Reload this Page >

Moved to Vicenza

Moved to Vicenza

Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Moved to Vicenza

Hi everyone,

Me and my husband moved to Arcugnano, Vicenza in July 2006 from Yorkshire, England. I was wondering if there were any other site members in the area.
I am just starting to learn Italian so would appreciate any opportunities to practise my Italian or remember how to speak English!
If anyone would like to meet up for a chat and a cuppa then drop me a mail.

Carrie
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Manuelamaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved to Vicenza

Originally Posted by CarrieW
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband moved to Arcugnano, Vicenza in July 2006 from Yorkshire, England. I was wondering if there were any other site members in the area.
I am just starting to learn Italian so would appreciate any opportunities to practise my Italian or remember how to speak English!
If anyone would like to meet up for a chat and a cuppa then drop me a mail.

Carrie
Hello Carrie,
I am sorry I live to far to drop in for a cuppa (Piacenza is a little too far for that) but I will be pleased to practice both English and Italian with you! I really wonder how you feel in Arcugnano coming from Yorkshire. I still find it difficult living in Italy and are very homesick even if I came to Italy as a little girl!! Scrivimi quando puoi, mi fara' molto piacere.
Ciao
Old Oct 14th 2006, 10:41 am
Donna Edwards

Donederds is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carrie

My name is Donna and I moved to Schio at the end of September. I've come out to teach English not knowing a word of Italian! Big step for me and what an experience so far...

Would love to practice my English and Italian as am already craving to talk with spmeone in English properly instead of stilted, simplified English. Would love to know if you've come across any other English people here as well...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Donna Edwards
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moved to Vicenza

hi Carrie,
I moved over to Italy 8 years ago and now live near lake garda with my hubbie & twins. I used to live in Leeds and love going back home to recharge my batteries. Would be great to keep in touch with someone who has a normal sense of humour and tastes in food - i've recently found a shop here that sells loads of british food (marmite, branston pickle, stuffing, ambrosia custard.........).

Get in touch

see ya

k.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kathrynverona
hi Carrie,
I moved over to Italy 8 years ago and now live near lake garda with my hubbie & twins. I used to live in Leeds and love going back home to recharge my batteries. Would be great to keep in touch with someone who has a normal sense of humour and tastes in food - i've recently found a shop here that sells loads of british food (marmite, branston pickle, stuffing, ambrosia custard.........).

Get in touch

see ya

k.
Hello there,
I have just received your message to Carrie. I have been in Italy for many years unfortunately and feel very homesick particularly when the days are grey like today. I was reading you have found a shop that sells loads of goodies: please please let me know where it is and what other english products you can find! I live in Piacenza but I can always pop round!! Thanks a lot.
Manuela
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

hi,
the shops called British Market and its very close to the motorway exit Verona Nord, it's behind a huge Auchan supermarket. The bloke who owns it is british (i've never met him) and one othe women who works there told me he would be bringing over sausages, bacon and cheese shortly!!!!!!hurrah!!!!!!!
I found it by chance on saturday and nearly wet myself. I had to phone home to my mum to tell someone the news (italian hubbie just doesn't understand these things!) and afterwards I felt physically sick form the excitement of it all - how sad am I!

I think its a shop mainly for africans but there's a section with british food. In the auchan supermarket nearby there's also baked beans, caramel popcorn and bacon in the local lidl supermarket

happy shopping!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:29 am
Just Joined

hi,
the shops called British Market and its very close to the motorway exit Verona Nord, it's behind a huge Auchan supermarket. The bloke who owns it is british (i've never met him) and one othe women who works there told me he would be bringing over sausages, bacon and cheese shortly!!!!!!hurrah!!!!!!!
I found it by chance on saturday and nearly wet myself. I had to phone home to my mum to tell someone the news (italian hubbie just doesn't understand these things!) and afterwards I felt physically sick form the excitement of it all - how sad am I!

I think its a shop mainly for africans but there's a section with british food. In the auchan supermarket nearby there's also baked beans, caramel popcorn and bacon in the local lidl supermarket

happy shopping!
Hello Kathryn,
I thought I was mad looking for English products everywhere I go, but I get the feeling I am not the only one!!! I know exactly how you feel when you find any english product you get so excited.
Thank you very much for the information and if you happen to know when they get the sausages and cheese in let me know!! I'll be there like a shot.
Take care
Manuela
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

hi Carrie,

Get in touch

see ya

k.
Hi Kathryn,

Wow, small world - we moved here from Bradford, just up the road from where you come from!

Would be great to get together some time and talk about Ilkley moor and Yorkshire! We are originally from East London but lived in Yorkshire for just over 5 years.

