Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance for expat in Italy

Medical insurance for expat in Italy

Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance for expat in Italy

Originally Posted by Ruby2
And the rules about NHS entitlement in England are here:

Am I entitled to NHS treatment when I move to England? - Health questions - NHS Choices

The public service ethic is still strong among health workers and many UK hospitals and GPs are resistant to being expected to act as gate-keepers to their services or having to make judgements about who and when to charge. The issue came to prominence in the British press recently when the government again proposed that health services and landlords should take responsibility for checking people's immigration status. It was seen as unworkable.
How can they do the job that the Border Agency fails to do ?
Doctors stick to the 10 minutes consultation time, impossible, especially if there is a language barrier as well.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander1
How can they do the job that the Border Agency fails to do ?.
Exactly. That's what they said.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Thanks for the link gioppino

Have given it a quick read.

If I've read it properly in my quick scan, if I move to Italy but don't work (I would be living with but not married to an Italian citizen and a fat chance of work in Italy's stitched up economy) I won't have access to the state health service? Not even if continuing to pay my UK (part of EU) national insurance stamp, nor be able to contribute to Italian social security stamp as a continuation of all my years of UK contributions?

But have to make private provision?

But Italians have free access to UK system through common EU rights?

Apologies if I've read it all too quickly and have also made use of google translate.

Yeap, that's right. Checked on Gov.it for fliss59 and it states clearly, that EU's must provide their own health care if not working or do not have a business. Sicily permits buying into health care because they are an autonomous region and have more freedom.

One option would be to get the cheapest possible renewable plan in the UK to gain residency. Then switch to a plan in Italy for the next 4yrs. After 5yrs of residency, insurance is no longer needed. I do not have personal experience, but most people seem to think that the Post Office's plan is the cheapest.

Last edited by 37100; Jun 29th 2014 at 12:49 pm. Reason: added 'residency'
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks 37100.

Two questions.

1: So after five years I would be entitled to Italian state healthcare on the same terms as Italians?

2: Five years after what?

Sorry to be so ignorant/troublesome.

I know a fair lot of Italians but they tend not to know about such things.

And the majority of them are within the warm embrace of the Italian state anyway.

Look forward to your continuing help.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks 37100.

Two questions.

1: So after five years I would be entitled to Italian state healthcare on the same terms as Italians?

2: Five years after what?

Sorry to be so ignorant/troublesome.

I know a fair lot of Italians but they tend not to know about such things.

And the majority of them are within the warm embrace of the Italian state anyway.

Look forward to your continuing help.
After 5yrs of residency, you are entitled to access health care on the same terms as Italians.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100

One option would be to get the cheapest possible renewable plan in the UK to gain residency. Then switch to a plan in Italy for the next 4yrs. After 5yrs, insurance is no longer needed. I do not have personal experience, but most people seem to think that the Post Office's plan is the cheapest.
Or marry an Italian citizen?
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Or marry an Italian citizen?
Sunnysider said he would be 'living with, but not married to an Italian citizen'.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link gioppino

Have given it a quick read.

If I've read it properly in my quick scan, if I move to Italy but don't work (I would be living with but not married to an Italian citizen and a fat chance of work in Italy's stitched up economy) I won't have access to the state health service? Not even if continuing to pay my UK (part of EU) national insurance stamp, nor be able to contribute to Italian social security stamp as a continuation of all my years of UK contributions?

But have to make private provision?

But Italians have free access to UK system through common EU rights?

Apologies if I've read it all too quickly and have also made use of google translate.
In general terms after 3 months of stay in ANY EU country, you have to show evidence that you have necessary means to live in the country. Some local councils in Italy recognize the so called "unioni di fatto", roughly equivalent to common-law marriages, therefore you need to check with the council where you are going to live if they recognize this intitute. If they do, I could say that you could be entitled to full access to the Italian health system.

Each "Regione" can determine their own implementation of the health system regulation, so I would eventually check with a local union if that is the case. You don't need to be registered with the unions, they usually give free advice once a week for non members.

This is the theory. You will learn that the practice could be quite different in Italy. I bet that if you go the local "ASL" speaking a good Italian, with a valid passport and a valid "Iscrizione anagrafica", they will most likely register you anyway.

Last edited by gioppino; Jun 29th 2014 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

I've re-read the whole thread and I struggle to understand who the OP was. I think fliss said that she was about to retire or she has retired? In this case she would be allowed full access to the Italian Health system.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Fliss said she and OH are too young to receive their state pensions. It is only people in receipt of UK state pensions who can transfer their free health care entitlement to the Italian health service with the S1 form. But patsypasco and sunnysider have also been asking about health insurance and their circumstances seem to be different. Yes, a bit confusing.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Doris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant future

Just a quick heads up regarding health cover for " early retirees", which is being phased out, the last day for applications is tomorrow and you can apply up to four weeks in advance of your departure from the UK.
Early retirees rule change - healthcare abroad - NHS Choices
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:22 pm
Concierge

For Gioppino. The problem is not the ASL, but the anagrafe. Without proof of health cover of some kind you cannot register and if you aren't registered you can't register with the ASL.

Fiss said they are 'early retirees' and do not have a state pension.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks for the responses. Everyone on here seems very helpful. Will have to investigate further and hope that we can pay in to the SSN wherever we end up. Am loathe to be subject to private insurance - it sticks in the craw after 35yrs working in the NHS but suppose we may have to. Anyway on a brighter note we start our road trip to Italy tomorrow via Folkestone and Chamonix. Due in Le Marche on Wednesday. Am looking forward to it as haven't been to Italy since October. Thanks again.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Fliss said she and OH are too young to receive their state pensions. It is only people in receipt of UK state pensions who can transfer their free health care entitlement to the Italian health service with the S1 form. But patsypasco and sunnysider have also been asking about health insurance and their circumstances seem to be different. Yes, a bit confusing.
Thanks for clarifying Ruby.

Apologies if I confused the thread but my questions appeared to be on topic.

Everyone has been very helpful to both Fliss and me.

And the issues raised and so ably answered by folks will stand here and doubtless be useful for folks passing this way in the future.

have a great trip fliss.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
For Gioppino. The problem is not the ASL, but the anagrafe. Without proof of health cover of some kind you cannot register and if you aren't registered you can't register with the ASL.

Fiss said they are 'early retirees' and do not have a state pension.
Forgive me for butting in here, but your comments reminded how Italy was and still is the land of Catch 22 situations.
First met them when I came here 50 odd yers ago. Couldn't have a permesso di soggiorno if I didn't have a libretto di lavoro, couldn't have a libretto di lavoro if I didn't have a permesso di soggiorno, and couldn't have a job if I didn't have both.
bye bye dicette l'inglese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.