Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

photovoltaic panels

photovoltaic panels

Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default photovoltaic panels

I wondered if anyone has had photovoltaic panels installed and what was your experience like?

Thanks

Isacat
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: photovoltaic panels

I looked into getting some panels in my house for the near future and got talking to someone who had them fitted in his place. They are pretty expensive to install and to recover the cost takes a long long time. Also because they produce DC current you have to Install an inverter to change to AC which can use up to 10% of the power. However with the rising cost of utility bills and hopefully a decrease in the cost of solar panels it might be a worthwhile investment. Of course if you just want to do your bit for the environment and arent too concerned by the cost then all i can say is thankyou on behalf of Mother earth

Wind turbines are supposed to be a better investment. You just have to be located somewhere where there's alot of wind
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

hi. i live in the uk but i am planning to move to italy next year to buy and do up a house with land. i have also been looking into renewable energy recently, and as John says solar will cut your electric consumption but for a cost. just last night i was looking at 'Ground Source Heat Pumps' and 'Air source Heat Pumps' as an efficient heating source for central heating and hot water.
the ground source needs either a 1metre deep trench at least 10 metres long, or a 1metre square borehole of at least 10 meters as it extracts heat from the ground even in frosty conditions! so if you have very little land then this is no good.
the air source unit takes up very little room and can be put in a utility room or cellar. they both use elecrtic pumps (approx 1kw) but can easily return 3-4kw in heat energy.
even in the coldest winters they should heat tap water to about 55 degrees C and keep your central heating to 18-20 degrees. this doesn't sound that much but how many people run a 'hot' bath (about 65-70 degrees)and put cold water in so it doesn't scald.
the cost for the ground system so far as i can tell is way under £10,000.
this includes the ground loop and pump and i believe this includes the cost of 20% larger radiators to improve efficiency.
the air pump system is not quite so efficient but is less than half the price and is really easy to fit 'apparently'.
also during the summer these systems can be reversed to give a cooling effect to your house.
using these systems you can 'again apparently' do away with your gas supply or fossil fuel burner for your central heating system completely saving thousands.
combine this with solar and who knows?

here is a couple of links for info:

http://www.lowcarbonbuildings.org.uk/micro/ground/

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...rce-heat-pumps
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.
We need to think and study all the data we have been given and then make a decission on whether to install the panels.
The ground source heat pumps sounds very interesting, however, to dig a trench long 10 mtrs and wide 1 meter, will require destroying fruit and olive trees on one side or the drive on the other?!

Regards,

Isacat