Move to Italy

Old Feb 11th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Move to Italy

Just wanted to ask if it’s far more difficult to move to Italy post Brexit heard a few people say that it’s much harder now.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 7:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Italy

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Just wanted to ask if it’s far more difficult to move to Italy post Brexit heard a few people say that it’s much harder now.
It's harder, but not totally impossible if you meet the visa requirements.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joinerboy
No, it's actually easier. Just go there, they'll give you money, free food and and accommodation.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
No, it's actually easier. Just go there, they'll give you money, free food and and accommodation.
Why would they do that??
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

I think he was being sarcastic ;-) Either on the basis of 'If you ask a stupid question etc...' Or maybe a joke about being illegal immigrants?

Anyway he forgot to mention the free wine, well I say 'free' it's more sort of obligatory - the Italians just keep forcing it on you no matter how much you refuse. And of course we're in the Southern part of the EU, so the place is just awash with money that Northern European countries have sent here, you can hardly move without falling over it (especially having drunk so much wine).

Serious answer to the original question? It's different. Think about it, how many individuals can say they have actually moved before Brexit AND after Brexit? I'm guessing zero, so we can't really compare the two experiences. The crucial point is that you no longer have a legal right to move within the EU (which you did have pre-Brexit), but you can apply to move to the EU using the visa/residency application system. People from other countries (American/Australians/Russians etc) have been doing that for years. Obviously the rules that apply are different depending on where you come and which EU country you want to got to, and your individual circumstances. There's a lot of uncertainty for Brits at the moment due to Brexit (and Covid), so yes in that sense it's much harder, because it's harder to understand what rules apply. But it was never easy to move to another country, which is why there are forums like this with people discussing how best to do it
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its more difficult. How much more difficult depends on what method you choose to move here. If its elective residency, then if you have a house and a healthy bank balance its easy. If you want to come to look for a job, its much more difficult.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
I think he was being sarcastic ;-) Either on the basis of 'If you ask a stupid question etc...' Or maybe a joke about being illegal immigrants?

Anyway he forgot to mention the free wine, well I say 'free' it's more sort of obligatory - the Italians just keep forcing it on you no matter how much you refuse. And of course we're in the Southern part of the EU, so the place is just awash with money that Northern European countries have sent here, you can hardly move without falling over it (especially having drunk so much wine).

Serious answer to the original question? It's different. Think about it, how many individuals can say they have actually moved before Brexit AND after Brexit? I'm guessing zero, so we can't really compare the two experiences. The crucial point is that you no longer have a legal right to move within the EU (which you did have pre-Brexit), but you can apply to move to the EU using the visa/residency application system. People from other countries (American/Australians/Russians etc) have been doing that for years. Obviously the rules that apply are different depending on where you come and which EU country you want to got to, and your individual circumstances. There's a lot of uncertainty for Brits at the moment due to Brexit (and Covid), so yes in that sense it's much harder, because it's harder to understand what rules apply. But it was never easy to move to another country, which is why there are forums like this with people discussing how best to do it
thanks for your reply
I have just a ‘little’ experience already living outside the uk, owned a property / lived in rural France about 15yrs ago and also lived in Ireland and have been living in Canada for nearly 10yrs now so you could say I served my expat apprenticeship lol
With living outside the UK / Europe for a number of years now I am not that up to speed with the whole Brexit News to be honest.

Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by malcom1970
oh how I have missed the expat forums..........
lots of ‘advice’ from people who I have never lived outside the UK giving others guidance on living outside the UK lol......

Last edited by joinerboy; Feb 12th 2021 at 2:17 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by modicasa
Yes its more difficult. How much more difficult depends on what method you choose to move here. If its elective residency, then if you have a house and a healthy bank balance its easy. If you want to come to look for a job, its much more difficult.
thanks for your reply
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
It's harder, but not totally impossible if you meet the visa requirements.
thanks for your reply
Old Feb 15th 2021, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by C.2s
Well, as a freelancer, I can tell you it's going to be virtually impossible for me to compare the two experiences because getting a visa as a freelancer is really, really difficult from what I've looked at from the experiences of other non-EU citizens in similar jobs. If you have a good job and a company in Italy wants you, they will probably be able to get you in, but for someone like me it would appear that the ladder has been pulled up, which makes me incredibly sad.