Reload this Page >

removals from uk to italy

removals from uk to italy

Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

katiejane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default removals from uk to italy

hey!

almost time for my move from scotland to Turin! Wondered what shipping companies other expats used for there big move to Italy? or is it best to rent a van and do it ourselves? Iv had some quotes of 6000£ and up, looking for a cheaper option,

thanks xxxx
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:04 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: removals from uk to italy

hi

Where are you going from exactly and how much stuff do you have to move?

I will send you a pm in 1 min

I am interested in maybe helping out here, I have driven a lot of vans and done the Scotland to Italy route few times also (for a fee), if you want to fly I can go from Scotland to Torino Leave Friday 1st April arrive Sunday 3rd

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Feb 13th 2011 at 5:01 pm. Reason: editor
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:19 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a note to anyone else looking at this thread.

For a small fee I am willing to do the long drives for you

35 years old
no accidents in 15 years of driving, 100% clean license no speeding tickets etc

Non drinker
Non smoker

Have done deliveries and house removals in the past.

From the UK to Italy (or back)
£0.90 per mile, will help load and unload also.

Plus £30 per day with max miles per day 500, if its practical to chop an 1100 mile route to 2 days I will do it, but assume that I would not so you can be delighted if I can!

Hire the van and I will get it done for you - you need to add £99 to cost for independent contents insurance.

so as guesstimates

edinburgh to sicily would be £1920 (4 days and 2000 miles)
edinburgh to Turin would be £1094
aberdeen to turin would be £1175

glasgow to Turin would be (probably would not go to Glasgow) har har

you get the picture

thanks

Just as a note to the MODs

This is not my job and its no problem if you delete this as I have PMd the original poster.
This route happens to fit with my plans (as you may be aware from my other recent posts).

I worked the rates out of the top of my head, I have done 2 routes to Italy for people, Bologna and Augusta (southern Sicily)

thanks again

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Feb 13th 2011 at 5:26 pm. Reason: editor
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

katiejane is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, but if we were going to rent a van, my other half is planning on driving. xx
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:37 pm

kennybg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
just moved back 2 weeks ago to native Italy after 10 years in the UK. Return trip. I had a less than half container (8 cubic meters) in terms of quantities. Quotes for removal companies where around £2000 to 3000. Rented a van with europecar. Overall cost from East Anglia to Northern Italy was around £1200-1300: rental=£350 for 5 days, petrol: £420 tolls=£200 (but could have been cheeper if passing from Switzerland as you just pay a £25 annual tax), train under the channel=£139, 2 nights hotel in France, cheeper=£80 I got a long base van, but could have done with a medium size. So it depends a lot on quantity and length of trip as fuel prices are so high at the moment. But I bet it's always cheeper than removal companies. You have to allow for 2 days rest after the trip!!
Hope this helps. All the best.
Kenny
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:26 pm
Banned

5 days?

East Anglia?

Pah,

Done Edinburgh to Sicily in 3 days
Edinburgh to Milan in 2 days
Edinburgh to Bologna in 2 days

Ferry is cheaper

East Anglia to North of Italy, almost a single days drive
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:23 am

I like to keep my speed limits within the law + for I needed the van for an extra day anyway. :-) K
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
5 days?

East Anglia?

Pah,

Done Edinburgh to Sicily in 3 days
Edinburgh to Milan in 2 days
Edinburgh to Bologna in 2 days

Ferry is cheaper

East Anglia to North of Italy, almost a single days drive
Maybe he wasn't in a hurry? The ferry maybe cheaper but is bloody slow compared to the tunnel.

Edinburgh to Milan is doable in a day, just depends how tough you're feeling, distance wise its not far, its the traffic UK side thats the painfull part. After all its only about 5/6 hrs to London from Edinburgh.

Back when I was a 'boy trucker' almost anywhere in Europe was 'doable' in a day... my boss said it was..... so it was!

Barcelona to London with 24 tons of fruit.... one go... no problem! Cardiff to Ulm and then on to Frankfurt, I'll do that after tea then shall I?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuvoletta
Maybe he wasn't in a hurry? The ferry maybe cheaper but is bloody slow compared to the tunnel.

Edinburgh to Milan is doable in a day, just depends how tough you're feeling, distance wise its not far, its the traffic UK side thats the painfull part. After all its only about 5/6 hrs to London from Edinburgh.

