsbury were my favourite - love the pork and Apple and yep, they are chunky! Try the cumberland ring too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.