Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance & Italian Postal System

Medical Insurance & Italian Postal System

Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

InBoccaAlLupo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance & Italian Postal System

Ciao a tutti!

I’m new to Italy, been here just over a month and slowly finding my feet. I’ve been reading the forums and found the answers to some of my questions but need a little advice from you hardcore expats.

I understand I have 90 days to register at the Anagrafe as I intend to stay here for at least 6 months, but from the info on the forum it suggests that I need to have proof of funds and medical insurance, and the E111 is not enough. So my question is, can any of you suggest a good company for medical insurance? (I’m under retirement age and not working) I currently have travel insurance for trips up to 90 days, so in theory as long as I return to the uk every 90 days it’s still valid, but don’t really want to do that.

Also, would I be right in thinking the Italian postal system is quite slow? Or could it be that as I haven’t registered at the Anagrafe yet, my post may be being used as a door wedge or something? Although I did receive one card from a friend in the uk, 4 weeks after she sent it! It had a nice little Poste Italiane sticker on it saying something along the lines of ’sorry if you didn’t receive this in time’ and with no explanation as to where it had been for 4 weeks. (I can hear you all saying “welcome to Italy“)

Thanks for any advice you can give me on this.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance & Italian Postal System

Ciao, and welcome indeed to Italy.
I hadn't realised that the post was considered a 'system'. Not had any post whatsoever for the last 10 days. Relatives worldwide keep ringing up thanking me for cards received; and asking 'have ours arrived yet?' No, they haven't. Last year got most of them just in time for Valentines day.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:38 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InBoccaAlLupo
Ciao a tutti!

I’m new to Italy, been here just over a month and slowly finding my feet. I’ve been reading the forums and found the answers to some of my questions but need a little advice from you hardcore expats.

I understand I have 90 days to register at the Anagrafe as I intend to stay here for at least 6 months, but from the info on the forum it suggests that I need to have proof of funds and medical insurance, and the E111 is not enough. So my question is, can any of you suggest a good company for medical insurance? (I’m under retirement age and not working) I currently have travel insurance for trips up to 90 days, so in theory as long as I return to the uk every 90 days it’s still valid, but don’t really want to do that.

Also, would I be right in thinking the Italian postal system is quite slow? Or could it be that as I haven’t registered at the Anagrafe yet, my post may be being used as a door wedge or something? Although I did receive one card from a friend in the uk, 4 weeks after she sent it! It had a nice little Poste Italiane sticker on it saying something along the lines of ’sorry if you didn’t receive this in time’ and with no explanation as to where it had been for 4 weeks. (I can hear you all saying “welcome to Italy“)

Do you need residency? If not, give it a miss.

Post has nothing to do with residency. In many, too many years, none off my post has ever gone missing. Some times takes ages and arrives dog chewed ,but it gets here. No more post, except for registered, on Saturdays though or when our postie is on his hols and he only delivers letters. Anything thicker and I have to pick it up at our post office.

Oh, and welcome!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome.

As for residency, if the Italian boot fits then I shall want to remain here, so I guess in time I will need residency in order to open a bank account etc etc. It was simply that I had read somewhere that if you are a uk citizen and intend to stay longer than 90 days then you must register at the Anagrafe within 3 months of arrival. Does that mean I don’t have to provide proof of funds etc and just simply ‘register’ without interrogation? Then deal with residency at a later date?

Nice to know that the post does get through eventually. Better tell my family and friends to send next year’s Christmas cards now!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:53 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcome.

As for residency, if the Italian boot fits then I shall want to remain here, so I guess in time I will need residency in order to open a bank account etc etc. It was simply that I had read somewhere that if you are a uk citizen and intend to stay longer than 90 days then you must register at the Anagrafe within 3 months of arrival. Does that mean I don’t have to provide proof of funds etc and just simply ‘register’ without interrogation? Then deal with residency at a later date?

Nice to know that the post does get through eventually. Better tell my family and friends to send next year’s Christmas cards now!
You should register if you intend to stay more than 90 days, but..........
You cannot simply register. You have to apply for residency with all the necessary proof, funds etc. Some regions allow you to buy into their health care. Where are you?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

I'm in Vicenza. I wanted to try and get everything as prepared as I can before I tackle the bureaucrazy in my limited Italian, so that means arranging medical insurance I expect.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:11 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Vicenza!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Grazie Duffer!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:54 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind most places won't even look at your application before 90 days either...so if you've only just arrived you have loads of time. They won't chuck you out without it as you are EU, but if you are going to need health care then get your insurance dealt with. Remember it has to one that is accepted for entry to the health service here, so you may need to check that out with the anagrafe too. They may insist an English policy is translated too.

Yes - a belated welcome to the forum!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome and your advice, and if anyone is from Vicenza and has private medical insurance please can you let me know which company you use. Grazie mille!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
You should register if you intend to stay more than 90 days, but..........
You cannot simply register. You have to apply for residency with all the necessary proof, funds etc. Some regions allow you to buy into their health care. Where are you?

Hi 37100,

Could you please elaborate on buy into their health care? What does it mean please?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Ciao a tutti!

Hi,

I don't know about residency etc (when I came it was completely different), but if you need medical insurance you could try contacting Italsure - http://www.italsure.it/
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need residency to open a bank account - you can open a non residents account, which will cost a little more in charges, but give you nearly all the services.

Yes, you should in theory get residency - but it is elective - as the law is an asino - you must have fiscal residency if you stay in Italy more than 183 days a year, but you must also have anagraphical residency if you stay more than 90. There have been law cases to show up the stupidity of this, but nobody I have ever met who works for the State knows the difference between the two and how the two can operate distinctly and separately. therefore you have to the full residency bit, even though you may not be resident for the 183 days necessary, and that means health insurance, proof of income and the rest.

In my case I got my residency when I signed a rental contract. For the years previously when I was pootling around italy and not doing much - ie not working, but having a very extended holiday - I didnt bother. I had travel insurance, and a UK passport, if I had stayed more than 90 days and something had happened, nobody would have known whether I had been out of the country for a long weekend and returned or not. Obviously it was not the most legal way to do things, but the Brits are treated very differently from other 'immigrants' in my experience - and nobody ever made a fuss about it. Not that i could advise others to do it, of course...
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the insurance link, I shall have a look. Also thanks for all the other info, it's given me something to think about and will tackle it all in the new year. But for now I wish everyone a very merry christmas and lots of Vin Brule'!

PS - It's a miracle, some post has arrived!