Back when I was a 'boy trucker' almost anywhere in Europe was 'doable' in a day... my boss said it was..... so it was!

Barcelona to London with 24 tons of fruit.... one go... no problem! Cardiff to Ulm and then on to Frankfurt, I'll do that after tea then shall I?
I'm obviously being thick here. How is Edinburgh to Milan doable in a day? Edinburgh to Dover is the best part of a full days driving, surely? Then the ferry / train. Then Calais to Milan.

I drove from Birmingham to Valencia with two drivers some years ago, and that took 24 hours non stop.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm obviously being thick here. How is Edinburgh to Milan doable in a day? Edinburgh to Dover is the best part of a full days driving, surely? Then the ferry / train. Then Calais to Milan.

I drove from Birmingham to Valencia with two drivers some years ago, and that took 24 hours non stop.
A days drive from Scotland to Folkstone, well not really, its about 450km which depending on the time you leave will take between 6 and 7hrs. Then on to Milan which is another 11hrs or so. I always choose the tunnel as its only 35 minutes... I didn't say it was easy... I said it was doable!

I've done this sort of distance on a motorbike in a day, my old BMW GS had a 300 mile tank range and I could knock off a 1000 miles in a day without too much problem.Frejus (south of France) to Milton Keynes used to be one days ride, about 16 hrs. Distance is a frame of mind, think its a long way and it will be.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:38 am

Hi, I think you can do Scotland to Turin in a day, but the snow in the Alps is still possible and can dictate speeds. On my way back to the UK I encountered a terrible storm in France that lasted for hours. As I was moving my personal stuff I also needed to load and move things. This can take few hours too. I think it's just sensible to brake the trip and enjoy a little the landscape too, if you can afford to do so time and money wise.
K
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuvoletta
A days drive from Scotland to Folkstone, well not really, its about 450km which depending on the time you leave will take between 6 and 7hrs. Then on to Milan which is another 11hrs or so. I always choose the tunnel as its only 35 minutes... I didn't say it was easy... I said it was doable!

I've done this sort of distance on a motorbike in a day, my old BMW GS had a 300 mile tank range and I could knock off a 1000 miles in a day without too much problem.Frejus (south of France) to Milton Keynes used to be one days ride, about 16 hrs. Distance is a frame of mind, think its a long way and it will be.
Point taken, but its actually 1150 miles Edinburgh to Milan. Taking into consideration time taken at the ferry and no time allowed for stops or fuel stops or inevitable traffic jams, you're talking a constant speed average of a touch under 70 mph. As I said, I've done Birmingham Valencia which is 50 miles more in 24 hours non stop (apart from petrol and breakfast) with another driver. Had I been doing it alone I would have been a danger to all around me towards the end.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:49 pm
Banned

Just as a btw

850 miles on day 1, this involved being in the motor for 18.5 hours - ferry, traffic, fog, stop for food, petrol etc etc

Its over 400miles from Edinburgh to the ferry. Which if you hope to average 60mph is around 7 hours (Not all motorway), then you have the ferry time, wait, board, sail and repeat in France.

I believe it took just over 8 hours to get to Dover.

I did not speed as I was travelling so far I did not want to burn too many tanks of fuel.

Italy would have been ridiculous as was driving on my todd, 850 miles in 1 day is pretty nuts, especially when you throw ferry in too.

k

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Mar 1st 2011 at 4:52 pm. Reason: Editor
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Just as a btw

850 miles on day 1, this involved being in the motor for 18.5 hours - ferry, traffic, fog, stop for food, petrol etc etc

Its over 400miles from Edinburgh to the ferry. Which if you hope to average 60mph is around 7 hours (Not all motorway), then you have the ferry time, wait, board, sail and repeat in France.

I believe it took just over 8 hours to get to Dover.

I did not speed as I was travelling so far I did not want to burn too many tanks of fuel.

Italy would have been ridiculous as was driving on my todd, 850 miles in 1 day is pretty nuts, especially when you throw ferry in too.

k
Yep, even with two of us driving I was becoming seriously worried in the last 100 kms of our drive. The other driver and my wife were out cold, and I was existing on Red Bull. Looking back on it I was stupid ... I should have stopped.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:38 pm
Banned

Thing was, my route was just over 2200 miles and I wanted to get it done in 3 days, which I did

Worst part of the journey BY A MILE was MILAN, that place ALWAYS has fog!

k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.