Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Language schools in Milan? Study visa?

Language schools in Milan? Study visa?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Language schools in Milan? Study visa?

Hey guys,

I am going to be moving to Milan in 2.5 months. I am moving to be with my boyfriend, so will probably go the student visa route as I am going to need to enrol in Italian classes anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on learning Italian- i.e how long I should enrol for (looks like I can do anywhere between 2 weeks and a year!) and where to go (there are so many language schools!). I was thinking of studying Italian for 6 months, does that sound reasonable? My goal is fluency, but clearly that won't happen in 6 months.

Just as an aside- I don't know if you'd know this, but is there any way to apply for a student visa to start a month after you arrive? For example, I want to come in early Feb, but we want to do some travel for about 6 weeks before I start school. The visa information on the web for Italy is a bit confusing. Just wanted to throw that out there and see what I get back

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Language schools in Milan? Study visa?

Hi Sunnyjt

I work in an Italian language school in Florence (in the enrollment office, not teaching obviously!). In my experience if you’ve got the funds and time to do 6 months you will reach a decent language level. Any longer at the same school and you may find yourself repeating the same programme again. Being fully immersed in the language and hearing it around you every day will really help.

The study visas for the students we have here are all valid from the day they actually arrive in Italy. You need to check with the Italian embassy in the country where you’ll apply for the visa if it is possible to postpone the visa start date but in my experience it’s not likely