Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

gettiing residency and borrowing neighbours car

gettiing residency and borrowing neighbours car

Old Feb 11th 2021, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all
Default gettiing residency and borrowing neighbours car

Hi,just a thought,if we obtained residency could we use our Italian neighbours car if she insured it any driver.Could we also use our uk or idp without taking an Italian test and losing our uk licence.I thought you only have to take a test if you buy your own car,TIA.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gettiing residency and borrowing neighbours car

Firstly I would check double check and re check exactly what the cover is if you are driving someone else's vehicle Very often even if "any driver" is on the policy it only covers third parties if you are not the owner
I believe there was another thread about exchanging driving licences ie the EU and UK are negotiating mutual recognition so it may go back to how it was pre brexit but if that does not happen I believe your UK licence would be valid for 12 months then has to be changed You will not have to take a test
Old Feb 11th 2021, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Firstly I would check double check and re check exactly what the cover is if you are driving someone else's vehicle Very often even if "any driver" is on the policy it only covers third parties if you are not the owner
I believe there was another thread about exchanging driving licences ie the EU and UK are negotiating mutual recognition so it may go back to how it was pre brexit but if that does not happen I believe your UK licence would be valid for 12 months then has to be changed You will not have to take a test
Cheers,I'm taking our car over for 10 weeks this year in June hopefully,after we get the 2nd jab.Next year is when we have to decide what we will do.Perhaps things will change by then.Sounds like the EU are trying to bugger us up all round with trade and banking.Brian.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 2:33 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
Hi,just a thought,if we obtained residency could we use our Italian neighbours car if she insured it any driver.Could we also use our uk or idp without taking an Italian test and losing our uk licence.I thought you only have to take a test if you buy your own car,TIA.
You cannot drive a car that does not belong to someone in your household for more than 30 days. You can drive on your DL + an international DL for 1 yr from the date you request residency. Hopefully, by them the UK/Italy will have come some sort of agreement.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 2:35 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the EU are trying to bugger us up all round with trade and banking.Brian.
We bugged ourselves.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100
We bugged ourselves.
No worries,only going by todays news,moving goal posts etc.I'll leave the politics to TIO from now anyway.Thanks for info,I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again,could I hire a car for 6 months after being resident.Another thought,lol.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot drive a car that does not belong to someone in your household for more than 30 days. You can drive on your DL + an international DL for 1 yr from the date you request residency. Hopefully, by them the UK/Italy will have come some sort of agreement.
I have been driving a car belonging to another household for 9 years and the police have never said anything about the car ownership.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 6:23 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by philat98
I have been driving a car belonging to another household for 9 years and the police have never said anything about the car ownership.
Because you do it doesn't make it legal, and nor does just informing your insurance.
'La normativa attuale consente di guidare un'auto intestata a un'altra persona che non sia familiare convivente per non più di 30 giorni. Dopo i 30 giorni scatta l'obbligo di annotare, sulla carta di circolazione, il nome del possessore dell'auto.'

Last edited by 37100; Feb 11th 2021 at 6:26 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Because you do it doesn't make it legal, and nor does just informing your insurance.
'La normativa attuale consente di guidare un'auto intestata a un'altra persona che non sia familiare convivente per non più di 30 giorni. Dopo i 30 giorni scatta l'obbligo di annotare, sulla carta di circolazione, il nome del possessore dell'auto.'
Where does that come from?
I was stopped twice in the last few months. The police asked who the car belonged to and they made no comment.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 6:58 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by philat98
Where does that come from?
I was stopped twice in the last few months. The police asked who the car belonged to and they made no comment.
Couldn't get the link to work, but the normative is article 94 comma 4 bis. Well known if you follow Italian news.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
I'm a bit confused by this comment (and I'm an ex Car Insurance Underwriter). Can I clarify what you mean? Firstly, are you talking about Italian or UK insurance policies?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
I'm a bit confused by this comment (and I'm an ex Car Insurance Underwriter). Can I clarify what you mean? Firstly, are you talking about Italian or UK insurance policies?
Sorry for butting in but in my case it is Italian.A lot of people in our part of Italy have third party only,even on their own cover.Not my preference.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by C.2s
I looked up rules for driving somebody elses car and it said the same thing as LVCarefully.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for butting in but in my case it is Italian.A lot of people in our part of Italy have third party only,even on their own cover.Not my preference.
You're not butting in, you're helping to clarify the point :-)

Lots of people have third party only (RCA) in Italy and it's possibly not their preference either because:

1. the cost of fully comprehensive (maxi-kasko) is very high
2. Italian law stipulates that cars valued at less than 10,000 euro CANNOT be insured maxi-kasko - and the value is determined by a national framework of valuations not by the owner

For example, we bought a new car two years ago and the insurance renewal is on Sunday, and I was surprised to find that I can't get maxi-kasko for this renewal! Explains why there are so many beaten up cars driving around in Italy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.