Reload this Page >

Residency Problems

Residency Problems

Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:06 am
Just Joined

lassienessie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency Problems

Hello fellow Brits,

I am having problems obtaining my residency in this small town in Italy. My husband and I have purchased and remodeled a house, we pay ICI taxes and every other tax they have been asking. My husband is an Italian passport holder. Can someone please tell me or direct me to a website which can give me accurate information regarding obtaining a residency in Italy? They have changed the requirements everytime I go in to city hall (comune) from Health insurance to wedding certificate, of which I supplied both, my husbands employers insurance and an original certificate of marriage.
I would appreciate any help offered that I could take to these inept people as they do not know or understand their own country's regulations.

Also, what are the benefits and downsides of being a resident?

Frustrated and ready to go back,

Lassienessie.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: Residency Problems

Where about in Italy are you?

I went to my comune (with my Italian passport) and I wasn't ask for anything, no prove of income, health insurance etc., they did take a copy of marriage certificate but nothing else. Beg Oct we went back to apply for residency for my husband (UK passport), they asked to see prove of income, for health insurance they were happy with new UK health card, again took copy of marriage certificate nothing else apart from usual, passport, codice fiscale

Last edited by clint; Nov 5th 2009 at 8:15 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lassienessie
Hello fellow Brits,

I am having problems obtaining my residency in this small town in Italy. My husband and I have purchased and remodeled a house, we pay ICI taxes and every other tax they have been asking. My husband is an Italian passport holder. Can someone please tell me or direct me to a website which can give me accurate information regarding obtaining a residency in Italy? They have changed the requirements everytime I go in to city hall (comune) from Health insurance to wedding certificate, of which I supplied both, my husbands employers insurance and an original certificate of marriage.
I would appreciate any help offered that I could take to these inept people as they do not know or understand their own country's regulations.

Also, what are the benefits and downsides of being a resident?

Frustrated and ready to go back,

Lassienessie.
Hi Lassienessie,

it sounds like your comune are being pillocks about this.
I don't know which comune you come under so I couldn't look to see if they had anything about this on their website, but here is the legal blurb about requirements for residency for EU citizens.

Article 7 applies to you. If you don't read Italian I can translate it later for you. Let me know.

http://www.camera.it/parlam/leggi/de...ti/07030dl.htm

I can't really think of any downsides to being a resident.

Plus points are being able to buy a car.
Getting an Italian identity card so you don't need to drag your passport around with you.
Lower rates on electric bills for domestic residence consumption.
There must be others too but I can't think of them now.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 5th 2009 at 1:25 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi Lassienessie,

I don't know which comune you come under so I couldn't look to see if they had anything about this on their website, but here is the legal blurb about requirements for residency for EU citizens.

Article 7 applies to you. If you don't read Italian I can translate it later for you. Let me know.

Getting an Italian identity card so you don't need to drag your passport around with you.
hi ihave found most comunes make up the rules as they go along find someone who is known at the comune to make a path for you as this is an easy process now but it depends on the dragon at the comune , the main thing is to keep smiling and let themse you smiling . you dont say what comune you are having truble whith send me a pm i might find someone who can help you , and the maine thing is dont give up . I was once told by the questura in chieti tha great britain did not join the EU properly and i would have to Q with non EU members and only get a permeso di sorgorno for 8 months, i rang the british consull in rome and they said whatever they say goes as al comunes make their own rules up . this is just to put it in perspective , i have been here 5 years and just renued my carta di identita 2mins and a rubber stamp so keep smiling and dont give up
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

lassienessie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi Lassienessie,

Hi Lorna, thanks for your reply. I think you are correct. They are being pillocks. Everyone here seems to be related and for some reason resent my presence. the comune is Frisanco is in the province of Pordenone, not to far from Vicenza. How do I go about obtaining an Italian citizenship on my husbands Italian passport?

regards,

Lassienessie
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Lassienessie

Cant help you really as Lorna is the whizz with all these things - but just to say I have been to Pordenone once (or rather Sacile nearby).
Stick with it and dont give up - even here in Piemonte each comune makes their own rules - but you learn to just keep smiling and never ever let the buggers get you down
Let us know how you get on though !
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lassienessie
Hi Lorna, thanks for your reply. I think you are correct. They are being pillocks. Everyone here seems to be related and for some reason resent my presence. the comune is Frisanco is in the province of Pordenone, not to far from Vicenza. How do I go about obtaining an Italian citizenship on my husbands Italian passport?

regards,

Lassienessie
hello again,

your comune does have a website but there is no info on there at all for foreigners. The mayor's cell phone number and email are on there though if you feel like contacting him and telling him his staff are all idiots

http://www.comunefrisanco.it/

The website for the comune of Pordenone does have more info and this is what they say you need to get residency ....

http://www.comune.pordenone.it/comun...ttadini_ue.pdf

Citizenship is different and has nothing to do with the comune. Requests for citizenship are processed by the Prefettura and like most "official" things here there is no set time for how long it could take. I know a girl that got hers in 2 years - for another girl it took 5 years for it all to come through... and getting all the right documents translated and legalised was a pain.

Anyway - the legal blurb on the Minister for Internal Affairs website says that you have to be a legal resident in Italy for 2 years before you can apply.....
it also says that this time is halved if a child is born to or adopted by the married partners.

Here's the link .....

http://www.interno.it/mininterno/exp...rs_8_8_09.html

Sorry that's not much help but if you have any more questions - ask away.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

sonofjoe will become famous soon enoughsonofjoe will become famous soon enough

After 8 visits to the commune and one to vigili urbani, 2 completed forms and two emails to the British Embassy and with three months of frustration, I’ve given up. The commune can sing for the ICI and water bill payments.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

The fco's site provides a lot of useful information.http://ukinitaly.fco.gov.ok/en/

You're comune and many others just don't know what they are doing.

You can obtain Italian nationality after 2yrs in Italy or 3yrs elsewhere.