Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency or Not?

Residency or Not?

Old Jul 31st 2014, 4:14 pm
Living the Dream

Efes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to all
Default Residency or Not?

Hi all,
New member here, so hi.
We are in the process of buying a house in Italy, and all seems to be going pretty well so far (touches nearby wood).

Today we had a chap from Pickfords round to give us an estimate for moving our stuff from the UK over to our new house. He left us with a document describing the rules for importing goods into Italy, and this is where my confusion starts. I was under the impression that we had a fair while before we needed to apply for residency, however, the form states that to import good we will need
Copy of the residency application showing the last residence country
This reads to me that we have to apply for residency before actually moving.
Any advice gratefully received
Confused
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency or Not?

Depends where you are moving from? If its from within the EU then the rules are different. If its from outside the EU without residency you will be hit with import duty on your stuff. I would ask PIckfords what they mean.... !
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:03 am
Living the Dream

Efes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply, I'll be moving from the UK, so EU
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:37 am
Just Joined

keysha is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Italy from Scotland 5 years ago and wasn't asked anything about being a resident. I used a company called Bishops Move who were excellent - if you've double checked with Pickfords and they insist it is right I'd give this company a call and see what they say about needing to be a resident.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 7:44 am
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by keysha
I moved to Italy from Scotland 5 years ago and wasn't asked anything about being a resident. I used a company called Bishops Move who were excellent - if you've double checked with Pickfords and they insist it is right I'd give this company a call and see what they say about needing to be a resident.
Thanks, useful. I'll see what Pickfords say, then maybe give them a call.

Would the Italian Consulate be the right place for the definitive word on this?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

keysha is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be worth asking but may take some time!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly do not have to be resident to 'move' here, you are required to 'become' resident after 185 days (I think !).

I would think VERY carefully indeed about the pros and cons of taking up residency, a few of our friends have 'de'- residented themselves in the last year or so for various reasons.

PSG
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:21 am
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by PSG2014
You certainly do not have to be resident to 'move' here, you are required to 'become' resident after 185 days (I think !).

I would think VERY carefully indeed about the pros and cons of taking up residency, a few of our friends have 'de'- residented themselves in the last year or so for various reasons.

PSG
Cheers, must admit I can't find anything about this apart from on mover's sites. But, just spoken to Pickfords who say it's only for non-EU citizens
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Krakra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PSG2014

PSG
Can someone please help with listing the pros and cons of being a resident here? Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Pro's - you get a carta d'identita
Cons - your life becomes a living hell.

Seriously - if tyou have the choice - ie you are not spending 183 days a year in Italy, then dont do it. You will pay more tax, much more tax, and you will become part of the Italian state which means hours and hours of misery in queues. If you are from an EU state, and plan to holiday here regularly, there is no need at all to get Italian residency and you remain happy and contented.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Efes123
Hi all,
New member here, so hi.
We are in the process of buying a house in Italy, and all seems to be going pretty well so far (touches nearby wood).

Today we had a chap from Pickfords round to give us an estimate for moving our stuff from the UK over to our new house. He left us with a document describing the rules for importing goods into Italy, and this is where my confusion starts. I was under the impression that we had a fair while before we needed to apply for residency, however, the form states that to import good we will need
This reads to me that we have to apply for residency before actually moving.
Any advice gratefully received
Confused
I think the "document showing last residence country' they want a copy of means a document showing your country of residence before the move - in your case the UK. It may also be your country of residence after the move. The point is that they want something saying where you and the goods are coming from, and especially whether it's an EU country or not, for customs purposes.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

If you own a property in Italy you have more flexibility and will enjoy it much more by continuing as a UK resident.
Ask your Italian neighbours what life is like for a resident.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:06 am
Capo di nessuno capo

stefanaccio is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think that car registration and health insurance would be perhaps the two most salient concerns when considering the residency issue.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:33 am
Living the Dream

I suppose a lot depends on how much disposable income you have, or whether you have a pot of money, or need to work and pay tax
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Am just watching this thread but just to say that's one hell of a damning post from modicasa who has always struck me as very practical and helpful and not inclined to discuss political issues as such.

Oh Italy - sort yourself out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.