Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Paying by bonifico bancario without an Italian account?

Paying by bonifico bancario without an Italian account?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Halfpint1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Paying by bonifico bancario without an Italian account?

Hi Guys
Does anybody know if it is at all possible to pay by bonifico if I don't have an Italian account? Still fairly new in Italy so haven't yet looked into opening a bank account. Have finally got internet set up at home after 8 weeks of waiting, lots of screaming and temper tantrums (!) but now they inform me I can only pay by bonifico bancario (my landlord arranged for it to be set up, it's through a local small company and not a well known internet provider...moral of the story - should'da done it meself!).

I can make an international transfer from my English account but it'll cost £20 per transaction. I was going to attempt to go into the bank where the account is held and try to pay the cash into their account - I have the address of the bank and IBAN no. - does anyone know if this might work or have any other suggestions??

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, Steph
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying by bonifico bancario without an Italian account?

Originally Posted by Halfpint1
Hi Guys
Does anybody know if it is at all possible to pay by bonifico if I don't have an Italian account? Still fairly new in Italy so haven't yet looked into opening a bank account. Have finally got internet set up at home after 8 weeks of waiting, lots of screaming and temper tantrums (!) but now they inform me I can only pay by bonifico bancario (my landlord arranged for it to be set up, it's through a local small company and not a well known internet provider...moral of the story - should'da done it meself!).

I can make an international transfer from my English account but it'll cost £20 per transaction. I was going to attempt to go into the bank where the account is held and try to pay the cash into their account - I have the address of the bank and IBAN no. - does anyone know if this might work or have any other suggestions??

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, Steph

You can do a bonifico over the counter at any bank. It's referred to as a 'bonifico per cassa'. It will get there quicker if you use the same bank even if it's not the same branch. Cost wise depends. It should be from €5 to €10.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:55 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

The Paypal prepaid credit card gives you a personal IBAN number to receive and make payments. I don't know the costs but I am betting that it's cheaper than paying over the counter at a bank.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Halfpint1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fabulous! Thank you both. I'll stop worrying about it now and just get down to the bank and do it then. Cheers
Steph
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice

Hi Halfpint
I know I said this before but as u r new I thought I would say it again... I suggest you get open up an ING Direct online account. (No I don't work for ING direct or work on commission ).
It is such a great account, I don't pay ANY bank charges and can withdraw cash anywhere in italy, and in the UK. You can also do online bank wire transfers to the uk and all over FREEEEEEEE.
Trust me, a bank account like this is Italy is almost like gold dust... if only they had this years ago could have saved a fortune on bank fees and stress!