Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New law on citizenship

New law on citizenship

Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law on citizenship

Originally Posted by ononno
If you are a British born citizen with right of abode, nobody can take it away from you except in extreme cases of a treasonable nature.
And most certainly no foreign government.
They can’t take it away but they can refuse to allow you to become a citizen of their country unless you give it up voluntarily.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They can’t take it away but they can refuse to allow you to become a citizen of their country unless you give it up voluntarily.
If I voluntarily give up my British citizenship to become an Italian citizen and then decide I made a mistake how easy is it to get back (assuming I was born in the UK)?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Its not his choice . it would have to the be UK govt that said you would have to give up British citizenship if you took Italian.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
If I voluntarily give up my British citizenship to become an Italian citizen and then decide I made a mistake how easy is it to get back (assuming I was born in the UK)?
Provisions do exist for you to do that. It’s also an entitlement rather than at discretion, which would be if you gave up your citizenship for any other reason. You can only do it once though and presumably you would lose your Italian citizenship.

Originally Posted by modicasa
Its not his choice . it would have to the be UK govt that said you would have to give up British citizenship if you took Italian.
You can choose to renounce your British citizenship providing it will not leave you stateless.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just logged onto the site and my pratica has been signed and confirmed - looks like I squeaked through before Salvini decided to change everything.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If Italy decides to not permit dual citizenship I don't see how that helps?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:42 am

If Italy decides to not permit dual citizenship I don't see how that helps?
Depends on exactly how the law is drafted and whether it would apply retroactively, if it even came to pass at all. Salvini suggesting something and it actually becoming law aren’t the same thing I would wager.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 8th 2018 at 12:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lets hope you are correct. Unfortunately according to opinion polls his support has greatly increased.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 12:13 pm

Lets hope you are correct. Unfortunately according to opinion polls his support has greatly increased.
I suspect the unforeseen consequences of trying to implement such a law would mean it was quietly dropped.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I imagine a lot this guff being proposed by Salvini will sound very familiar to any person who's tried to acquire citizenship in the UK in recent years - language tests, an utterly ludicrious "British history & culture" test and a ceremony involving pledging allegiance to the Queen. All done to appease certain voter bases and discourage people from bothering, as far as I can see.

Out of interest, if you were to apply for Italian citizenship after the (current) 5-year residence qualification period with everything in regola, do you have to remain resident in Italy during the time it takes to approve your application & issue the necessary documentation? Or could you leave Italy and still gain the citizenship?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 1:40 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I imagine a lot this guff being proposed by Salvini will sound very familiar to any person who's tried to acquire citizenship in the UK in recent years - language tests, an utterly ludicrious "British history & culture" test and a ceremony involving pledging allegiance to the Queen. All done to appease certain voter bases and discourage people from bothering, as far as I can see.

Out of interest, if you were to apply for Italian citizenship after the (current) 5-year residence qualification period with everything in regola, do you have to remain resident in Italy during the time it takes to approve your application & issue the necessary documentation? Or could you leave Italy and still gain the citizenship?
If you are applying on the basis of residency, you need to maintain residency in Italy until you take the oath. If applying via marriage, it doesn't matter where you are resident, but you have to transfer your application to the relevant consulate.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 2:55 pm

Or perhaps being able to speak the national language, knowing something about its history and culture and being loyal to its constitution is the bare minimum we should expect of anyone wishing to become a citizen of another country?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I can take your point about the language but if you look at the British citizenship test it is utterly ludicrous and contains a lot of stuff which is completely irrelevant to anyone's life and which the vast majority of people born and raised in the UK would be unable to answer.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:48 pm

I can take your point about the language but if you look at the British citizenship test it is utterly ludicrous and contains a lot of stuff which is completely irrelevant to anyone's life and which the vast majority of people born and raised in the UK would be unable to answer.
Quite possibly but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t know it. You have no choice about which nationality you are born into, you don’t have to take an interest if you don’t want to, but you do if you choose to naturalise and so you should.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Taking an interest is fine but the content of the UK citizenship test handbook seems a very arbitrary basis for granting citizenship. Even if you agree with the principle of having a test, the UK one is bizarre way of going about it as it seems highly unlikely to teach anyone anything vaguely useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.