Kindle wi-fi

Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Kindle wi-fi

If i buy a Kindle wi-fi (not 3G) in the UK will it be able to download books from Italian based wi-fi
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:03 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle wi-fi

Yes, you can use it at home, wi-fi hotspot or anywhere worldwide, where there is a b,g or n wi-fi signal with most authentication methods supported.

Likewise with the 3G version, a UK bought Kindle will work worldwide, free of charge, i.e no data fees, anywhere where there is a 3G mobile signal.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:48 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. My OH has the US 3g and Wi-fi and downloads books in Spain, Italy and the UK. Check, as we got ours off the US site, but I'm pretty sure the UK one is international too....The US one definitely is. The reason I say check is that the UK one is only available to buy and be delivered within the UK - when this was the case with the US only one it meant you could only buy books with a Credit card registered to a US account and with a US address.....No clue if that is the case with the UK one.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice

I opted for the 3G version just to be safe but the wifi only version works fine. I love my kindle, it is great and works brilliantly here in Italy and even at the airport boarding the plane!

I ordered mine through Amazon UK and had it delivered to my oldys and then picked it up the last time I was home. Great
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:47 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

It seems if you want your Kindle delivered to Italy, you would need to order it via the Amazon.com US site, who ship it worldwide, stating which type of power adapter you require, i.e. UK, European, etc.

Although, if you can, it would be quicker having someone in the UK ordering it and then forwarding it on. Takes ages for things, at least for me, to arrive from the states.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
It seems if you want your Kindle delivered to Italy, you would need to order it via the Amazon.com US site, who ship it worldwide, stating which type of power adapter you require, i.e. UK, European, etc.

Although, if you can, it would be quicker having someone in the UK ordering it and then forwarding it on. Takes ages for things, at least for me, to arrive from the states.
7 to 9 weeks delivery from the US for a kindle for Italy
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:04 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! We ordered ours to a UK address from the US and it arrived in 3 days....It must be Christmas and Thanks Giving causing the delays....I'd still check that you can buy books from the UK one with an Italian registered card and address - unless Cherry B can confirm that's what she is doing?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Sony e-reader. Having had the choice to view both (which incidentally use similar operating systems) I voted with my feet and bought the e-reader. Google, e-reader v kindle for comparisons and despite being a big fan of Amazon, I think the e-reader gets the edge.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:29 pm
The Original Red Head!

It's because it's tied into Waterstone's or was and their book prices are ridiculous compared to Amazon plus there is far less choice. We looked about 2 years ago so if it's changed dramatically since then, fair enough!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a thread on this in the lab.
You have to be careful. If you buy in the UK then your kindle will be registered to the amazon.co.uk address. If abroad it will get registered to the amazon.com site. So you will then start to download from the relevant site. However a lot of books on the UK site arent available to non UK residents.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Sony e-reader. Despite being a big fan of Amazon, the e-reader is the better product in my opinion.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apologies, Testarossa, I think my edited message has been posted. I thought I'd lost it into the big ether.

That said, the e-reader is not tied into Waterstones (and never has been). You can pretty much download from whatever site you want including Amazon. If WH Smith are the cheapest, then go there etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:32 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Apologies, Testarossa, I think my edited message has been posted. I thought I'd lost it into the big ether.

That said, the e-reader is not tied into Waterstones (and never has been). You can pretty much download from whatever site you want including Amazon. If WH Smith are the cheapest, then go there etc.
That was why I said if it's changed, then fair enough!

When we started looking at the Sony it was when it had just come out and at that time is was exclusive to Waterstones. I didn't see how it could survive like this so it sounds like neither could they!

Mitzyboy - you have the option - with the Kindle we bought from .com - to switch back and forth from .com to .co.uk and my OH does this on a regular basis. Both sites restrict downloads of certain books (if they aren't in regular print in that country then you can't get it) and the .com site restricts some because we are in Europe, so you can't get in the UK in that particular imprint either. We have also found though that the prices differ and it's worth checking both before purchasing. I have no clue if you can switch back and forth with the Kindles bought in .co.uk.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TestaRossa, I don't want to split hairs with you but the Sony e-reader was never tied into Waterstones e-book library. Waterstones had a very short exclusive deal to sell the actual device (two weeks) and after that it was available through other retailers. John Lewis and WH Smith were amongst the first to take up the e-reader and both straight away undercut Waterstones on their pricing of the actual device. At no time did Waterstones have an exclusive deal on their e-book product. From the outset, the e-reader was compatible with other e-book retailers. Unlike the kindle, it has never been tied into just the one source. If you shop around prices do vary. I like the e-reader because it gives you that choice. (otherwise both devices are more or less the same).
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa

Mitzyboy - you have the option - with the Kindle we bought from .com - to switch back and forth from .com to .co.uk and my OH does this on a regular basis. Both sites restrict downloads of certain books (if they aren't in regular print in that country then you can't get it) and the .com site restricts some because we are in Europe, so you can't get in the UK in that particular imprint either. We have also found though that the prices differ and it's worth checking both before purchasing. I have no clue if you can switch back and forth with the Kindles bought in .co.uk.
If thats a new thing then thats good, but on Kindle forums up until quite recently there was a lot of talk about people who had bought in the UK and lived abroad, as soon as they had been downloading from abroad for a while they found themselves being shifter to .com, and then they couldnt download a lot of books from the .uk site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.