Reload this Page >

Moving to Como with kids

Moving to Como with kids

Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Sedmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Como with kids

Originally Posted by Frankie78
Hi, I have only just signed up to this site, but have been living in como well cadorago ( tiny place) since november. My husband is Italian and has a company over here, we used to live in Brighton Uk where he would spend long weekends with us and work days in Italy. We have 2 children a 3 year old and a 22 month old so, after a long chat decided it was best for the family to all come to como.
My Italian is passable, i understand much better than i speak it. But am struggling to make friends so you cqan imagine i am feeling a little lonely and homesick!.
So would love to know if any of you have met up? and if so can i???

thanks frankie
Hi Frankie,

I have not met with anybody so far. You have boys or girls? Your older kid seems to be the same age as mine I have two girls, but the younger is only 6 months old. I would really like to meet with you and with the children, we can meet in Como, it is very close to us. I will try to send you an email so we can communicate more easily.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Snow-drop is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao Frankie (and all),

I have also posted this reply on the other 'Como' thread - anyway:

I also have a 22 month old. I am also from the UK and moved here a week ago - I am not home sick (yet!) but I am already missing my family and friends and would love to meet up and chat about our new Italian lives!

I think there is 4 of us here in or just outside Como who would like to meet up (please correct me if I am wrong or have missed someone!!):
Frankie,
Snow-drop
Sedmi
Sahnetorte

I will send you some PMs with my email address, then if you reply with your email addresses I will send round a group email and we can organise a quick get together!

(And also Shamrock once she is back!)

Please let me know if there is anyone else around and we could arrange something.

Hope we can meet up soon before we all get too homesick!

xxxx
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

MissSP is on a distinguished road

Hi Ladies

Just seen your post as I haven't been on the site for some time and had given up hope of meeting anybody!! I've been in Como for almost 3 years now and have a 12 month old boy. I have a few friends round and about (some English, some Italian) but would be lovely to meet up and do things together with the kids.

I am originally from Sheffield although before leaving the UK I had been living in Olney (near Milton Keynes) for 12 years. My partner is Italian and I moved over here to be with him.

Would be lovely to get in touch, so drop me a line and we can hopefully meet up. I live in Como (above the big Esselunga supermarket) so it's a good excuse to pop in if you have some shopping to do!!!

Sarah
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Sahnetorte is an unknown quantity at this point

hey sarah,

I am living also in Como, so if you want we can do some shopping together. I study italian since november.

so if you want, we can have a walk through Como.

ciao
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:14 am
Just Joined

milania is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I'll be moving to Milan this summer with my nearly 2 year old daughter. We are thinking of living in Como and my husband commuting to Milan. Is that doable? I adore the area and I'm so happy to see that there are other mums living here. I have had dark images of being Billie no Mates for the next four years
Is it easy to find a school, english speaking doctor etc in Como. I'm going to start Italian lessons next month but I probably won't be great by the summer.
Thank you
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by milania
Hello

I'll be moving to Milan this summer with my nearly 2 year old daughter. We are thinking of living in Como and my husband commuting to Milan. Is that doable? I adore the area and I'm so happy to see that there are other mums living here. I have had dark images of being Billie no Mates for the next four years
Is it easy to find a school, english speaking doctor etc in Como. I'm going to start Italian lessons next month but I probably won't be great by the summer.
Thank you
traffic is terrible!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Snow-drop is an unknown quantity at this point

The traffic is not great during rush hour, but there is the train which only takes 40 mins.

Como is lovely and is close enough to Milan for airports and the big city, but without actually having to live there! It's also really close to Switzerland which has added benefits. Como is absolutely stunning and I am loving living here. Will you be visiting before you make the move?

Where are you at the moment?

Let us know when you are here.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Frankie78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snow-drop
Ciao Frankie (and all),

I have also posted this reply on the other 'Como' thread - anyway:

I also have a 22 month old. I am also from the UK and moved here a week ago - I am not home sick (yet!) but I am already missing my family and friends and would love to meet up and chat about our new Italian lives!

I think there is 4 of us here in or just outside Como who would like to meet up (please correct me if I am wrong or have missed someone!!):
Frankie,
Snow-drop
Sedmi
Sahnetorte

I will send you some PMs with my email address, then if you reply with your email addresses I will send round a group email and we can organise a quick get together!

