Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

family status certificate

family status certificate

Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

meph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family status certificate

After 5 years of living in the USA (brit ex-pats) we have just arrived in Sunny Avezzano. Yesterday actually, me the wife and 4 kids, what a nightmare, we are currently in a hotel and have a temp accommodation in the works. My work has helped no end and we have most things under control but we are struggling with obtaining a family status certificate, or understand what it is!. Can anyone explain what it is and how i go about getting one?

Thanks!

Last edited by meph; Aug 26th 2010 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: family status certificate

You can get one from your Comune when you have registered with them for residency, it's a "Stato di Famiglia" and will show all the particulars of each family member, i.e. date and place of birth and their current address of residence. Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PAT M
You can get one from your Comune when you have registered with them for residency, it's a "Stato di Famiglia" and will show all the particulars of each family member, i.e. date and place of birth and their current address of residence. Good luck.

ah well that's the problem, folk here seem to think that i can get it from the uk somehow...
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao, afraid you will find that officials here will never understand that the UK doesn't 'do' ID cards, or stati di famiglia or certificati di residenza. Best you can do from UK is certificates of hatches, matches, and despatches, and a passport.!
Try them for an autocertificazione?
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you're right about Italian bureacracy not understanding the British lack of certificates/ID's, when I married my Italian OH (40 years ago) I was asked to produce a "Stato di Famiglia", living in London, I phoned the Italian Consulate and they advised me to go to a Notary, I had never even heard the word before, it cost me nearly a month's wages, that was my first run in with life in Italy.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

ahh, what would we do without a notaio.My richest best friends are all they wonder where they got their money?
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

My wife and I needed a Stato di Famiglia certificate for a mortgage. We just told them we are just living together instead. Made no difference and was a lot easier.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ciao, can beat that one! A couple of years ago needed a 'stato di famiglia' and because of a mix up between anagrafi when we changed address about 20 years ago; was told that whilst my wife was registered as 'coniugata' with me; I was not married to her! Took a bit of shouting in high places to get that sorted.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meph
After 5 years of living in the USA (brit ex-pats) we have just arrived in Sunny Avezzano. Yesterday actually, me the wife and 4 kids, what a nightmare, we are currently in a hotel and have a temp accommodation in the works. My work has helped no end and we have most things under control but we are struggling with obtaining a family status certificate, or understand what it is!. Can anyone explain what it is and how i go about getting one?

Thanks!
Hi Meph,
welcome to the forum and welcome to Avezzano.

It is easy to get a stato di famiglia BUT only when you are all already registered as residents in your town hall (comune) so that needs to happen first.

A stato di famiglia is just a town hall print out that says :

The family of John Smith, resident in Via Rossi n.12 Avezzano is made up of the following family members ...

and then it lists the names, place of birth and date of birth of all the people in the family and what relation they are to John Smith - head of the family.

I hope that helps a little but just shout if you have any more questions.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi Meph,
welcome to the forum and welcome to Avezzano.

It is easy to get a stato di famiglia BUT only when you are all already registered as residents in your town hall (comune) so that needs to happen first.

A stato di famiglia is just a town hall print out that says :

The family of John Smith, resident in Via Rossi n.12 Avezzano is made up of the following family members ...

and then it lists the names, place of birth and date of birth of all the people in the family and what relation they are to John Smith - head of the family.

I hope that helps a little but just shout if you have any more questions.

Smashing Thanks!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

After a confusing and frustrating morning at the local government office, this subject has raised it’s ugly head again.....

I now have a fiscal code, and i am registered as living in Avezzano, but my wife and kids are not registered since my marriage certificate and the kids birth certificates are in English and not recognised, and on the system my married status is ‘unknown’ because I have a British marriage certificate.

The Local government employees tell me to contact the UK for multi lingual version of the same certificates. After some research on the British Embassy web page and a phone call to the Scottish Births and Deaths registrar it seems that

a/ I should have had the various documents ‘legalised’ by the Foreign & commonwealth office in London (before i left)

b/ I then have to get all the documents translated and then notarised.

Can anyone confirm that I’m on the right track here? Are there any alternatives to what will no doubt be a long drawn out and expensive process?

Thx
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had to have official notarised translations of british and marriage certificates - a simple translation is enough to satisfy the law.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by modicasa
I have never had to have official notarised translations of british and marriage certificates - a simple translation is enough to satisfy the law.

OK thx.

Were the documents which you had translated first legalised by the Foreign & commonwealth office in London?

thx
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I was able to register us using UK issued documents. The only time I ever needed anything translated was when I used OH's payslips to register myself. Although he works here his payslips are in English and I needed a letter from his employer saying who he was. You should be able to use your passports instead of the birth certificates, at least we did.

Also, we aren't married so OH wrote a letter (in Italian) saying that I was his financial responsibility. Maybe you could use this instead of a marriage certificate.

Are you working here? Is there someone there who can help you? Sometimes taking someone with you to fight your corner helps a whole lot.

Last edited by LivingHere; Sep 6th 2010 at 6:24 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

yes i'm working here and have had help but the government office is insisting that they will not register the wife or kids as residents without the equivalent certificates in Italian or multi lingual versions, which they also insist should be issued by the uk government, we were in the government office for an hour today going round and round in circles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.