Selling our House~ ADVICE PLEASE

Selling our House~ ADVICE PLEASE

Old Apr 14th 2012, 8:09 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling our House~ ADVICE PLEASE

Ciao Tutti,
You would think after over 6 years in Sicily that we would understand something. So I offer the following question. Our house is listed with the local agent, (small towns are small towns). A woman who is not visiting until mid May has made an offer, and plans on sending the estate agent 1000 euro to hold the house from other offers. However when I asked if she decides against the house, do we retain this 1000 euros, this is what they said:

The Italian law calls a non-refundable deposit a "caparra confirmatorio" (confirmation down-payment). This word "confirmatoria" means that it both parties have signed "firmato" a document (pre-sale document = proposto d'acquisto or compromesso).

"name of agent" after years of experience had adopted a system in which to ensure that people come and visit a property and not just book it via email and then not turn up, we ask for a deposit of 1000 euro which we tell other prospective buyers who may be interested that the house is currently offer (but we still show other interested buyers the property). The lady who is interested when she comes and she wants to buy the house then the 1000 euros is deducted from the payment of the house. If on the other hand she comes and does not want to buy the house then "name of agent" would refund her the money.

So our question is what do we gain by the house being under offer, and thus off putting to other prospective buyers? Would it not be better to ask the "offerer" to consider signing a proposto d'acquisto or have her wait and if the house is still available when she arrives, then she can decide then? HMMM????
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling our House~ ADVICE PLEASE

If you haven't signed, and you haven't got the money then your house is not under offer. Your agent is merely protecting himself for no-shows and basically being paid to show properties, which is his job. You have no obligation to anyone, least of all the agent if he works like this.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:17 pm
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point

Modicasa, grazie. We thought exactly that, but I am pleased to have you confirm. So I think we will just tell said agent, that we'd rather wait until the prospective buyer is actually in town. I don't know where you are in Italy, but the weather in Sicily is bum at the moment. Cheers ~Hil
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im in Sicily too, and bum is the word! Where are you? Cianciana?