Drop me an e-mail via my profile and maybe we can get together for a chat and a proper cup of tea!

Ciao
Carrie
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manuelamaria
Hello Kathryn,
I thought I was mad looking for English products everywhere I go, but I get the feeling I am not the only one!!! I know exactly how you feel when you find any english product you get so excited.
Thank you very much for the information and if you happen to know when they get the sausages and cheese in let me know!! I'll be there like a shot.
Take care
Manuela
Ciao Manuela - are you hi-jacking my thread?

Maybe this is a girls day out to see Kathryn coming up - shopping for Paxo stuffing and Heinz baked beans!

A presto
Carrie
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CarrieW
Ciao Manuela - are you hi-jacking my thread?

Maybe this is a girls day out to see Kathryn coming up - shopping for Paxo stuffing and Heinz baked beans!

A presto
Carrie
Hello Carrie,
don't what to hi-jack you at all!! Couldn't help asking about an English shop!!! I'd like to be the one coming up to do some shopping!!

A presto
Manuela
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Clarky7 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

happy shopping!
PROPER BACK BACON????? WoooooHooooo I'm on my way. Exit Verona Nord right?

Wayne
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Exit depends on where you're coming from.
Nearest is sommacampagna (the shop moved in november), at exit go left, straight on following signs for Peschiera. When you see some big oil tanks on the right and a huge shopping centre (Grande Mela) take a right towards the shopping centre. Take the first right just before the petrol station, go to the crossroads and then go left. The shop is on the right hand side.
It took me over 30 minutes to find it after it moved because there wasn't even a sign outside. Now it's quite easy to find.
If you exit at Verona Nord it's a bit more complicated but not too far all the same. Exit and stay on the left towards trento, stay on the dual carriageway until the exit for brescia/Gardaland then follow towards Peschiera. Go straight on, past Auchan on the right and you'll see Grande Mela on your left, follow the signs for the motorway towards Milano and then take a left when you see the oil tanks.
If you want to order something specific from the shop you can ask the owner (David) and he usually gets hold of it.
If you need bacon desperately you can find a streaky version in Lidl shops, not quite as good as back bacon but does the job.

I'm dropping in on my way home tonight and hoping to find some Cheddar cheese, think I might ask for a consignment of pork pies and branston as well......... spent too much time in the UK over Christmas getting used to these anglosaxon delights!

Happy shopping!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

dropped in for some shopping yesterday evening but very disappointed - very low stock and not much choice plus no cheese!!
I think the owners been on holiday so he hasn't been buying recently, hopefully this will change.
My glist yesterday included sure deodorant, ready brek, jalfrezi Patak paste, vimto fruit cordial, american hard gums, a dairy milk bar and a twirl - as you can see my new years resolution wasn't to eat healthily, however the chicken jalfrezi last night was delicious............
I'll keep you updated
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Clarky7 is an unknown quantity at this point

dropped in for some shopping yesterday evening but very disappointed - very low stock and not much choice plus no cheese!!
I think the owners been on holiday so he hasn't been buying recently, hopefully this will change.
My glist yesterday included sure deodorant, ready brek, jalfrezi Patak paste, vimto fruit cordial, american hard gums, a dairy milk bar and a twirl - as you can see my new years resolution wasn't to eat healthily, however the chicken jalfrezi last night was delicious............
I'll keep you updated
Hi Kathryn,

I think I know where you mean on the way to Peschiera, been there many o'time. If its cheddar your looking for, just let me know. Where I am is an American base here so I have many friends that can grab as much cheddar as you like. I am a HUGE curry lover and always on the lookout for Pataks paste. If you have a large PAM store near you, they should have it. It's where i get mine from, the only get in the Madras but I love that one in any case. Once again, if you need that too just let me know. I could grab a bunch of items for you and we could meet up sometime!

How about salt n vinegar crisps...........a weakness of mine. I can get those too but they are not as strong flavoured as our Walkers!

Wayne
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Clarky7

How about salt n vinegar crisps...........a weakness of mine. I can get those too but they are not as strong flavoured as our Walkers!

Wayne
Now Wayne, you'll get Manuela in Piacenza started about Walker's Salt & Vinegar crisps soon! (I know that is one of her weaknesses too!)

Coming from Bradford the thing we knew we would miss in Italy was a good curry but thankfully I am a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen and make my own from scratch now - funnily enough, I am doing curry for dinner tonight, complete with home made naan bread! Mmmmm.....making me hungry now

Have any of you tried an Italian curry yet? I know there are a few curry houses about in this area (I know of some in Padova and Venice) but I bet they are really mild compared to a good old Yorkshire 'Aagrah' Madras! Italian's can't take any sort of spicy food (well, those in the Veneto don't seem to anyway!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.