Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Joining the library in italy

Joining the library in italy

Old May 15th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Joining the library in italy

I was wondering, in general what might I need to go along and join my local library, just so I have a general idea and are they like libraries in the uk in terms of borrowing stuff etc?
Old May 15th 2009, 11:06 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the library in italy

They asked for a carta d'identità here but I presume a passport or driving license is just the same.

Borrowing is the same thing ...... you can get fined just the same too for returning late books.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Well we all have Carte di Identite here so that will be fine for us. Brill. Thanks Lorna.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I used my English photo driving licence to join the local library here (giving me access to all the libraries in my commune) and they were quite happy about using that for ID.

I've used the two libraries closest to me and the system for taking books out is much the same as in England - apart from there's a lot more paperwork involved (surprise, surprise).

In one of my libraries I have to write out on a bit of paper my name, date, library card number and ref number of books I'm taking. Then the librarian files this piece of paper, scans the book ref numbers into the computer and also stamps the date of return onto a bookmark (one bookmark for each book I take). When I take the books back they stamp the bookmark again (I have to keep the bookmark to act as a receipt to show they have collected the books back from me).

In other other library I hand my ticket and books over, get the date stamped bookmark and that's it.

The other funny thing about these libraries is the selection of English language books. There's occasionally the odd Catherine Cookson or Stephen King but an awful lot of the books are more classical authors like Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope, George Elliott.

Anyway I like reading and read lots so I'm more than happy to have access to whatever books they have
Old May 15th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks linaf. Really useful to know!! I was hoping perhaps the kids might be able to get stuff to help with their reading and stuff as books are really expensive to buy here!! Less wastful for trying stuff before we buy too!!
Old May 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I haven't got children so haven't been in the children's section but both libraries I go to have got big children sections so hopefully you'll find something for all of you

You're right about the expense of buying books here - it's great having the library. Linda
Old May 15th 2009, 1:02 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The library here has children's dvds for rent too but there's nothing much in the way of English books. A book of poems and one or two old English Lit books.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good!! My son needs to improve his ITALIAN reading and not his english reading!! Far too much English reading going on in my oppinion!!
Old May 15th 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
Good!! My son needs to improve his ITALIAN reading and not his english reading!! Far too much English reading going on in my oppinion!!
Not any good for me though

I trawl the charity shops in England looking for as many cheap books as I can find. I've tried reading in Italian but it bores me sometimes and I can't just skim read and get a good story - I have to concentrate that little bit more.

That becomes a pain if you like reading a little in bed before turning the light out.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm I suspect I am going to be the same too Lorna. I get too much pleasure out of English really!! This is why I always remember the Book Depository and I always trawl about for second hand books when back in the UK too, however my dh doesn't share my love and just moans about how heavy all these books are!!
Old May 15th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

I've found second-hand books in English here. One university bookshop in Padova is always having a 50 cents book sale - most of the books are in Italian but every so often there is an English 'reading' book and I grab it quickly. A few weeks ago they had Wuthering Heights which I've never read before and I really enjoyed it.

The other strange place is in a video-store in one of the suburbs that we pass through on our way home from Padova. They also have second-hand books, mainly in Italian, but sometimes an English book pops up and I buy it. I say strange simply because I've never seen any other pizza shops selling on used books.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by indiebird
I always trawl about for second hand books when back in the UK too, however my dh doesn't share my love and just moans about how heavy all these books are!!
Re the weight of books - once you've got more than 6 or 7 books they are quite heavy and I've heard a couple of people lately complaining about airline staff checking the weight of carry-on flight luggage and making them pay extra if the weight is over or their bag is too bulky.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:44 pm

My daughter's school bag often weighs more than my hand luggage. There is always talk in September of how heavy the bags are and what weight is acceptable or not for school kids to carry, research and such like but the system never gets changed.

I'd happily give the school upto 50 euros if it meant them buying a locker for the kids.

When I was at the Holy Communion on Sunday you should have seen the amount of blue 20 euro notes I saw in the collection baskets being pased around. I bet there was enough in them to buy lockers for more than one school ! (rant rant rant).
Old May 15th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

I heard this said before - that the children are carrying really heavy school bags every day. Is it just the sheer amount of books they need for that day or are they supposed to take other stuff as well?
Old May 15th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

it is mostly books.... every single flipping book every day.... except that my son always manages to leave the exact book that he needs for homework at school.... I am thinking of buying my daughter some wheels for september when she starts.... she is waaay too small to be carrying around all that stuff!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.