Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Paper ID cards become invalid in 2026

Paper ID cards become invalid in 2026

Old Aug 3rd 2023, 6:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paper ID cards become invalid in 2026

A heads up for all you nice people who, like me have still got a paper ID card. They will cease to be valid after 03 August 2026 even if yours expires at a later date. My own expires in October 2026 so will be invalid for a few months even if I keep it stuck in my purse and forget about it. This isn't just a whim of which Comune will apply different practices like they are known to do, or which stronza/stronzo you find at the front counter one day. It's a proper normativa/regolamento. I predict a huge rush of crazy, mad Italians all trying to get the new plastic card in 2026 so slowly, slowly, we should ask for ours now. Apparently we don't need to lose the old one, pretend it got eaten or scrumpled by the washing machine and do the denuncia at the police. We just go to the Comune and ask to make the change from paper to plastic. Plastic of course costs more than the old paper one and they want your index fingerprints. On the plus side, the Carta di Identità Elettronica should become the default bit of plastic for everyone and phase out the hated and failed SPID.
https://www.cartaidentita.interno.gov.it/.../normativ.../...%

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 3rd 2023 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paper ID cards become invalid in 2026

Whats wrong with the SPID? I use it all the time.
The problem with the ID Card is that you need to buy a card reader. The SPID is for home use and the ID card is pushing folks back to the public offices and queues. A reliable card reader costs €50 and the SPID was free.

Last edited by philat98; Aug 3rd 2023 at 7:28 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Whats wrong with the SPID? I use it all the time.
The problem with the ID Card is that you need to buy a card reader. The SPID is for home use and the ID card is pushing folks back to the public offices and queues. A reliable card reader costs €50 and the SPID was free.

The SPID was not free on all platforms. The Poste gave you it if you already had an account with them - and it wasn't that easy to sign in and get one. Other people paid things like Aruba and you're wrong about the CIE. You don't need a card reader. All Italian Gov and public websites ask you on their home page ----- how would you like to proceed? With SPID or CIE ?? My son was given a new CIE when he turned 18. He's never had a SPID but he's used the CIE on school websites, the 18 app bonus and the regione Veneto car bollo website to get a reminder when his bollo is due and that's a pain too because they ask for the CIE number and then a PIN and then something else or a scan of the card itself or a scan of a QR code. That effing 18 app bonus is so complicated even the teens who live on their phones give up. I think it was deliberate so that they decide not to even try and convert any virtual cash into a buono/voucher.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The SPID was not free on all platforms. The Poste gave you it if you already had an account with them - and it wasn't that easy to sign in and get one. Other people paid things like Aruba and you're wrong about the CIE. You don't need a card reader. All Italian Gov and public websites ask you on their home page ----- how would you like to proceed? With SPID or CIE ?? My son was given a new CIE when he turned 18. He's never had a SPID but he's used the CIE on school websites, the 18 app bonus and the regione Veneto car bollo website to get a reminder when his bollo is due and that's a pain too because they ask for the CIE number and then a PIN and then something else or a scan of the card itself or a scan of a QR code. That effing 18 app bonus is so complicated even the teens who live on their phones give up. I think it was deliberate so that they decide not to even try and convert any virtual cash into a buono/voucher.
I'll give the ID card another go. I lost the pin and puk.

Last edited by philat98; Aug 3rd 2023 at 7:54 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by philat98
I'll give the ID card another go. I lost the pin and puk.
And that's another thing. My 55 year old Italian friend just got the new CIE. She's not exactly tech savvy but nobody in the Comune told her that the pin and puk arrive later by post and she'd better not lose them. Nobody told her why she needs them. Nobody told her that her CIE works like a SPID but only with that extra data. She thought she'd just got a bit of plastic instead of paper.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Cheers Lorna for the heads-up! Now I finally understand what the PIN and the PUK of my ID card are for.
Old Aug 5th 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by daniel_t
Cheers Lorna for the heads-up! Now I finally understand what the PIN and the PUK of my ID card are for.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

The CIE with my card just stopped working for no reason, so I ended up getting a free SPID with Poste (I don’t bank with them) - it’s much easier.