Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New law on citizenship

New law on citizenship

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default New law on citizenship

Looks like the Lega is planning a new law to complicate the citizenship process. Not only for immigrants but also for the ius soli applicants. Under the new scheme anyone wanting citizenship will have to take a test in Italian, plus history, tradition and culture as well as institutions and local traditions and history for the area the applicant will live.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 4:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law on citizenship

Originally Posted by modicasa
Looks like the Lega is planning a new law to complicate the citizenship process. Not only for immigrants but also for the ius soli applicants. Under the new scheme anyone wanting citizenship will have to take a test in Italian, plus history, tradition and culture as well as institutions and local traditions and history for the area the applicant will live.
I just thought the times had moved up from 2 years (which were always longer anyway) to a minimum of 4 years.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the processing time Lorna? It was meant tobe 18 months, there's legislation somewhere that says you it must be 18 months from start to finish - Im at 3 and half years and counting, even though its all been approved.

What gets me is the local traditions. So I would have to learn Sicilian and make cannoli if Im down here, and then presumably have to do the test again for polenta and bastardised French if I go to Bergamo.!
Old Oct 4th 2018, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If they expect you to pass an exam in Italian language they have to set up some courses like they do in Spain. If they expect imigrants to converse fluently in the local dialect then not many people will be getting citizenship.
I suspect that the last three tax returns will remain the most important thing.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Do you mean the processing time Lorna?
Yes I did. I didn't realise all the other stuff was being proposed.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone provide a link to the proposal please?
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Salvini has already introduced a few changes to the application including an increase in cost and a change to processing duration.

Proposed stiffer test for citizenship (not in law). Salvini is saying he wants immigrants to give up their existing passport. Not so good because the UK does not guarantee to give back citizenship.
https://www.cittadinanza.biz/cittadi...ini-lega-nord/

New changes to the law were made yesterday These changes apply to applications already in the queue. They might ask for another Euro50 and then reject my application
https://www.cittadinanza.biz/pubblic...-cittadinanza/

Last edited by philat98; Oct 5th 2018 at 8:04 am.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

He's running very close to breaking European law on EU nationals.
Interesting - they had already broken the 730 day rule with me before Salvini decided it was 4 years - perhaps it time to pay a visit to my lawyer!
Old Oct 5th 2018, 9:15 am

Do you think they will ask an extra €50 from all the people who have already sent in their application and supporting documents? They'll make hundreds of thousands of Euro.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Do you think they will ask an extra €50 from all the people who have already sent in their application and supporting documents? They'll make hundreds of thousands of Euro.
They will debate it for six to eight months, while freezing all applications in the interim.

Then some consulates will decide to do it and others won't, and there won't be any rhyme, reason or pattern to who gets asked for another 50 Euro and who doesn't.

Plus, of course, in practise the 730 day rule was just a guideline . . . as will be the new 48-month rule.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help asking, why bother? I've now managed 55 years just being a British Citizen.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Can't help asking, why bother? I've now managed 55 years just being a British Citizen.
Brexit.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I pay taxes here, live here and contribute to society - but I cant vote unless I am a citizen. That irks me. I cant take any incarico from the state or represent the state in any way unless I am a citizen. I can no longer vote in the country of my nationality because I havent lived there for a long time, so Im effectively stateless, but hwith two passports I will feel more like Jason Bourne and be able to avoid queues at the airports after Brexit.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Salvini is proposing that to become an Italian citizen you will have to give up your existing citizenship. That is quite a risk to take.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Salvini is proposing that to become an Italian citizen you will have to give up your existing citizenship. That is quite a risk to take.
If you are a British born citizen with right of abode, nobody can take it away from you except in extreme cases of a treasonable nature.
And most certainly no foreign government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.