Suggestion....

Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Suggestion....

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
never liked beer so for me it would have to be a pint of cold cider !!!

I'll join you on the cider Lorna but make mine a packet of Bovril flavoured crisps
and a sherbert fountain for afters
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:29 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I go off to pay my bills at the PO and come back to three pages to wade through - glad you like the idea! Can it be made a sticky or a special page like on the Spanish Forum - what would we call it instead of Siesta time though? Apperativo Time?! Some things are good in Italy - bring out the cocktails! I've found a place here in Florence does really boozy Long Island Tea and has happy hours! Mmm!

Florence has it's own version of Pork Scratchings, I think it is called Lardo (like lardons I think!) I had them at New Year, a friend had made them, they were really good!

Didn't the hedgehog crisps help the hedgehog rescue place or something? If anyone ever gets back to Uckfield in Sussex a shop opened there just selling all the junky and old sweets. Suddenly they weren't a penny anymore though. Cost me nearly a tenner to take my kids there! I can get a few things like humbugs and pear drops in some of the sweet shops here. Have you had a chocolate salami though?! And yes, it is a sweet, not something else. Like truffle with whole hazelnuts in it!

Oh, I use "s" in organise etc...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

let's call it HAPPY HOUR then
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Okay! Where are those mod's when you need 'em?!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I go off to pay my bills at the PO and come back to three pages to wade through - glad you like the idea! Can it be made a sticky or a special page like on the Spanish Forum - what would we call it instead of Siesta time though? Apperativo Time?! Some things are good in Italy - bring out the cocktails! I've found a place here in Florence does really boozy Long Island Tea and has happy hours! Mmm!

Florence has it's own version of Pork Scratchings, I think it is called Lardo (like lardons I think!) I had them at New Year, a friend had made them, they were really good!

Didn't the hedgehog crisps help the hedgehog rescue place or something? If anyone ever gets back to Uckfield in Sussex a shop opened there just selling all the junky and old sweets. Suddenly they weren't a penny anymore though. Cost me nearly a tenner to take my kids there! I can get a few things like humbugs and pear drops in some of the sweet shops here. Have you had a chocolate salami though?! And yes, it is a sweet, not something else. Like truffle with whole hazelnuts in it!

Oh, I use "s" in organise etc...
Here in Genova there is a butchers called CENTANARO that does only pork. They use their own pigs so control the product all the way through. Needless to say the meat is excellent. Tastes like meat used to when I was a kid.
Anyway they do pork scratchings. They call them ciccoli.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
remember all of these

Coconut Ice

Flying Saucers

Sherbet Pips

Anglo Bubbly

Black Jacks

Cherry Drops

Cherry Lips

Drumstick Lollies

Floral Gums

Fruit Salads

Kola Cubes

Pear Drops

Pineapple Rock

Rhubarb and Custard

cough drops

Sherbet Dip Dab

Sherbet Lemons

bonfire toffee
The last time I was in London in December there was a sweet shop that had all the sweets like drumsticks, flying saucers, refreshers etc. It was off oxford street on the left coming from marble arch. Its called Mrs Kibble's Olde Sweet Shoppe on 4 St Christopher's Place. Unfortunately they didn't have a web site to order from.
http://www.londontown.com/LondonInfo...t_Shoppe/ca38/
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

here's my other grievance of the day
I'm turning into a cynical bossy old woman - better say something nice tomorrow ....
Has anybody else noticed a new italian trend in recent years ........
Italian parents giving their 100% Italian kids English names and then spelling them and pronouncing them all wrong.
My teeth grind everytime I hear the woman across the road calling her son Keh- vveeeen
In my son's class there is a Sharon - pronounced Sharr-ronne.
There's even a Gienifer (Jennifer)
and if you're going to give your child the name David - but then pronounce it Dah-vid - why not just call the kid Davide ???

Well my happy hour starts now so give me an hour and I might have something nice to contribute .....
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

Well, I've had my answer to making this a subforum or sticky. I'll start a new thread called "Happy Hour", so look out for it! JDR will make it a sticky for us and if it gets really busy he will see if Admin will set it up as a permanent sub-forum.

So over to Happy Hour!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I know that this thread has been usurped by Happy Hour, but I thought that this link may be of interest to some

http://www.villagesweetshop.com/shop/2/index.htm

What time is Happy Hour by the way?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:25 pm
The Original Red Head!

Any time you want, bit like English pubs used to be before they tightened up on them!