Reload this Page >

New...and confused!

New...and confused!

Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Pina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New...and confused!

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum although have been keeping track of other posts for some time. I am one month away from moving to Italy to live in Jesi, Ancona in the Le Marche region. My fiance is Italian and we have just bought a beautiful apartment in the centro storico! My fiance works away and we are just waiting for his return to move into our little love nest! I am very excited as it has been a long time waiting!

I am also more than a little bit confused! I have read various forums, government websites and anything else I can get my hands on and I am still unsure of what I need to be doing! My confusion relates to - you guessed it - residency and healthcare!! This is my situation: I am UK citizen, my fiance is Italian citizen, I will not be working in italy and therefore as I understand it will not be eligible for healthcare. Will my fiance be able to register as my provider? Will he need to provide anything to prove his finances? and will I definitely need to get health insurance if he is an italian citizen and I am his 'dependant'?

I have read so many conflicting pieces of information that I am more muddled than when I started! Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to read about anyone in my exact situation!

Thank you in advance
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:47 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New...and confused!

Originally Posted by Pina
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum although have been keeping track of other posts for some time. I am one month away from moving to Italy to live in Jesi, Ancona in the Le Marche region. My fiance is Italian and we have just bought a beautiful apartment in the centro storico! My fiance works away and we are just waiting for his return to move into our little love nest! I am very excited as it has been a long time waiting!

I am also more than a little bit confused! I have read various forums, government websites and anything else I can get my hands on and I am still unsure of what I need to be doing! My confusion relates to - you guessed it - residency and healthcare!! This is my situation: I am UK citizen, my fiance is Italian citizen, I will not be working in italy and therefore as I understand it will not be eligible for healthcare. Will my fiance be able to register as my provider? Will he need to provide anything to prove his finances? and will I definitely need to get health insurance if he is an italian citizen and I am his 'dependant'?

I have read so many conflicting pieces of information that I am more muddled than when I started! Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to read about anyone in my exact situation!

Thank you in advance

Hi Pina and welcome.

You are right to be confused but before you do anything - check to see if you are entitled to a British E106.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...broad.aspx#q04

I don't think you can become your boyfriend's dependant as you are not legally married. Fiancès and living together means virtuslly nothing here from a legal standpoint.

Ask any questions and we'll try and help but if you can get an E106 that will solve your health stuff for a while.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Hi Lorna and thanks for your reply.

I have just called re the E106 and I do not qualify as I have been temping for a few years due to my OH's job and needing to take a lot of holidays to go and see him, so that makes the Private Healthcare a definite for the list!

Will I need to show that I can support myself? I was under the impression that you dont need to be married and that he could just sign something to say that I am his dependant? I hope I am not wrong on this!! If I am - what are my options? If we got married sooner than planned would that magically sort everything out?

Sorry to bombard with more questions! It is very difficult with him working away - he is an officer on a cruise ship and so has no real access to outside world information - so all the finding out has been left to me! I must say I am not doing a great job so far!

Thanks again!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lorna and thanks for your reply.

I have just called re the E106 and I do not qualify as I have been temping for a few years due to my OH's job and needing to take a lot of holidays to go and see him, so that makes the Private Healthcare a definite for the list!

Will I need to show that I can support myself? I was under the impression that you dont need to be married and that he could just sign something to say that I am his dependant? I hope I am not wrong on this!! If I am - what are my options? If we got married sooner than planned would that magically sort everything out?

Sorry to bombard with more questions! It is very difficult with him working away - he is an officer on a cruise ship and so has no real access to outside world information - so all the finding out has been left to me! I must say I am not doing a great job so far!

Thanks again!
Hi,

I think what you should do is go together to the Comune (town hall) when you get here and tell them you are there to register as a "coppia di fatto."
This is kind of a 'common law - not married couple' registration but without any legal standing in case of illness, death, organ donation, pensions etc. It does mean though that you are both registered on the one single registry form in the town hall as both living together as a couple at the same address. This and maybe a statement (if needed) from your boyfriend to say that he is supporting you might be enough for the Comune but probably not for the health care system. If you have any bank accounts or anything in a joint name - you could always take some photocopies along of your last bank statements to prove that you have money in your own name.
Every bit of paper in Italy could be helpful - the great pain is that often you never know which paper for which office or which brain dead person might be on duty that day.
Soemtimes what a person tells you today - is not what another person tells you the next day. That's what makes the whole damn thing confusing .... that and the fact that some regions have added their own bits of rules to the standard ones and make things different again.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help Lorna, I think you are right and it is almost impossible to try and understand what I need to do before I actually get there and find out for myself! I think I have been reading too many different experiences and now my brain just cant process everything!

I think my fiance will have a much better understanding being Italian himself and understanding what a farce everything can be! I will just concentrate on the important things for now - how I am going to get all my clothes to Italy whilst flying on Ryanair!! Now that will be tricky!

Thanks again for your time - I will post some more when I have landed and found my feet

p.s. are you the same Lorna as the one over on expat********?

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Sep 24th 2009 at 2:50 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:48 pm

Thank you for your help Lorna, I think you are right and it is almost impossible to try and understand what I need to do before I actually get there and find out for myself! I think I have been reading too many different experiences and now my brain just cant process everything!

I think my fiance will have a much better understanding being Italian himself and understanding what a farce everything can be! I will just concentrate on the important things for now - how I am going to get all my clothes to Italy whilst flying on Ryanair!! Now that will be tricky!

Thanks again for your time - I will post some more when I have landed and found my feet

p.s. are you the same Lorna as the one over on expats********?
Just don't let anybody in any office try and tell you that you need a Permesso Di Soggiorno. You don't !

Good luck with Ryan Air - bring some warm stuff. It can get very cold in winter so put boots in your case and not flip flops.

Yes - it's me over there but I don't like it much and don't often say much on there. This place is so much friendlier and there is room here for a chat and a giggle and sometimes a rant and a rave. The other place gets far too heavy sometimes and none of them really seem to have a laugh - - - -

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Sep 24th 2009 at 2:51 pm. Reason: removed name
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:38 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;7961430]Just don't let anybody in any office try and tell you that you need a Permesso Di Soggiorno. You don't !

The bane of Lorna's life.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Gordoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pina

I have been in Marche Region for 2 months now, Porto Sant'Elpidio and have recieved my residency and in the process of arranging healthcare.

My finacee is Italian and she was invulable in helping 'grease' the wheels of the town hall etc to make the necessary arrangements.

For the residency permit I need to have personal healthcare so took out a Policy with one of the international organistions. Though the whole process has been long-winded and slow, it did work and is very achievable.

What I mean to say is, dont worry, everything happens in Italy (slowly and sometimes painfully) but the end result is a good life with good people.

And yes, winter gets cold, but the summers are consistenly VERY hot :-)

Best wishes
Chris
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Chris. It is just reassuring to hear from people that have been there and done it!

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of price did you pay for your healthcare cover? and what company did you use (if you are allowed to tell me)? I have heard that the italian post office is quite reasonable for healthcare.

Thanks

Pina.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

I've just been to our comune (S Vito in Puglia) to ask what documents we need to get my (English) husband residency here in Italy, the reply was:

1) ID document (passport)
2) Codice fiscale
3) Libretto sanitario
4) proof of income

I pointed out to the woman there that he can't get the libretto sanitario till he gets the residency, she said that the new European health card (showed her my English NHS card she said it is fine) is acceptable instead of libretto sanitario. We will go back possibly tomorrow to start his residency application