Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

I was reading the "moving back to the UK" forum and there's a thread on there asking if anyone regrets going back. As it is mostly OZ / US expats on there, I was wondering if anyone had regretted the experience of moving back to the UK from Italy?

No one I know has regretted it (going from Italy to UK), though the US/Oz expats seem to... There was a warning about not viewing everything about the UK through rose tinted specs, which I can understand very much. I think the job market here probably means many are forced to go back so you could really regret leaving such a situation. Hmmm.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

carlette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I was reading the "moving back to the UK" forum and there's a thread on there asking if anyone regrets going back. As it is mostly OZ / US expats on there, I was wondering if anyone had regretted the experience of moving back to the UK from Italy?

No one I know has regretted it (going from Italy to UK), though the US/Oz expats seem to... There was a warning about not viewing everything about the UK through rose tinted specs, which I can understand very much. I think the job market here probably means many are forced to go back so you could really regret leaving such a situation. Hmmm.
I live in (just outside) Naples too and after many years here the pros outweigh the cons. I love the UK, am fiercely British, visit regularly, but don't think I'd be able to live there any more, maybe a fish out of water?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:20 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:50 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi,
We've only been here 18 months and intend to stay, can't see the joy of going back to UK permanently, and the kids/grandaughter visit quite regularly (along with Mother and Mother-in-Law)
Carlette - Maureen will have a stack of books for you at Villa B early next week when she goes back to work
regards Kenny
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

sashasdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Kenny and Moe, of topic but whats the weather like?

Currently hovering between -5 and 2 degrees here at the minute. Back on friday after the christmas break and ready to lose a few pounds!!

Happy new year to all.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. I think it depends what stage of your life you're at as to how acceptable of the situation you are. By this I mean, I am pre-children, and I just don't know about having kids here. Due to the employment situation and linited work / part time work available here and pay levels, it means I would have to work over 40 hrs a week even with a tiny baby. I don't want someone else to bring up my kids but there would be little choice.

Plus the streets are so dirty and there's a lack of civilisation towards others which I find unbareable.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:29 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Steve,
again off topic but the weather is wet today and about 12 during the day and down to 2 or 3 at night, last weekend we had frost on the ground, a lot better than UK though. Can you give us a comment about the general feeling amongst the UK populus at the moment what with job cuts etc

Ariel,
sorry to read you are a little bit disillusioned with life in Napoli, fortunately where I live seems to be a lot cleaner than where you are. As for jobs you are probably right, very difficult around here. My daughter (in UK) is now bringing up her baby and things are not cheap for babies, luckily she has a job which provides child care so that's a bonus. Bear in mind the current state of UK, with a prediction of 130,000 job losses in the next 12 months, there may be few jobs around to go back to (skilled or non-skilled), and working 40 hours a week in UK (full time) is fairly normal. I think here is a lot better than UK at this time and the weather is tons better. Keep smiling.
Regards Kenny
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:48 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Kenny and Moe - when my daughter was born (in UK) I was going through a tough time financially. If your daughter has no problems with it tell her the best places for baby stuff up to about the age of 2 years is the charity shops, especially places like NCH which get donations of samples from places like Adams - not any more obviously!!! - most stuff, if carefully chosen, is like new. When my daughter was tiny she was reguarly dressed in catimini, Kenzo and other labels found in these shops! So not only bargain prices but designer bargains too! The other place to go are the NCT sales that should be held in her area. Babies are in their clothes for such a short time it really isn't worth buying new frocks. Underwear, socks and nightwear yes, but otherwise, who is going to know?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:33 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Testarossa,
very many thanks for the information, I have passed it on. She actually goes back from here every time with a stack of baby stuff off the markets around Naples, sooooo much cheaper than UK. What she can't get in her suitcase I post back at cheap rates. (I'm sure I am being conned by her somewhere along the way), But hey thats what Dads and Grandads are for isn't it
thanks again
Kenny
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, definitely!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Kenny, things here are somewhat depressing. A lot of people that we know are going/have gone back after the holidays to find that there will redundancies/cuts being made. The lucky ones are those facing redundancy as at least they will get a redundancy payment, whereas those whose stay until the company goes into administration will have to fight for the money. That being said the highstreets are looking decidedly empty. You just have to look at the amount of big names that are disappearing and the whole effect is one of gloom.

We had a new coffee shop opened in Sandy on Monday and I am not taking bets on how long it will last! Although if they have a look and see what is missing theymight be able to make a go of it, ie more atmosphere, comfy seats and be able to cater to a passing trade. That is something else I have noticed, take the kids in to a Costa for a coffee and a soft drink with some pastries and you are looking at the thick end of £10, and for inferior coffee, stroll on Monday when I can get down to Rizzo's for an espresso fix for 80euros.

The govt also announced an extra half a percent cut in interest rates today. cannot see that making a blind bit of difference either. Not worth having savings at the minute might as well stick it all under the mattress!

See you around on Monday, hope the new house is going all right.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:17 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Steve,
UK as expected then, M&S closing 27 stores was announced yesterday, it will be John Lewis next.....Lowering of interest rates worked out good for mortgage payments but of course companies will only go so low and don't pass on the low rates but will pay savings at the lower rates. As you say, better under the matress.

Rizzo's coffee at 80 euros are you buying the machine from them, I know you meant 80 cents

House stuff is progressing - slowly, very slowly
See you next week have a good trip back - still wet and windy today
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:45 pm
The Original Red Head!

€80 makes Starbucks look a bargain!

I would take my kids on a shopping trip to Sainsbury's, we would go in the instore Starbucks before or after. Never saw more than 10p change from £20!!

Heard about M&S this a.m. You can't blame them after what they have been through. Trying to hold on to these shops would probably wipe them off the face of the high street too, so better 27 shops than the whole group. No consolation to those losing their job though. Why JL next? I thought they and Sainsbury's were among those weathering it? JL is the barometer anyway isn't it? So if that does start closing or laying staff off the trouble is even bigger than we thought!!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:12 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

The same was said about M&S back in October
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

It's just the M&S simply food shops that are closing, apparently Greggs sausage rolls are a better deal.

Cartoon in yesterdays Times,

"It's not just any redundancy, it's an M&S redundancy!"

Made me laugh anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.