Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Non resident electricity bills

Non resident electricity bills

Old May 8th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non resident electricity bills

Signed up with Enel about 6 months ago for my flat and now they have sent me a letter saying that as I havent sent them proof of residency they assume it is a second home and will charge me for the pleasure.

The charges will go from 0.47 to 1.24 for whatever of whatevers of electricity.

Should I expect the gas (ENI) to also dive in with equally silly charges?

Anyone get around this? looks like I will have to start charging my phone at work.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:45 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non resident electricity bills

Originally Posted by turivano
Signed up with Enel about 6 months ago for my flat and now they have sent me a letter saying that as I havent sent them proof of residency they assume it is a second home and will charge me for the pleasure.

The charges will go from 0.47 to 1.24 for whatever of whatevers of electricity.

Should I expect the gas (ENI) to also dive in with equally silly charges?

Anyone get around this? looks like I will have to start charging my phone at work.
Proof of residency is only needed for electricity. It was in your contract when you signed up along with need to supply proof of residency. Non-residency charges do not apply to gas.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

aimankay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new and wondering if I have a property in UK and move to Milan on expat visa would I have to pay higher electricity/ gas bills?

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

I have a home in the UK but i took residency in Italy for things like this.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I think sometimes the advantages of resident tariffs versus non resident are exaggerated.

Current ENEL rates as at 1st July 2012 for a 3kw supply are as follows:

Resident:

Fixed Admin fee: €0.50 per month
Standing Charge: €1.4097 for 3kw supply (monthly)
Rates (Consumption):
Up to 1800 kw: €0.031615 per kw
1801kw to 2640 kw: €0.079095 per kw
2641kw to 4400 kw: €0.133835 per kw
Over 4440 kw: €0.172635 per kw

Non Resident:

Fixed Admin fee: €1.8577 per month
Standing Charge: €3.8097 for 3kw supply (monthly)
Rates (Consumption):
Up to 1800kw: €0.080685 per kw
1801kw to 2640 kw: €0.096385 per kw
2641 to 4400 kw: €0.133835 per kw
Over 4400 kw: €0.172635 per kw

So as a rough example for an "average" family in an "average" house consuming an "average" 4500 kws per year:

Residents pay €554 per year and non residents €701.

I guess a saving of €147 per year is not to be sniffed at but thats about as good as it gets. Going above a 3kw supply, resident and non resident rates are the same as is everything above a consumpion number of 2640kw.

Whether to seek residency or not (if possible) is a big question and in my mind there are lots of other factors to take into account.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to add IVA of 10% on numbers so saving is €162. Also going from a 3kw supply to say 6kw (regardless of residency) costs an extra €3.516 per month.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Oct 14th 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

i have been trying to make sence of our lecky bill for ages i asked italians and even got mad enough to ring enel what a waist of time , one q i had for them was were on the bill is it writen how many units we have used as we get masive bills somtimes 600 eros for 2 mounths so we are trying to cut down . also we seem to pay masive standing charges
total per servizi di vendita 96. 57
sevizi di rete 127 , 60
total inposte 20, 82
total enegia fornite ,,, 244 99
iva 24. 5
total 269 .49

i forgot to menshion we have 6.6 kw tariffa d3 could you please tell me how i find out how many units we have used this bill , and is it worth trying to swap suplyers . we need 6kws as we have a bb and i hack a bit a wood about for a hobby and 3 kw is not enugh . any help or sugestions would be apreaciated
Old Oct 20th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linseed, it looks like that you are on a commercial tariff on various phases (ie you are paying the standing charges more than once because of independent units) which makes sense since you say that you run a B&B.
For a one unit; domestic rates in English from 1 Oct this is the link:

http://www.enel.it/it-IT/clienti/ene...rarioa_d3.aspx

Sorry: translate does not come through but you can always go back and google translate.

"servizi di rete": is the cost of your units used.

Incidently, prices are virtually unchanged since 2009.

Over a two to three year period its rarely worth changing suppliers. Prices are determined on the forward markets and after that ...... I dreamed the winning lottery numbers...If only.
Its a bit like a certain airline who for years bought most of their jet fuel on the spot (current) market. When aviation fuel went from $75 to +$140 they were reputedly forced to start covering their liabilities as their prices had been set beforehand on projections of a much lower cost bill. Result, not as low cost as they once were three years down the road but everyone keeps flying with them.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Oct 20th 2012 at 9:27 pm.