Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

PBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nice
Default New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

Hello all,

My name is Paul. I was born in England, (near Manchester), raised in Canada, and after spending a few years bopping around the world teaching ESL, I now live in Trieste.
For the most part, I enjoy living here. I have a good job, which makes all the difference in regards to enjoying life, and Trieste is a beautiful city.
However, I am struggling with meeting new people. I'm trying to learn Italian, but it's a slow haul, so meeting people from Trieste is difficult. Meeting expats is also difficult, hence me turning here.
So I'm wondering if there are any expats, (or Italians for that matter) who are interested in meeting up? Or failing that, if anyone knows of any Expat groups in the Trieste area. Basically anything that will assist me in meeting new people.

Thanks to everyone for reading this.

Ciao!

Paul
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:16 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this forum, and looking for expats in Trieste

Hi Paul! Welcome to the Italy forum! I'm not sure if we have anyone in that area - I know those from the Veneto visit but I can't remember anyone being resident there - hopefully someone will prove me wrong!!

Any problems with the site just give me or one of our Mods, Lorna and Mitzyboy a shout! Otherwise join us in Al Fresco where the topic isn't just Italy!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by PBEnglish
Hello all,

My name is Paul. I was born in England, (near Manchester), raised in Canada, and after spending a few years bopping around the world teaching ESL, I now live in Trieste.
For the most part, I enjoy living here. I have a good job, which makes all the difference in regards to enjoying life, and Trieste is a beautiful city.
However, I am struggling with meeting new people. I'm trying to learn Italian, but it's a slow haul, so meeting people from Trieste is difficult. Meeting expats is also difficult, hence me turning here.
So I'm wondering if there are any expats, (or Italians for that matter) who are interested in meeting up? Or failing that, if anyone knows of any Expat groups in the Trieste area. Basically anything that will assist me in meeting new people.

Thanks to everyone for reading this.

Ciao!

Paul
Ah - I've just replied to your Welcome Inn post and I see you've already beaten me to the Italy forum! Whereabouts near Manchester are you from? I'm from Southport!

I'm in Latina and I'm also finding it a bit difficult making friends due to the language barrier - my colleagues are lovely but they've been living here a lot longer than me so they don't think about doing things at the weekend. They also live in the next town along so I don't see them anyway! I was going to start a new thread seeing if anyone knew about ex-pat groups near me but as you've started a similar thread, I though I'd be cheeky and hijack yours instead!

To be honest, I just want to find something to do in Latina or somewhere where I can travel to (I have no car so I'm dependant on public transport) that will break up the week - I've spent all weekend either wandering round H&M or sat in my flat doing nowt. The week is a write-off - literally work/sleep/work/sleep... but I'd really like to find a hobby to do in my free time over here that will allow me to meet people and maybe even learn a bit of Italian. Dancing/knitting/crafts/book club/film club, anything really... can anyone help either for Trieste or Latina???

Last edited by internationalbefky; Nov 14th 2010 at 3:58 pm. Reason: additional thoughts
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome. I'm jealous! Lived in Trieste for 5yrs and we had a whale of a time, but I had the advantage of kids and socializing came with hubby's job and even though I usually didn't go, it did open doors for us. I was only thinking yesterday that I could do with a trip there. We only left because of the total lack of prospects for youngster there. It is a very closed community in Ts and is very different from other parts of Italy. Most Italians don't even seem to know where it is. And locals would talk about going to Italy when they referred to anywhere east of Monfalcone! You're best bet would be to take up sailing. Every body seemed to do it and even bus drivers owned a boat -but lived in rented accommodation. Oh, I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about the place. There are expats in Ts. I hope you find them.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:00 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

With them being such different areas you'd be better starting a new one tbh - we don't mind!!! just that you'll get a better, more localised response. Are either of you on Fb - there are loads of searchable organisations on there including expat area specific groups that would be of interest I'm sure! Start by joining BExpats on there!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
With them being such different areas you'd be better starting a new one tbh - we don't mind!!! just that you'll get a better, more localised response. Are either of you on Fb - there are loads of searchable organisations on there including expat area specific groups that would be of interest I'm sure! Start by joining BExpats on there!
Ahh oops ok - sorry I didn't want to duplicate such a similar thread, but if that's ok then...
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:15 pm
The Original Red Head!

It's what the forum is for - to help people connect, so no, something as fundamental as finding others in your area is of course okay! You being in Latina and Paul in Trieste isn't a duplicate as they are so far apart. If you want to hitch onto a Rome thread as well that's also fine!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:41 am
Just Joined

PBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nicePBEnglish is just really nice

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Hi Paul! Welcome to the Italy forum! I'm not sure if we have anyone in that area - I know those from the Veneto visit but I can't remember anyone being resident there - hopefully someone will prove me wrong!!

Any problems with the site just give me or one of our Mods, Lorna and Mitzyboy a shout! Otherwise join us in Al Fresco where the topic isn't just Italy!!
Thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated! :-)

PB
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
Welcome. I'm jealous! Lived in Trieste for 5yrs and we had a whale of a time, but I had the advantage of kids and socializing came with hubby's job and even though I usually didn't go, it did open doors for us. I was only thinking yesterday that I could do with a trip there. We only left because of the total lack of prospects for youngster there. It is a very closed community in Ts and is very different from other parts of Italy. Most Italians don't even seem to know where it is. And locals would talk about going to Italy when they referred to anywhere east of Monfalcone! You're best bet would be to take up sailing. Every body seemed to do it and even bus drivers owned a boat -but lived in rented accommodation. Oh, I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about the place. There are expats in Ts. I hope you find them.
Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

I agree with you about Trieste. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy living here, but it's difficult in asking people what to do/see/experience. My coworkers seem to think that anything beyond say...Venice...is not worth exploring, so it's difficult in trying to get some ideas of what's what around here.
Again, the T's are a closed off people...given the history of this area, it's understandable, but it makes things difficult for an inquisitive person like myself.
Good idea on the boat thing...I might have to give that a shot...once the winter and the bora is long gone though!

