Table manners

Old May 28th 2008, 8:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Table manners

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I have to make my own. Coffee on tap though.
Do I get a kiss next time?
a kiss ? depends if you are really Italianised and can wait 10 minutes for a mokka cup of coffe in the mornings or if you still use a british kettle and a spoonfull of nesacafé ?????
Old May 28th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Can't use a british kettle, not enough electricity. Don't mind waiting if someone else is making
Old May 28th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

was chatting to my american colleague today and she didnt know what a kettle was spent an amusing few minutes then explaining that while most of us have a lovely shiny new kettle in the cupboard - we dont actually use it cos it 'blows' the whole house
Old May 28th 2008, 8:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Can't use a british kettle, not enough electricity. Don't mind waiting if someone else is making
Oh come on - I'm only on basic house power but kettle works fine: Kettle and dishwasher or kettle and washing machine make the trip switch go into overdrive but kettle works.
If I had to wait these days for a tiny jug type metal saucepan to boil a few drops of water for my early morning tea I think I'd start going stir crazy.
Maybe all you folks should get in touch with your Enel or whichever electricity company to raise your watts a bit
Old May 28th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Could think of better ways to raise my 'watts' a bit hee hee
sorry - there I go lowering the tone again ....
Maybe it depends on the kettle - I have an english one and its 3kw - which is our allowance for the house - whereas the ones they sell at LIDL are only 1.7kw therefore alot better. Can't be bothered though - have bought a lovely little singing kettle which annoys the hell out of everyone else in the house !
Old May 29th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Andys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
a kiss ? depends if you are really Italianised and can wait 10 minutes for a mokka cup of coffe in the mornings or if you still use a british kettle and a spoonfull of nesacafé ?????
You can get electric plug in Mokka machines now!! I almost got one last week but ended up getting a real one

Oh & my wife is Scottish, which kind of has the same effect on certain words like the Irish i.e Fork 'N' Knife
Old May 29th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Oh come on - I'm only on basic house power but kettle works fine: Kettle and dishwasher or kettle and washing machine make the trip switch go into overdrive but kettle works.
We have 4.5W, but find it easier to wait for the stove kettle than trot to the basement to reset the trip switch. Still not in the mind set of counting Watts. My mum sent us a deep fat fryer for Christmas so we can have fish and chips, but not on wash day
Old May 29th 2008, 9:18 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I won't tell you how many watts I have, but I still have a singing kettle! I grew up with one and I prefer them to the electric ones! To make my dryer work in the shed I had to have the fuse on the plug upgraded as it kept shorting the lights in the shed!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I won't tell you how many watts I have, but I still have a singing kettle! I grew up with one and I prefer them to the electric ones! To make my dryer work in the shed I had to have the fuse on the plug upgraded as it kept shorting the lights in the shed!
Italian plugs don't have fuses.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Didn't know that about fuses. And why are there always "normal" sockets in the bathroom?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:48 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Italian plugs don't have fuses.

Okay smarty pants! I meant the breaker fuse had to be upgraded for that particular plug to stop the breaker tripping - that technical enough for ya!

The plug sockets themselves are protected in some way, so I have been told, unlike UK sockets where the protection is in the appliance plug - why we have to use surge protectors in the UK, but here it is built in, I think?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Okay smarty pants! I meant the breaker fuse had to be upgraded for that particular plug to stop the breaker tripping - that technical enough for ya!

The plug sockets themselves are protected in some way, so I have been told, unlike UK sockets where the protection is in the appliance plug - why we have to use surge protectors in the UK, but here it is built in, I think?
houses and blocks of flats are all earthed which is why there is no earth wire inside the plugs.
I still remember being taught how to change a plug in physics ....
brown to the right - blue to the left, green and yellow in the middle.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:32 am

Didn't know that about fuses. And why are there always "normal" sockets in the bathroom?
for electric rasors and hair appliances - they are usually fairly high up on the wall but are still next to the sink - which has to be a little bit dangerous.
I wonder what the statistics are on electrocuted Italians ?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:54 pm
The Original Red Head!

As far as I know, and from my small experience of other countries, the UK is the odd one out not putting plugs in bathrooms. It makes drying hair so much easier if I can do it in the bathroom. Again though I think it goes back to the fact that the UK doesn't earth the mains as such only the appliance - it's to do with ring mains and parallel or some such, I think!!