Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless English

Originally Posted by ononno
Down our way thre seems to be a sudden burst of schools advertising 'open day'. Never seen them before, must have become fashionable; grandson is going to one today. Also this 'quantative easing'. I'm mother tongue English speaking, and don't know what it means really, imagine the average Italian. Sound about as uncomfortable as a large dose of laxative.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Its still ' scuola aperta '' here and I was at one yesterday with my daughter . The Head did not use a single word of english until he found himself talking about a course called ' videomaking '' which he then defined in italian . I was quite surprised !
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by modicasa
Re: BuonaScuola - Who translated that?! - Ive never seen tape being unlatched. Just horrible. But the point of it is what exactly? To tell non Italian speakers that the education system doesn't work?
..and to tell them they can't even produce any decent translators!

"extraordinary recruitment plan" .. "most burdensome rules" .. "the didactical offer " .."hired only via a public competition" .. .

....it's horrible.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:38 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

My son plays ragby for the under-otto squadra.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer
My son plays ragby for the under-otto squadra.
Anything's better than 'regby'.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Guardrails have been mentioned which brought back memories of a conversation I had with an Italian. He started to talk about the New Jersey (perfect pronunciation) in the road and not letting on I didn't know what he was on about, I had to go and google it!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Pugliese - you've got me. What did he mean?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Pugliese - you've got me. What did he mean?
Got me too so I Googled. They're the big concrete road dividers.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=je...w=1120&bih=565
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

The attached image shows the front page from today's La Gazzetta dello Sport.
Attached Thumbnails Pointless English-_80468093_gazzetta_dellosport1_twitter.jpg  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:47 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I find it easier to accept English words in Italian when they're brand new and come from modern technology like 'download' 'router' and 'selfie' (though I dislike that word).
When I first arrived here there wasn't any English being bandied about and I had to learn Italian words for everything. People spoke about affari not business. They paid in contanti not cash. Girls used trucco and not make-up. A freezer was a congelatore and school kids caught the corriera not the bus.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Actually he was talking about the plastic ones (red and yellow) which are filled up with water and used as barrier. Seems they were invented in New Jersey and hence the name (well in Italy, anyway).
Attached Thumbnails Pointless English-new-jersey.jpg  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by pugliese
Actually he was talking about the plastic ones (red and yellow) which are filled up with water and used as barrier. Seems they were invented in New Jersey and hence the name (well in Italy, anyway).
I thought they were filled with sand. I don't know why. I just did.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Been on google again and it seems you can use either water or sand! The ones I saw were used on a testing track and filled with water because when the trials were finished, they just let the water run out and then loaded them back on the lorry to use them again somewhere else - would have been very heavy with all that sand still in them!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by pugliese
Been on google again and it seems you can use either water or sand! The ones I saw were used on a testing track and filled with water because when the trials were finished, they just let the water run out and then loaded them back on the lorry to use them again somewhere else - would have been very heavy with all that sand still in them!
Could have done with a few of them round 'ere last week. My little lad got stopped on the cycle path by a Carabiniere whilst cycling to school and asked "where you off to son?" Alex didn't know if he was in trouble or not so just said, 'school'. The policeman then said, "if I take you across the road and onto this other back street do you know how to get to school from there?" Alex said he did. Why? Because there was an upturned car in the middle of the roundabout
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
.."where you off to son?"..
I'm just wondering how he actually said that.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:52 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I thought they were filled with sand. I don't know why. I just did.
They tend to fill them with sand in Turin because people have been known to drill a hole in the and move them. They do the same with 'panetonne'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.