(And also Shamrock once she is back!)

Please let me know if there is anyone else around and we could arrange something.

Hope we can meet up soon before we all get too homesick!

xxxx
Hi all, Sorry not been in touch for ages, my laptop was playing up (along with the kids!). Would still love to meet up! xx
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

MissSP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by milania
Hello

Thank you
Hi, commuting to Milan is definitely doable but depends how much time your husband wants to spend in the car or on the train. Depending on where he is working depends on the journey. I would say average drive time in rush hour is 1.5 hours but at 10:00am for example it's more like 45 minutes. If he's close to the centre the train is the best bet as it's 30 minutes or so from the main train station.

On another note, be warned, this area is not easy and if you do want a more "cosmopolitan" lifestyle, I would recommend Milan. There is a much more open-minded attitude and many more services for expats ie. english-speaking doctors, international schools etc (although there is an international school in Como and a Montessori). Get in touch if you need more info but you're doing the right thing by learning Italian. It's a must here whereas in other parts of Italy there might be a few more people who speak English.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

milania is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissSP
Hi, commuting to Milan is definitely doable but depends how much time your husband wants to spend in the car or on the train. Depending on where he is working depends on the journey. I would say average drive time in rush hour is 1.5 hours but at 10:00am for example it's more like 45 minutes. If he's close to the centre the train is the best bet as it's 30 minutes or so from the main train station.

On another note, be warned, this area is not easy and if you do want a more "cosmopolitan" lifestyle, I would recommend Milan. There is a much more open-minded attitude and many more services for expats ie. english-speaking doctors, international schools etc (although there is an international school in Como and a Montessori). Get in touch if you need more info but you're doing the right thing by learning Italian. It's a must here whereas in other parts of Italy there might be a few more people who speak English.
Thank you all for taking time to reply. Decisions, decisions... I think my heart is still in Como but my mind tells me we should start with Milan and maybe move in a year or so to Como. Any idea what are the nice/kids friendly areas to live in Milan? My husband will be working very central. Many thanks!
Old May 7th 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Eliane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we will be in Como for a few months this summer and am looking for activities and/or kindergartens for our son. Did you find a kindergarten for your daughter. Would love to know more...

Originally Posted by Sedmi
Hi Snow Drop,

we are moving there very soon, my husband is leaving this Sunday and he will have to find an apartment for us by January 19th, as I am flying there with the girls then. We do not speak any Italian, but I would like to learn. I found information about the playgroups here on this forum, that is how I found the forum, when I was looking for a kindergarden for my daughter there. But the thread is three years old and closed now.

Please send me your contact, so we can meet once we arrive and settle down a bit. Hope to see you soon
Old May 14th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

0906629m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone! particularly to snowdrop because I am from Glasgow and will be moving to Turin in a few months with my daughter to study! I am very apprehensive, I speak Italian well since i study it at uni, but just don't know where to start in regards to organization- particularly a nursery for the little one who will be almost 4!.. its quite a stress! Just thought I would post around, just joined this. P.s if theres so many British families in Como I should maybe go there instead! thank you for your help!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Valeria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sedmi
Hi, anybody living near Como with children? I have a three year old and a five months old, both girls. I am looking for some friends and some activities for the older one as well.
Hi Sedmi,
I am currently living in Seregno but I will move to Como on Sept. 29, 2011. I have a 15-month-old daughter and I'd really like to meet up and also join a toddler playgroup if there's any... I'm Italian but I'm speaking English with my daughter as I'd love if she could grow up bilingual.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Valeria
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Milanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really niceMilanista is just really nice

Hi everyone, I'm moving to Como next week to teach at the Montessori school and am glad to see so many English-speakers in the area. I would love to meet up and will be living near the centre of Como. Look forward to hearing from you!!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

KatyR is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while but I have only just moved to Cernobbio, Como, so I'm trying lots of different things!

I am 30 years old and have moved from London to be with my boyfriend, who is a local. My Italian is basic but I am taking lessons so that I can eventually work. I am a qualified osteopath and nurse with experience in childcare as well so if I can help any mums out with child are or babysitting in the interim then please get in touch.

On a social side, I enjoy running, swimming, cycling, walking, shopping, coffee and shopping and am keen to make some local friends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.