British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Medical insurance for expat in Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/medical-insurance-expat-italy-837125/)

pastypascoe Jun 22nd 2014 2:23 pm

Medical insurance for expat in Italy

Hi everybody,

I have the European Health card for medical emergencies, but as I live in Italy full time and also do sports such as rock climbing, I wondered if it was worth getting some kind of medical insurance, as I know the card doesn't always cover all health care.

I've tried to look on the internet but it is so confusing to find coverage, especially for expats, so far I have only found insurance for small trips!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 23rd 2014 10:40 am

Re: Medical insurance for expat in Italy

Originally Posted by pastypascoe (Post 11311754)
Hi everybody,

I have the European Health card for medical emergencies, but as I live in Italy full time and also do sports such as rock climbing, I wondered if it was worth getting some kind of medical insurance, as I know the card doesn't always cover all health care.

I've tried to look on the internet but it is so confusing to find coverage, especially for expats, so far I have only found insurance for small trips!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Hi, do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

Have you got residency? How did you get that without already having health coverage?

You're not emplyed here?

Try the Post Office. They offer a health insurance policy but I'm not sure if it's just the big ones or all of them.

fliss59 Jun 27th 2014 7:30 pm

We're about to put our house in the UK on the market to live full time in Italy. I took early retirement last week and my OH finishes at end of next month. We're too young for state pensions but will need to access a Dr and prescriptions once in Italy. Will we be able to pay into the Italian NHS rather than having private health insurance? Having worked in the British NHS for 35 years I would much rather be part of the state system than pay for private insurance?

sunnysider Jun 27th 2014 7:40 pm

fliss

Folks on here know way more about these things than me (I'm not in Italy) on both the health insurance and finance fronts, and am also aware that this may be going a bit off topic (not aiming to derail it)

but did I imagine it or did someone sell their house in the UK, THEN move to Italy pronto so that they effectively became tax resident for that year and then get stung for the "income" falling in that year?

Others will know about this issue or non issue (modicasa?) and I stress that I'm not saying anything is the case.

Just asking.

modicasa Jun 28th 2014 4:50 am

Depending where you retire to, your region may allow you to take out 'assicurazione voluntaria' which is a sort of state medical insurance. The problem is that some regions only allow it for nonEU citizens which creates all sorts of problems. If you are not in a region that will permit it, you have no choice other than to go private either for the first 5 years or until you reach state pension age.

Sunnysider - yes, techincally its possible. Everyone wants your money - but you can only be tax resident in one country at a time, so if its not one its the other. You just have to decide which tax office is the most aggressive...

fliss59 Jun 28th 2014 8:12 am

Thanks Modicasa. We've not decided an exact location yet - are looking in Le Marche and Abruzzo next week, so something to be considered.

sunnysider Jun 28th 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 11317812)
but you can only be tax resident in one country at a time, so if its not one its the other. You just have to decide which tax office is the most aggressive...

Thanks for your reply modicasa but i thought that you weren't necessarily at liberty to choose your tax residence - ie: If you were in Italy for more than 6 months in the tax year you are automatically deemed to be tax resident there.

Thanks for your expertise.

37100 Jun 28th 2014 8:32 am

Originally Posted by fliss59 (Post 11317897)
Thanks Modicasa. We've not decided an exact location yet - are looking in Le Marche and Abruzzo next week, so something to be considered.

Only a couple of regions allow you to buy into the health system. Sicily, certainly. Le Marche & Abruzzo, I don't know, but I'll have a look to see if there is anything.

fliss59 Jun 28th 2014 7:28 pm

Many thanks. That would be very helpful. I'm also looking from this end.

modicasa Jun 29th 2014 5:04 am

Yes, but it depends which six months. Italian tax year is solar - Jan to December, UK is April to April - so it does depend when you move as to which country claims your tax for that year..

sunnysider Jun 29th 2014 9:22 am

Thanks modicasa.

Another ignorant question (tho I did know about the different tax years).

Looking from outside, I'm bemused (or more) by this apparent need for a Brit (EU citizen) to take out private health care in Italy.

Wouldn't an Italian citizen moving to the UK (London in particular is stuffed with young Italian economic refugees) have free access to the UK health service?

gioppino Jun 29th 2014 9:46 am

It's all here:
Come funziona l’assistenza sanitaria per i cittadini europei? - Stranieri in Italia

highlander1 Jun 29th 2014 10:02 am

Originally Posted by sunnysider (Post 11318654)
Thanks modicasa.

Another ignorant question (tho I did know about the different tax years).

Looking from outside, I'm bemused (or more) by this apparent need for a Brit (EU citizen) to take out private health care in Italy.

Wouldn't an Italian citizen moving to the UK (London in particular is stuffed with young Italian economic refugees) have free access to the UK health service?

Yes, absolutely, as well as just about anybody else, even if one is from the planet Klingon, ( outer ellipse of Alpha Centaury ).:sneaky:

sunnysider Jun 29th 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for the link gioppino

Have given it a quick read.

If I've read it properly in my quick scan, if I move to Italy but don't work (I would be living with but not married to an Italian citizen and a fat chance of work in Italy's stitched up economy) I won't have access to the state health service? Not even if continuing to pay my UK (part of EU) national insurance stamp, nor be able to contribute to Italian social security stamp as a continuation of all my years of UK contributions?

But have to make private provision?

But Italians have free access to UK system through common EU rights?

Apologies if I've read it all too quickly and have also made use of google translate.

Ruby2 Jun 29th 2014 10:10 am

And the rules about NHS entitlement in England are here:

Am I entitled to NHS treatment when I move to England? - Health questions - NHS Choices

The public service ethic is still strong among health workers and many UK hospitals and GPs are resistant to being expected to act as gate-keepers to their services or having to make judgements about who and when to charge. The issue came to prominence in the British press recently when the government again proposed that health services and landlords should take responsibility for checking people's immigration status. It was seen as unworkable.