No-deal Brexit

Old Aug 8th 2019, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No-deal Brexit

I might be wrong but I'm sure I distinctly remember reading in one of the rags here - possible the Telegraph - a while back that this had already been done and dusted and Italy had guaranteed citizens rights, as had we for theirs ( and indeed all other EU citizens)

A quick google search turned this up...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...no-brexit-deal

Couldn't say if there is any merit in it or not with all the endless political sniping and one-upmanship going on however....
Old Aug 9th 2019, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jake.White
I might be wrong but I'm sure I distinctly remember reading in one of the rags here - possible the Telegraph - a while back that this had already been done and dusted and Italy had guaranteed citizens rights, as had we for theirs ( and indeed all other EU citizens)

Couldn't say if there is any merit in it or not with all the endless political sniping and one-upmanship going on however....
Charlotte Oliver and Partners' newsletter of a few days ago was mostly about citizenship, not residence, but there may be something relevant to residence there. At least it suggests that whatever Salvini & Co might have said, things aren't all that clear, even now,

No-deal or new-deal - the effect on applications for Italian citizenship - Oliver & Partners

I also think - though I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me here - that there's still hope of avoiding the worst. I smell a bombshell in the offing - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit
Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Thanks for the update, on a personal note this is particularly frustrating for me: " On citizenship, it does put into law (irrespective of the form Brexit takes) the right of UK citizens with 4 years residence at the date of Brexit to be able to apply for Italian citizenship, relying on that 4 year period, up to 31 December 2020." - On October 31, I will have been resident in Italy for... 3 years, 50 weeks!
So you’ll need a deal then to get you over the line.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake.White

Already covered in posts #11 and 12.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I haven't got the reference to hand at the moment, but when BoJo became prime minister he said that EU citizens' rights would be respected. However he was/is not clear about further legislation to consolidate those rights; apparently the racist fanatics who populate his party think it would be a concession to anti-Brexiteers. Failure to provide better guarantees for EU citizens, with some being forced to leave, could lead to reprisals against British residents in Europe. You might say that the British government would be anxious to protect its citizens, but I wouldn't count on that - after all, we'll be seen as wop/frog/dago/kraut lovers deserving no sympathy. Luckily progress seems to have been made on this side in Italy, but it would be more reassuring to see EU citizens in the UK having better protection.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel
I haven't got the reference to hand at the moment, but when BoJo became prime minister he said that EU citizens' rights would be respected. However he was/is not clear about further legislation to consolidate those rights; apparently the racist fanatics who populate his party think it would be a concession to anti-Brexiteers. Failure to provide better guarantees for EU citizens, with some being forced to leave, could lead to reprisals against British residents in Europe. You might say that the British government would be anxious to protect its citizens, but I wouldn't count on that - after all, we'll be seen as wop/frog/dago/kraut lovers deserving no sympathy. Luckily progress seems to have been made on this side in Italy, but it would be more reassuring to see EU citizens in the UK having better protection.

You know nothing jonwel.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading that Meloni is looking forward to getting into the Italian government. She says that politically incorrect things need to be done. I was wondering what she meant.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by philat98
I was reading that Meloni is looking forward to getting into the Italian government. She says that politically incorrect things need to be done. I was wondering what she meant.
She wouldn’t be in government if the League win outright which looks increasingly likely.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel

No offence mate but I stopped reading your post at "racist fanatics". Why write such idiotic nonsense which is clearly untrue and blatantly inflammatory..?

And as for the rest of what you wrote - yes I did come back and read it all - I hope the moderator deletes it because you just come across as a complete moron.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

To me "idiotic", "moron" goes with 1-2 other posts on this thread which are more than just a little out of order - I guess I will have to put it down to some kind of brexit madness?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Put your tin hat on Jonwel and keep posting!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInParis

You know nothing jonwel.
I certainly know nothing about what you think. You're perfectly entitled to say what you think and why you disagree with me - which you haven't done by simply saying I know nothing. Why bother to reply at all?
You find my comments about the Tory Party offensive, or at least inaccurate. You may know that in a recent poll among its members 61% said they would accept a no-deal Brexit even if it meant a significant fall in their standard of living and the breakup of the UK (this position is not shared by the majority of Tory non-members). Considering that Brexit was originally presented as something that would make people better off, not worse off, this definitely smells of fanaticism - they see it as an (unspecified) high ideal for which to make sacrifices. And blaming "Brussels" for everything that's wrong in the EU (and plenty is wrong, I agree), without considering that EU policy is determined by its member states,, is a nationalistic attitude encuraging racism (and don't go quoting the number of foreign names among the Tory leadership as a proof of non-racism.
The fanatics are also talking about the restoration of the death penalty...

Jake White, what I said about opposition to further guarantees for EU citizens is true, regarding certain Tory MPs. Hopefully this will be resolved - I didn't say that was a definite position of BoJo and Co.
Forgive me for being a moron.

Last edited by jonwel; Aug 14th 2019 at 9:44 am.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

You are forgiven, but it might be worthwhile considering that playing the racism card and applying it to those you might disagree with is generally the last bastion of those who have no better argument and lack the brain capacity to dream up a more sound and convincing point.