Ciao!

Paul
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Well, a reply is always welcomed, regardless of what forum it's in :-) So thank you :-)

I was born in Oldham. The land of test tube babies, (first test tube baby was born at Oldham General), mills and race riots....so I generally just say I'm from Manchester.. :-)

Nice to meet someone else from "the area" though!

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. My coworkers are brilliant people, and very helpful, but they are much older than me, married with children, (some of their children are older than me), and have been here for decades. Trying to get them to do anything is just not on.
My week consists of work, home, work. And seeing as I'm a teacher, and I work with 7 and 8 year old children, I am craving conversations that aren't based around "Chip, Biff and Kipper", (the characters from their storybooks).
I'm reliant on public transport too, (I miss my car!), so it's difficult trying to get out of Trieste to some of the less traveled spots.
Feel free to hijack this thread...maybe someone can point us in a direction to some expat groups, or someway of starting one. It would be great to get something like that going.

Paul

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
Ah - I've just replied to your Welcome Inn post and I see you've already beaten me to the Italy forum! Whereabouts near Manchester are you from? I'm from Southport!

I'm in Latina and I'm also finding it a bit difficult making friends due to the language barrier - my colleagues are lovely but they've been living here a lot longer than me so they don't think about doing things at the weekend. They also live in the next town along so I don't see them anyway! I was going to start a new thread seeing if anyone knew about ex-pat groups near me but as you've started a similar thread, I though I'd be cheeky and hijack yours instead!

To be honest, I just want to find something to do in Latina or somewhere where I can travel to (I have no car so I'm dependant on public transport) that will break up the week - I've spent all weekend either wandering round H&M or sat in my flat doing nowt. The week is a write-off - literally work/sleep/work/sleep... but I'd really like to find a hobby to do in my free time over here that will allow me to meet people and maybe even learn a bit of Italian. Dancing/knitting/crafts/book club/film club, anything really... can anyone help either for Trieste or Latina???
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao ragazzi, I do feel sorry for you in these situations, but you must put a bit more effort into breaking out. From Latina you can easily get to the Gardens of Ninfa; Sperlonga, Gaeta, Naples even; even with just public transport. Make a really concerted effort to break the language barrier; get out and about, move. In Trieste you have a fantastic opportunity to meet living history. Get across the border to Capodistria (Koper) and places like that. Visit the foibe, the Risaia, go and have a look at the Grottoes of Postojna. Really get to know the place you have chosen to live.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Good luck PBEnglish and welcome, I hope you find your feet in Trieste. It sounds very nice from 37100 description.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PBEnglish
Well, a reply is always welcomed, regardless of what forum it's in :-) So thank you :-)

I was born in Oldham. The land of test tube babies, (first test tube baby was born at Oldham General), mills and race riots....so I generally just say I'm from Manchester.. :-)

Nice to meet someone else from "the area" though!

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. My coworkers are brilliant people, and very helpful, but they are much older than me, married with children, (some of their children are older than me), and have been here for decades. Trying to get them to do anything is just not on.
My week consists of work, home, work. And seeing as I'm a teacher, and I work with 7 and 8 year old children, I am craving conversations that aren't based around "Chip, Biff and Kipper", (the characters from their storybooks).
I'm reliant on public transport too, (I miss my car!), so it's difficult trying to get out of Trieste to some of the less traveled spots.
Feel free to hijack this thread...maybe someone can point us in a direction to some expat groups, or someway of starting one. It would be great to get something like that going.

Paul
Lol yeah I remember the race riots in Oldham, scary stuff... and it's good to know that there are others who are in similar situatiosn to me, even if you are in a completely different part of the country (I googled Trieste!)...so if you need a sympathetic ear then let me know!
I agree with what Ononno says, we really just have to make an effort to get off our a*ses and explore the local area... up until this week I've been so tired by Friday that Saturdays have been all about the lie-in, but I've actually got on top of my planning this week so hopefully I'll have a bit more energy on Saturday and I'll be able to get up earlier and head into Rome! Must make a list of local places to visit though, so I can at least check them off as I go.

Good luck in Trieste PB, keep us informed!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:59 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Paul does get off his backside weekends, but to go where? Without a car it's difficult. Once he's done the Risaia di San Saba (that will take 2hrs tops), Miramare, San Giusto, Grotto Gigante and Opicina for the tram ride, that's it. You can't even ride a bike/scooter with the Bora. Slovenia/Croazia you also need transport. It's nearing xmas so at least there will be some people around at the weekend, but during the week even the bars shut at 7p.m. Summer is better, but from April until October everyone is at the beach, except there isn't much beach, it's mostly concrete slabs. That's life in Trieste. At least it was when we were there.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

Hi Paul
What about contacting the Universities - Do they not have noticeboards where you could even advertise English lessons(students always looking to improve their English) or look for other similar aged foreigners in the same position or even in one of the central libraries. Failing that depending on your interests - there must be clubs (ie. ski clubs, cycling clubs etc..) I live in Friuli if ever you fancy a visit - it's difficult for everyone initially regardless of age. Auguri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.