Just Joined

jc175 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Welcome to the forum Julian.
Thank you, Lorna. :-)
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

PBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nice

Hi Julian,

Sorry for *my* late reply. I always seem to forget to check my junk mail folder, and that's where notifications from this site end up, (something else I mean to change..woops!)
Anyways, thanks for contacting me. I'd definitely love to get together and meet up. I'm not sure what your schedule is like, but I'm meeting some friends tonight if you're interested.
If you are, feel free to message me and we can figure something out.

Ciao!

Paul

Originally Posted by jc175
Hi Paul, I was browsing the net for other reasons and I stumbled upon this site and your request :-)
I do reply somewhat late, but I hope you read this nevertheless.
I don't know if am an expat, actually: my family was from Trieste and moved to England in the 20s, so I grew up there. I came to TS in 1999, quite a long time ago. I'd be delighted to meet and have a chat over a pint of lager (no ale to be found here, alas!) also to prevent further deterioration of my english, already in bad shape after 10 years of using it only very helter-skelter...
ALl the best
Julian

Last edited by PBEnglish; Feb 12th 2011 at 8:18 am. Reason: I didn't realize personal emails weren't allowed to be published. Sorry admins.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:48 am
Just Joined

dpaws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

Hi Paul / everyone

I've been based in Trieste for nearly four years now - I'm afraid my grasp of the language is somewhat pathetic but my waistline has certainly adapted to the local cuisine

My social breakthrough has come from the coffee bar next to the apartment, by taking morning coffee and brioche I've become a familiar face, although I seem to teach others English rather than learning their Triestino! The local Brasilian bar helped - I suppose all immigrants together!

Everyone here has studied English at school for a minimum of five years so all have a basic knowledge. However, they were taught in a very strict environment where correct verb conjugation was everything - hence most are very timid to speak for fear of being wrong. However, several glasses of wine later you'll be surprised... however I then also seem to be more fluent ... I dread to think!

The city centre is wonderfully compact and most places can be reached on foot. Operating a car is a nightmare as there's nowhere to park - I've managed well using only the local buses and a bicycle, supplemented by taxi rides for supermarket runs etc. Muggia is well worth a visit, possible by a ferry across the bay - think of sunbathing cats and you'll grasp the atmosphere. Some very nice fish restaurants here too but they're pricey.

Due to the Austrian and German heritage the local cuisine maybe isn't what you'd expect. There's lots of salami, sauerkraut and various pieces of pork... the lasagne ragu is baked with lots of mozzarella and pieces of sliced ham... There are some wonderful pasta restaurants around though... Don't even bother with pesto until you've been to Genova... For Italian cooking I can highly recommend www.italianfoodnet.com - I've even had the locals compliment some of their dishes!

For coffee try Illy - it really is fantastic. A "cap-win-b" is a small cappuccino served in a glass, a good starting point. BTW all cappuccini are small here unless you specifically ask for a big one. The idea is that the climate is too hot to drink a large hot drink without breaking into a sweaty flush - hence the stronger coffee who's flavour then lingers in the mouth.

For shopping try to use the small local shops as the product is so fresh and tasty. I'm happy to spend a few extra cents just to support their business so we don't lose them all like we have in the UK.

Sorry, I do go on.... No PM's I'm afraid as this is my first post

Buona giornata - have a nice day!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:42 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

In Trieste cap-in-b is not a small capuccino, but what the rest of Italy call a cafe macchiato caldo. A cappuccino is a caffelatte. What the rest of Italy consider a caffelatte is called a latte macchiato in Trieste.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
In Trieste cap-in-b is not a small capuccino, but what the rest of Italy call a cafe macchiato caldo. A cappuccino is a caffelatte. What the rest of Italy consider a caffelatte is called a latte macchiato in Trieste.
Oh dear, I beg to differ - it did make me smile though, the culture must be catching! Italians will happily debate the technicalities of coffee all day!

I used the name cap-win-b as the local pronunciation appears to be like that. By definition it has to be a cappuccino as that's what the "cap" part is an abbreviation for. The "b" is for bicchiere, a glass. So literally, a cappuccino served in a glass.

