Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Originally Posted by duffer
Yeah - Bloody foreigners everywhere here!

I had a english lady tell me that i shouldnt go to the italian lessons in my commune because its full of foreigners. ironic
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've been asked by the "scuola materna" teachers, the local pediatrician and the dentist to help them communicate with a mother in either English or French because most of the foreign mothers here have not bothered to take up the option of the free lessons in the comune.

The pediatrician even asked me to write out "please bring your own nappies with you" in English so that she could print it out and put it up.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

At least here we've never be racially abused as we have in the u.k. And I can still visualize the exact spot we were in when 2 women came up to me and asked me what colour my oh was just because one of my son's is fair with blue eyes and one olive and dark eyed!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:14 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Like my kids ........ my dark Italian Diva and my little blonde and blue eyed boy.

People have asked if they are brother and sister ........ a couple of old biddies have gone one step further and asked if they have the same father !!!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:19 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Like my kids ........ my dark Italian Diva and my little blonde and blue eyed boy.

People have asked if they are brother and sister ........ a couple of old biddies have gone one step further and asked if they have the same father !!!!!!
My oh usually gets asked if he's sure our youngest is his! Bet your blue eyed blonde get's away with murder. Old biddies here love them.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

steve went back to derby a couple of weeks ago to derby he was buying a few bits to bring back, he called me on his mobile to ask what I would like three guys said have you got money, ste said no then we,ll take your f---g phone then, ste says I think not, luckily we both have done martial arts. He also didn,t hear much english spoken in town. A lot of my friends have stopped shopping in derby in the day due to feeling unsafe. Have to admit things are very much cheaper in the uk also more choice of things. I love the clothes here. I love the way the Italians are with their children not swearing or shouting abuse at them . I am nipping back myself after easter so I am sure I will notice the differences.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

We moved back to the UK from Italy in August 08 and we are so much happier for the move. Firstly, and most importantly, we are not the foreigners anymore, a blessed relief. Secondly, the schooling here is infinitely better. Thirdly, our daughters English was suffering horribly for hearing, speaking and writing Italian all day and for us it was more important that her English was good than her Italian.

All the usual things about it being cheaper to live in the UK and having more choice in the shops also makes it great to be back. It is also wonderful to see rain on the horizon and not worry about whether the electricity and phone will be cut off also I turn the gas heating up without a second thought, something that I could never do in Italy without robbing a bank first

I do hope that bricwood is hoping to retire to a small town in Italy and that he updates us regularly with his progress

I am perplexed by the comment about Italians not shouting at their children? I thought that it was the default setting, especially in the schools!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you Katu - I'm so glad its worked out for you and I'm rather envious
I agree with you - italians definitely DO shout at their kids !!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Are you wanting to return to the Uk Patty?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - Italians DO shout at their kids and the ones that do it in public tend to resemble exactly their UK counterparts down to the pineapple pony and shell suit!

Now I am pretty good friends with a few Italian mums they are less concerned about appearances and will let rip in front of me - something I never had any compunction about anyway (secret shell suit wearer..) Growing up in Wythenshawe does that for you though!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

There's a few rough towns by Marinella that even made a Mancunian/adopted scouser like me quake in my boots
As for shouting, ISN'T THAT THE NORMAL WAY FOR ITALIANS TO SPEAK ?????
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:22 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I agree - Italians DO shout at their kids and the ones that do it in public tend to resemble exactly their UK counterparts down to the pineapple pony and shell suit!

Now I am pretty good friends with a few Italian mums they are less concerned about appearances and will let rip in front of me - something I never had any compunction about anyway (secret shell suit wearer..) Growing up in Wythenshawe does that for you though!
What do you mean let rip? Like as in breaking wind in front of you??
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:12 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I give up.....
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:12 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! Bianca!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:32 pm

Yes, I have heard Italian mums shout ......... but not with all the extra added swearing and blinding that I have heard in the UK.

I was shocked to my core when I heard one UK mother telling her toddler to get his "effing arse on the effing bus, stupid little fu**er."

Granted not everyone speaks like that.

The Italians mums that plead and beg with their kids to get up off the supermarket floor or wherever are the ones that get on my nerves.

"come on sweetie darling, little star, mummy's little love, please don't kick mummy like that." I mean come on !!! So many of the little beggars seem to rule the parents here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.