A "macchiato" is an espresso with a drop of milk - literally "stained". This is prepared in a small espresso cup, first a regular espresso and after a teaspoon of milk froth is spooned onto the top. In contrast, the "cap-win-b" is more milky containing both milk and froth that's poured from the heated milk jug.

Having watched thousands being prepared I can assure you that exactly the same quantities of coffee and milk/froth are used in both the "cap-win-b" and a regular (small in Trieste) cappuccino.

The caffe latte is quite different. Locally served in a glass coffee cup, it is prepared by filling the cup with hot milk including a "head" of froth and then a cold espresso is poured onto it, sinking to the bottom. In proportion the components are used the same as for a large cappuccino, the only difference a cold espresso is used, not a hot one.

A most enjoyable hour has been spent confirming the technicalities whilst supping chilled white wine in the bar. Each was demonstrated and then consumed The owner has completed the Illy University courses (or at least has the Certificates!) and so can be trusted as a reliable technical source.

Either way, I'm sure what we can agree is that Italian coffee is wonderful in any guise!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:04 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Trieste for several years. Loved the place, but it was too far from hubbies aging family and we also need to think about our sons' prospects.

Cap in B. Cap as in cappuccio -hood to you and me- , in B, because it's in a glass of course. It does have the same proportions as a cappuccino, but you can also order a Cap in B tanto or poco for the amount of froth. Espresso (nero) can also be served as a Nero in B. Got the lesson from the horse's mouth -Illy. So take it up with him. As for it being too hot to drink a large one, more of an urban legend. It's hot in everywhere in Italy. My lot drink very strong coffee, but they prefer Lavazza Oro. Used to give Illy's away (kept the cups though) or post it too my mum, who got hooked on it. I can't stand coffee. Didn't mean to contradict your post, just add another interpretation.

Loved living in Trieste, but the 'we're the best, the most, the prettiest (never did see the famous -in Trieste- mule triestine) etc attitude drove me mad. Not as much as 'non se pol' or the 'semo al mare' on shop doors just because it was a nice afternoon though. Spent many an evening at Schieriani's over looking the Muggia and the golf - never, ever call it a port. Now I'm getting nostalgic.

One more post and you can p.m. And now I'm off to 'phone friends for a visit and a bite to eat at Beppe S'ciavo's (cos Schieriani's isn't open yet) and a glass of wine in Piazza grande followed by TEA.

Last edited by 37100; Apr 4th 2011 at 4:54 pm. Reason: spelling is optional.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
One more post and you can p.m. And now I'm off to 'phone friends for a visit and a bite to eat at Beppe S'ciavo's (cos Schieriani's isn't open yet) and a glass of wine in Piazza grande followed by TEA.
You're right! Buon appetito!! ;o)
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Paola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul.
My name is Paola..
Are you still in Trieste?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Hey - welcome Paola!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Paola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. good to know there is someone around in this post!
I came back home after a period spent away and I feel as ..an expat as well!!! LOL
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Awww it's strange, I never feel truly at home in the UK, it's only when the train pulls into Trieste there's that feeling of home - strange - must be the coffee!!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:53 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a Starbucks in Trieste?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Really no... only proper coffee
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:10 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

What you mean a caffè mocha with a Cadbury's Flake inside, topped with fresh whipped cream?? That's proper pukka!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Mercan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I came accross this forum while looking for foreigners living in Trieste. Is anybody still around?

I'm a female scientist from Turkey, working as a post-doctoral researcher in Area di Ricerca. I came here two years ago. Although I've made some fairly good friends here, I'm far from being satisfied about my social life. The people I have been hanging out with are either much younger than me (hence have a different understanding of what's fun), or can not (or simply don't want to) speak fluent English (which quickly becomes exhausting, since my Italian is even worse), or all settled down and have toddler kids who require constant attention (there you have the conflicting schedules unless you are ok with having the screaming kids running around you the whole time).

So, I have been dying to meet people more like myself and have at least occasional fulfilling conversations and quality time with them. I'm really very tired of trying to go out and have some nice time and end up feeling like I keep hitting a wall. I am a very self-sufficient, independent person, but of course I want to have a healthier social life. I hope this place helps.

Greetings,

Mercan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.